The Journals of Annabelle Johnson 1961

The Journals of
Annabelle Johnson

January 1, 1961 – Sunday.  Cloudy and dull.  No one went to church from here.  I did very little reading.  Watched TV a while.January 2, 1961 – Monday.  Stormed in the night.  Snow turning to rain.  Wrote some letters and did some reading.

January 3, 1961 – Tuesday.  A nice day.  Done the washing and ironing.  I brought the mat downstairs that I put in before Alfred took sick last winter.

January 4, 1961 – Wednesday.  A snowstorm began about 6 a.m.  Bad when the school bus got to the village,so did not go any further.  The flu burnt out this morning.

January 5, 1961 – Thursday.  Snowed some more.  No school in the country schools.  Leon got the yard cleared out.  I was working at the mat.

January 6, 1961 – Friday.  A nice day.  I shoveled snow by the mail box this forenoon.  Was working at the mat.

January 7, 1961 – Saturday.  Soft weather.  Some rain early in the morning.  Heather spent the day with me.  We made cookies and a plum pudding.  Mable over tonight.

January 8, 1961 – Sunday.  Soft.  Thawed all day.  Very slippery on the road.  We were all down to church.  Had a good sermon.  Subject “Happy” – Matthew 5, 1961 – the Beatitudes.

January 9, 1961 – Monday.  Snowy and soft.  Very slippy.  I did some hooking.

January 10, 1961 – Tuesday.  Fine and sunny.  Quite cold.  Got the washing and ironing done today.  I worked at the mat.

January 11, 1961 – Wednesday.  Cold morning.  15 below zero.  I worked at the mat and went to Ladies Aid at Muir Patterson’s.  Went up in the school bus.

January 12, 1961 – Thursday.  Fine.  Very slippery.  Called off the WMS meeting.  I did some hooking.

January 13, 1961 – Friday.  Cold morning.  Fine day.  Ester and I down to the store in the afternoon.  Homer, Joan, Mable and Kevin here in the evening. I was to the Credit Union.

January 14, 1961 – Saturday.  Soft.  Ice very slippery.  Cleaned and dusted around.  Done some chores about the house.

January 15, 1961 – Sunday.  Fine and sunny.  Colder.  Mr Burrill’s text was James 3:10, 1961 – “Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing , my brethern.  These things ought not to be”.

January 16, 1961 – Monday.  Fine.  Not very cold.  Roads icy.  Busses late getting away in the morning.  Doug got off the road.  The washing dried and a drizzle in the evening.

January 17, 1961 – Tuesday.  Snow on the ground and not so slippery.  A little more came.   Graham and Leon butchered a steer.  I was working on the mat.

January 18, 1961 – Wednesday.  A lovely morning.  Nasty and snow squalls in the p.m.   The WMS met here in the afternoon.  Seven members and Ester present for the meeting.

January 19, 1961 – Thursday.  Fine.  Cold.  Ester and Leon went to Truro in the afternoon. Mr Burrill called in the afternoon.  Baked gingerbread and made custard.  Was hooking.

January 20, 1961 – Friday.  A snow storm began about 9:30 a.m.  The school bus came back about 10:30.  The wind was high and very cold.

January 21, 1961 – Saturday.  The storm has subsided.  The snow is in banks.   A school bus in P.E.I. was stalled all night with 15 children and the driver.  All well.

January 22, 1961 – Sunday.  Bright and lots of sunshine.  Cold.  15 below zero in the morning.  I spent a lazy day.  A bit under the weather, so was quiet and warm.

January 23, 1961 – Monday.  Fine.  Cold day.  I spent a quiet day.  Elsie, Brenda and Franklyn here in the evening.  Also Bert Hamilton.  He took Bill to Otterbrook.

January 24, 1961 – Tuesday.  Cold.  Did the washing and they dried quite good.  I did a little sewing and finished reading a book “Pilgrim’s Paradise”.

January 25, 1961 – Wednesday.  Very cold morning.  15 below zero and was cold all day.  The wind was blowing.  I bound a mat foundation.

January 26, 1961 – Thursday.  Fine, cold morning.  16 below zero.  The wind blew and we felt it.  Ester and I went to the store.  I put in a mat.

January 27, 1961 – Friday.  Still cold.  Storm warnings this morning but it changed course.  We put  a quilt in this afternoon.  Rolled it twice.  A fine evening but cold.

January 28, 1961 – Saturday.  Fine and still very cold.   Heather spent the day with me.  Homer, Joan and Sandy went to Truro to a Dentist appointment.

January 29, 1961 – Sunday.  Fine.  Not quite so cold.  Was at church.  Mr Mack, the secretary of the Leper Mission was the speaker.

January 30, 1961 – Monday.  Cold.  10 below zero.  A little snow in the afternoon.  Got the washing dried some.  Did some quilting.

January 31, 1961 – Tuesday.  A very cold day.  15 below zero this morning.  We finished the quilt.  I was at Homer’s for supper.  Another birthday for me.  I had cards and letters.

February 1, 1961 – Wednesday.  Colder than yesterday.  I put the binding on the quilt and kept the fires going.  Wrote some letters.

February 2, 1961 – Thursday.  Still cold.  40 below zero some places in Nova Scotia.  Went to Ladies Aid at Mrs Artie Kennedy’s.  A big supper.  My tap at the sink is frozen.

February 3, 1961 – Friday.  Fine.  Only about 12 below zero this morning.  Nice in the afternoon.  Ester walked up to Roy Patterson’s.  The sink frozen this morning.

February 4, 1961 – Saturday.  Cold and a raw wind.  Snow storm warning out.   Homer was working at the sink pipe.  No water going through yet.

February 5, 1961 – Sunday.  Cold and raw wind.  Did not get snowstorm that was forecast.  We went to church.  Had a Temperance Sermon, “Beware of the First Step”.

February 6, 1961 – Monday.  Fine and not so cold.  Clothes dried well.  Jim came home Saturday for 2 or 3 days.

February 7, 1961 – Tuesday.  Fine.  Not so cold.  I was over to Herman’s in the afternoon.  Jim went back to Dartmouth.  I worked at the mat a little.

February 8, 1961 – Wednesday.  Pretty cold in the morning.   Washed my sweaters.  Priscilla called.  She has hurt her knee.  Don is in the hospital.

February 9, 1961 – Thursday.  Fine.  A nice day.  Milder.  Left Upper Stewiacke at 10:20.  Got a bus at Brookfield.  Jim met me at Bedford, and arrived at Priscilla’s at 12;30.

February 10, 1961 – Friday.  Not very cold.  Snow in the afternoon.  Streets very slippery.  The Doctor in to see Priscilla this evening.  No broken bones.  Made 2 mince pies.

February 11, 1961 – Saturday.  Some cloud and mild.  Vacuumed the floors and done the housework.  Donna and Leda got pretty wet playing in the snow.

February 12, 1961 – Sunday.  A beautiful day.  Sun shone bright.   Donna and Leda went to Sunday School.  Had a call from our neighbour.

February 13, 1961 – Monday.  Fine.  A nice day.  Priscilla washed and the clothes dried fine.  She is feeling much better.

February 14, 1961 – Tuesday.  Fine in the morning.  Stormy in the afternoon.  Snow mixed with rain.  Jim brought me over to Amanda’s at Westphal in the afternoon.

February 15, 1961 – Wednesday.  Clear and bright.  Not a heavy fall of snow.  Amanda washed and I baked a cake and got the vegetables ready for dinner.  Done some mending.

February 16, 1961 – Thursday.  Fine and sunny.  Cold.

February 17, 1961 – Friday.  Fine.  Not so cold.  Some snow in the evening.  Amanda and Alex did their grocery shopping.

February 18, 1961 – Saturday.  Fine in the morning.  Cloudy in the afternoon.

February 19, 1961 – Sunday.  Some rain and foggy all day.  Graham and Winnie here in the afternoon for a while.

February 20, 1961 – Monday.  Fine.  Streets slippery.  Amanda got her washing done.

February 21, 1961 – Tuesday.  Another fine day.  Some thawing in the afternoon.  I did some braiding on a rug.

February 22, 1961 – Wednesday.  Nice mild day.   Sewed 2 rounds on the rug.  Priscilla called.  Don is home and feeling better.  Their house is being redecorated.

February 23, 1961 – Thursday.  Mild with clouds.  Done some dusting and work on a rug.  Jim brought my letters, paper and sweater to me this afternoon.

February 24, 1961 – no entry

February 25, 1961 – Saturday.  Mild.  Soft and foggy.

February 26, 1961 – Sunday.  Rain heavy in the morning.  Freezing and snow in the evening.  We called at Evelyn’s, and Graham’s.  Went to church in the evening.  Called at Peter and Carrie’s.

February 27, 1961 – Monday.  A howling wind through the night.  Colder today and clearing.

February 28, 1961 – Tuesday.  Not so cold.  Amanda did her washing.  I am working at the rug.

March 1, 1961 – A beautiful fine day.  I visited Mable Creelman.  Had a nice time. Eddie, Evelyn and girls here in the evening.

March 2, 1961 – Thursday.  Snowing.  Nor very cold.  Jim came and I went over to Priscilla’s.  This is her birthday.  Don brought me back in the evening.

March 3, 1961 – no entry

March 4, 1961 – Saturday.  A beautiful fine day.  Done some chores around the house.  Alex and Amanda went to Halifax to meet Angus Bezanson.  He went to his home.  His father had died.

March 5, 1961 – Sunday.  Snow in the morning.  We went in to David’s in the afternoon.  David and Nellie’s little girls are cute.

March 6, 1961 – Monday.  Fine.  Was a cold morning.  Amanda washed in the afternoon.

March 7, 1961 – Tuesday.  Snowing and blowing.  Some freezing rain.  Working at this rug.  It is getting to look nice.   I talked to Ina Harvey on her birthday.

March 8, 1961 – no entry

March 9, 1961 – Thursday.  A stormy day.  Snow, wind, hail and rain.  I was lacing on the rug.

March 10, 1961 – Friday.  Cold wind.  Angus Bezanson and his sister here to dinner and supper.

March 11, 1961 – Saturday.  Fine.  Was over to the shopping centre in the morning.  Went out to the Airport in the p.m.   Angus and his sister left for home.  Priscilla and family went to Upper Stewiacke.

March 12, 1961 – Sunday.  Fine day.  Very slippery out around the buildings.  We were to church in Woodlawn.

March 13, 1961 – no entry

March 14, 1961 – Tuesday.  Fine.  I did some ironing and worked at the rug.

March 15, 1961 -March 17– no entry

March 18, 1961 – Saturday.  Fine day.  Was a cold night last night.  I worked on the last round of braids for the rug.  Did not get it sewed.  It is very pretty.

March 19  – Sunday.  A very nice day.  Alex and Amanda brought me home.  A nice day to drive.  Lots of snow piled in places.

March 20, 1961 – Monday.  Fine in the morning.  Cloudy in the afternoon.  Ester did the washing.  I fixed up my rooms and got the place dusted after being away 6 weeks.

March 21, 1961 – Tuesday.  Not very fine.  Snowing and blowing.  I did not do much.   The school bus came back before noon.  Vaughn Johnson had his appendix out last evening.

March 22, 1961 – Wednesday.  Sunny and bright.  Not a very big fall of snow.  The wind piled it up.  I was hooking at the mat I had in before I went away.

March 23, 1961 – Thursday.  Fine and bright.  I did some hooking.  The snow softened up a lot.

March 24, 1961 – Friday.  Not so fine and storming in the evening.  Was down to the store.  Baked cookies and biscuit.  Frances Blaikie had her appendix out.

March 25, 1961 – Saturday.  Cold raw wind.  Did a bit of cleaning, made a Brown Betty, and hooked at the mat.  Heather and Homer in a while.

March 26, 1961 – Sunday.  Snow squalls and wind.  I stayed quiet.  Have a little cold.  61 years today since my mother died of cancer in her breast.

March 27, 1961 – Monday.  Nasty and cold.  The wind high.  I done some reading and hooking.  Sent 4 letters – Julia, Mrs Hamilton, Myrtle, and Amanda.

March 28, 1961 – Tuesday.  Finer.  Got the washing dried.  I worked at the mat.  Mr Ross Graves was at Ester’s to supper, and we talked about history and family.

March 29, 1961 – Wednesday.  no entry

March 30, 1961 – Thursday.  Dirty weather.  Very wet underfoot.  Had a new calf.  I was busy hooking.

March 31, 1961 – Friday.  A little snow in the morning.  Baked rolls and a stirred loaf.  I finished the mat.  Down to the store in the evening.  Homer  drove me.

April 1, 1961 – Saturday.  Fine and warm in the morning.  Clouded over in the afternoon.  Heather here today.  I went up to Bev’s in the afternoon.  Neil came for me.

April 2, 1961 – Sunday.  Rained last night.  Cleared.  Rika, Bev, Neil, Eldon and I went to church in Springside.  Easter Communion Service.  I came home in the evening.

April 3, 1961 – Monday.  Cold with snow squalls.  Lynn went to Truro to the Allied Youth Conference.  Got a truck-load of wood.

April 4, 1961 – Tuesday.  Finer.  Got the washing dried and ironed.  Also dressed 6 fowl.  Put a quilt in.

April 5, 1961 – Wednesday.  Cloudy and raw.  Killed 8 fowl this morning.  We were quilting.

April 6, 1961 – Thursday.  Cloudy.  Jim and Leda came up from Shearwater this morning.  Busy quilting.

April 7, 1961 – Friday.  Cloudy and some soft snow and rain.  Jim and Leon went fishing.  So much snow they did not get to the lake.  Finished the quilt.

April 8, 1961 – Saturday.  Cloudy and wet.  Heather spent the day.  Leda had dinner with us.  Ester and I went to Aid at Mrs Roy Patterson’s.  Quilted.

April 9, 1961 – Sunday.  Sun shining bright.  We went to church.  Nancy sang a solo.  Sandy visited me and had supper.

April 10, 1961 – Monday.  Fine and sunny.  Got the washing and ironing done.   I was working on the quilt binding.  Up to Mrs Roy Patterson’s in the evening, quilting.

April 11, 1961 – Tuesday.  A rain storm.  I finished binding the quilt.  It is very pretty.  Done some mending and other jobs.

April 12, 1961 – Wednesday.  Cool and cloudy.  Ester, Leon and I went to Truro in the morning.   I called on Mr and Mrs  George Hill and Mary Carter.

April 13, 1961 – Thursday.  Not very fine.  Went to WMS meeting at Mrs Put Fulton’s.  Stayed at Homer’s to supper.

April 14, 1961 – Friday.  A nasty cold day.  Rain and squalls of hail.  Baked brown bread, gingerbread, and made salmon loaf.  Party at Brookfield High School.

April 15, 1961 – Saturday.  Cloudy and squally.  Did a few cleaning-up jobs.

April 16, 1961 – Sunday.  Sun shone for a while.  We were to church.  The text was “Be filled with the Spirit”.  Homer and family called in the evening.

April 17, 1961 – Monday. Wet and a cold wind.  Was pasting clippings into my scrapbook.  Sandy and Homer stayed a while in the evening.

April 18, 1961 – Tuesday.  The ground white with snow in the morning.  Some squalls in the afternoon.  Worked some on the scrapbook.  Ester called on Mrs Redden.

April 19, 1961 – Wednesday.  Finer.  A good wash day.  A good breeze for the clothes.  Still cold.  I cleaned the bedroon window and the venitian blind.  Done the ironing.

April 20, 1961 – Thursday.  A fine day.  Warmer.  I cleaned the bedroom.  Took me all day.  Homer, Joan, Heather, Mable and Kevin here for a call.

April 21, 1961 – Friday.  Fine and bright.  Baked a cake, biscuits and cookies.  Jim came home this evening.

April 22, 1961 – Saturday.  Fine.  Quite warm and nice.  Doing some odd jobs.  Ester and the boys burnt some old grass and did some raking.

April 23, 1961 – Sunday.  A cold wet day.  Jim, Leon, Ester and Iwent to church.  Text was  second Timothy, 3:5.

April 24, 1961 – Monday.  Not very fine.  The clothes dried enough to iron good.  I sewed and knit some.

April 25, 1961 – Tuesday.  Not very fine.  Did some house-cleaning of my room.  Stanley Fisher died suddenly last night.

April 26, 1961 – Wednesday.  Some squalls of rain.  I worked at cleaning the room.  Homer and Sandy here for a while.

April 27, 1961 – Thursday.  Finished washing walls and got the floor done and waxed.  Harvey Laffin died last night.  The funeral tomorrow at 2:30 p.m.

April 28, 1961 – Friday.  Fine and bright.  We washed a big wash of curtains, bedding and household articles.  Rhoda and Sarah Dickie called in the evening.

April 29, 1961 – Saturday.  Fine.  Not so warm as yesterday.  Baked gingerbread and cleaned some more in the pantry.   Nancy, Heather and Homer here for a while.  Leon and Lynn cutting posts.

April 30, 1961 – Sunday.  Cold.  Some rain, and mixed with snow in the evening.  No church.  Mr Burrill sick with the flu.

May 1, 1961 – Monday.  Cold and a raw wind.  Washed and ironed.  Elsie called.  She had been to the Doctor in Musquodoboit.  The roads bad in Pembroke.

May 2, 1961 – Tuesday.  Cold wind.  Rain and hail by evening.   Ester took a load of scholars to the Musical Festival in Brookfield.  Homer, Joan and 3 children here.

May 3, 1961 – Wednesday.  Cleared and warmer in the afternoon.  I cleaned the spoons and knives and forks.  Did a little sewing.  Heather sang a solo this morning at the Music festival.

May 4, 1961 – Thursday.  Fine.  The wind cold.  I piled some wood.  Ester got some apples today.

May 5, 1961 – Friday.  Fine.  Ester washed the bedclothes and they dried well.  I was to Mrs Roy Patterson’s to Aid.  We went to the concert at BRHS.

May 6, 1961 – Saturday.  Fine.  Wind still cold.  Baked 2 pies and biscuit.  The boys were up to Berry Hill fencing.  Ester and I transplanted the tomatoes.

May 7, 1961 – Sunday.  Fine and quite a lot warmer than we have had before this spring.  Church service in the evening.

May 8, 1961 – Monday.  Damp morning.  Cleared later.  Ester down to the Bookmobile and I was to the store.

May 9, 1961 – Tuesday.  Got the washing done.  Very windy.  Hard to keep the clothes on the line.  I put in a mat.  Got a little bit done.

May 10, 1961 – Wednesday.  Fine.  Warmer.  Fred and Vina Bustin, Arch, Marjorie and Bert Hamilton had supper with me.  A nice visit.  Homer got the sink drain opened.

May 11, 1961 – Thursday.  Fine.  Bright sunshine.  I went to WMS at Mrs Roy Blaikie’s.  Stayed to supper. Leon was harrowing.

May 12, 1961 – Friday.  Fine.  Some warmer.  I done some hooking.  Jim came home this afternoon.

May 13, 1961 – Saturday.  Fine and warm.  A little fine rain in the morning.  A good growing day.  Homer got the sink place fixed today.  The boys tore the old cement out that was under the old toilet.

May 14, 1961 – Sunday.  Mother’s Day.  Fine and warm.  Went to church in the morning.  Homer, Joan and I went over to Pictou.  Called on Dot.  Also Lottie.  Was at Marie’s to supper.

May 15, 1961 – Monday.  Fine.  Got the washing and ironing done.  Ester and I got some garden planted, radish, lettuce, potatoes, peas, beets, carrots and parsnips.

May 16, 1961 – Tuesday.  Fine.  Ester, Jim and I were in Truro this afternoon.  Jim was at the Blood Donor Clinic.  Ethel Deyarmond called.  I hooked some.

May 17, 1961 – Wednesday.  Rain in the night.  Cleared in the afternoon.  Cooler.  Ester and I set out some rhubarb.  I baked 2 stirred loaves of bread.

May 18, 1961 – Thursday.  Fine.  Cold wind.  Baked brown bread and a cake.  Got some hooking done on the mat.  Called on Ella after supper.

May 19, 1961 – Friday. A cold wind blowing.  Rain in the evening.  Burnside Ladies Aid met with me in the evening.  Priscilla and family came.  Leon sowed the oats.

May 20, 1961 – Saturday.  Wet day.  Heather came over in the afternoon.  Donna, Leda and Heather had supper with me. I did not do much today.

May 21, 1961 – Sunday.  Quite fine, but cold wind.  Church in the evening.  Mr Burrill’s text “I will come again”.  The Junior Choir done well. Don was fishing.  Caught 9 trout.

May 22, 1961 – Monday.  Fine.  Rain by dark.  Don, Priscilla and the girls went home after dinner.  The boys took the cattle to pasture.  Mrs Sam Cox died today.

May 23, 1961 – Tuesday.  Not very fine.  I got some hooking done.

May 24, 1961 – Wednesday.  Finer.  Got the washing done and went to the auction at Jim Fulton’s estate.  I got a set of Shakespere’s books for $8.00.

May 25, 1961 – Thursday.  Fine.  Ester over to the Upper Musquodoboit station.  I visited Mrs Hamilton at Mrs William Dean’s.  We had supper with them.

May 26, 1961 – Friday.  Fine.  We done some work at the strawberry patch.  A high wind blowing.

May 27, 1961 – Saturday.  Baked biscuit and a pie.  Wind blowing hard.  The boys sowing lime and fertilizer.

May 28, 1961 – Sunday.  The wind blowing hard.  Rain in the night.  I stayed quiet.  Was up to Berry Hill where the cattle are in pasture.

May 29, 1961 – Monday.  Fine.  Still a high wind blowing.  We washed and ironed and I did some work on the mat.

May 30, 1961 – Tuesday.  Dark.  Rain in the afternoon and most of the night.  Ester and I made calls in Eastville, and I went to Elmer’s with Homer in the evening.

May 31, 1961 – Wednesday.  Finer.  I did some baking and we piled wood.

June 1, 1961 – Thursday.  A nice day.  Washed the floor in the morning.  Had Ladies Aid in the afternoon.  Eight had supper together.

June 2, 1961 – Friday.  Cloudy.  I hoed the peas in the morning.  Rained before noon.  Leon just got to work at the rolling before the rain.

June 3, 1961 – Saturday. Cleared in the morning.  Nice afternoon.  Baked a squash pie and visited at William Miller’s in the afternoon.  Almon  brought me home.

June 4, 1961 – Sunday.  Fine.  I packed my suitcase and Leon and Ester drove me to Truro. Went with Mac and Eleanor to Stewiacke.   Visited Mrs E Carter.

June 5, 1961 – Monday.  Cloudy.  Was out in the yard with Mary when she was working at her flower garden.  Also went for some plants to transplant.

June 6, 1961 – Tuesday.  Finer.  A bit warmer.  I had my eyes tested for glasses.  Will get them tomorrow.  Doctor McKean tested my eyes.  Charged $5.00.

June 7, 1961 – Wednesday.  Fine.  I walked up to Burlock’s and got my glasses.  I paid $34.00 for them.  Was up to Mrs Stanfield’s house in the evening.

June 8, 1961 – Thursday.  Fine.  I left Truro at 11:30 a.m., and came to Rockfield, Pictou County.  Roy and Marie met me.

June 9, 1961 – Friday.  Rained in the night and did not clear till late afternoon.  Marie washed some and we did a lot of talking.

June 10, 1961 – Saturday.  Rain.  Earl Graham took me over to George’s in the morning.  George and I went to Mrs Albert Graham’s and was there for supper.  Had a nice day.

June 11, 1961 – Sunday.  Sunny but cool.  We were to church in the afternoon and then went for a drive.  Roy and I visited Lottie in the evening.

June 12, 1961 – Monday.  fine day.  Some rain on the road from Pictou to Truro.  I was at Mary Carter’s to dinner.  Ester came to Truro to meet me.  I was away a week.

June 13, 1961 – Tuesday.  A close, hot day.  Did not do much.  Was over to Homer’s.  He is laid up with a sore leg.  Heather’s birthday.

June 14, 1961 – Wednesday. Rain most of the day.  I worked at the mat.  Over to Homer’s when Leon took the milk over.  Homer is improving.

June 15, 1961 – Thursday.  Cleared.  Was busy at the mat.

June 16, 1961 – Friday.  Fine.  A nice day.  Ester and the boys to Truro.  I baked brown bread, cake and gingerbread.  Homer, Joan, Mable and Kevin called.

June 17, 1961 – Saturday.  Fine.  The wind blew quite high.  Leon was mowing the lawn.  Homer got some garden planted.  I finished my mat.

June 18, 1961 – Sunday.Fine.  Lots of sunshine.  Ester and Lynn went to Brookfield to the church service for the students.

June 19, 1961 – Monday.  A nice fine day.  Got the washing and ironing done and I did some hoeing in the garden.

June 20, 1961 – Tuesday.  Fine.  Wind blowing hard.  Was hoeing some.  Did some reading.

June 21, 1961 – Wednesday.  Fine.  Cloudy in the afternoon.  I went to the Graduation of the Juniors at Brookfield.  Leon, Nancy and Sandy passed their grades.

June 22, 1961 – Thursday.  Cloudy.  Rain in the afternoon and evening.  I visited Mrs Frank Fulton and had supper with her.

June 23, 1961 – Friday.  Cleared by afternoon.  Quite warm.  I baked an orange loaf, a cake, also a jelly-roll.  Jim home tonight.  Lynn writing exams.

June 24, 1961 – Saturday.  Fine.  Did some sweeping and dusting.  Ester, Jim and I were up to the cemetery after supper.  Took some peonies.

June 25, 1961 – Sunday.  Fine.  Homer and family called a few minutes in the afternoon.  Was to church.  The Masonic Lodge had the St John’s Day Service.

June 26, 1961 – Monday.  Fine.  Did the washing and then I hoed some in the garden.

June 27, 1961 – Tuesday.  A nice day.  I went to Burnside in the mail.  Visited Elsie and her family.  Grant took me over to Maggie’s in the evening.

June 28, 1961 – Wednesday.  Fine.  Pretty hot.  Maggie and Italked all day.  Had a good visit with her.  Ester came for me after supper.

June 29, 1961 – Thursday.  Fine.  We went to Truro in the morning.  Home before noon.  Ester went to the sale of cattle in the afternoon with Roy and Gertie Patterson.

June 30, 1961 – Friday.Thunder showers in the morning.  Cleared.  Homer was to Dartmouth for a treatment for his back.  Picked strawberries.

July 1, 1961 – Saturday. Fine.  Lynn went to Truro to work.  Washed up the floors and baked biscuit and a small cake.  Ester and I up to Walter and Donald Graham’s in the p.m.

July 2, 1961 – Sunday.  Fine and warm.  We were to Berry Hill to see the cattle in the pasture in the morning.  To church service in the evening.

July 3, 1961 – Monday.  Rain in the morning.  I was over to Herman’s a few minutes.

July 4, 1961 – Tuesday.  Foggy in the morning.  Cleared in the afternoon.  Lelia Dickie rushed to hospital in the night.  Improved this evening.  Picked 35 boxes of berries.

July 5, 1961 – Wednesday.  Fine.  We put berries down in the freezer and made jam.

July 6, 1961 – Thursday.  Fine.  David Dickie and Martha Dickie Crawford arrived from California and Alberta.  Had a good trip.

July 7, 1961 – Friday.  Fine and hot.  Picking berries is the order of the day this week.

July 8, 1961 – Saturday.  Fine.  Not so hot as yesterday.  Heather here to spend the day.  David and Sarah Dickie and Marty called.David and Marty drove from Alberta.  Sarah will be going home.

July 9, 1961 – Sunday.  Cloudy.  Went to church in the morning.  Rev Morley Bentley was the minister. His text was “Go forward”.  I was over to Homer’s to supper and to Dean to visit the Kindervater’s.

July 10, 1961 – Monday.  Not very fine.  Sun shone a little in the afternoon.  We picked berries.  Got about 50 boxes.

July 11, 1961 – Tuesday.  Not a hay day.  Got the washing and ironing done.  Baked 2 strawberry pies and a pudding.  Got about 20 boxes of berries.

July 12, 1961 – Wednesday.  Fine.  A good hay day.  The hay-loader gave out, so have a baler.  Got 354 bales done tonight.

July 13, 1961 – Thursday.  Fine.  Baked a cake for the supper.  Had a nice supper at the hall in the afternoon. Salad and strawberries.

July 14, 1961 – Friday. Another good hay day.  Picked a few strawberries.  Piled some wood, and dusted and cleaned up the floors.   854 bales off tonight.

July 15, 1961 – Saturday.  Another fine day.  Heather and Mable sent the day with me. Homer and Joan went to Tatamagouche for Nancy.  I got my shoes fixed.

July 16, 1961 – Sunday.  Fine and cool.  No church service in Upper Stewiacke.  Ester and I drove to Eastville in the afternoon.  Called on Mrs A. and Andrew.  Amanda here in the p..m.

July 17, 1961 – Monday.  Rain this morning.  Ester, Lynn and Leon went to Truro in the morning. Did the washing in the afternoon.

July 18, 1961 – Tuesday.  The boys were hoeing at Put Fulton’s.  Not very fine.  Bullett got hit with the mail car.  Took him in to the Animal Hospital.

July 19, 1961 – Wednesday.  A bad electric storm in the afternoon.  Some damage in the village.  David and Sarah Dickie and Marty Crawford here to supper.  Called on Mr and Mrs W.P. Miller.  50 years married.

July 20, 1961 – Thursday.  Cleared but still sultry.  Did some sewing.  The boys brought a load of hay home from the interval.

July 21, 1961 – Friday.  Not a very good hay day.  Hot and sultry.  Got enough berries for supper.  The last, I guess.   Mr and Mrs Aubrey Graham have a daughter, born yesterday.

July 22, 1961 – Saturday.  Rain in the morning.  Rain in the afternoon.  The boys went to Truro in the morning for a part for the mower.  Brought the dog home.  Lynn went to work in Truro.

July 23, 1961 – Sunday.  A nice fine day.  Ester and I went to church, Communion.  Rested all the afternoon.

July 24, 1961 – Monday.  Fine.  Nice breeze.  Did the washing and got some hoeing done in the garden.

July 25, 1961 – Tuesday. Not very fine.  The boys got some hay up.  Having some trouble with the mowing machine.  Lynn home.  His day off.

July 26, 1961 – Wednesday.  Shower in the morning.  Cleared in the afternoon.  Ester and Leon went to Truro for a part for the mower.  Perley and Lelia called in the afternoon.

July 27, 1961 – Thursday.  Fine and cool.  Lots of hay on the road these days.  Ester and I visited Lelia in the afternoon.  She got home from the V.G. Wednesday.

July 28, 1961 – Friday.  Fine.  The boys finished haying at the interval.  Was to the store in the afternoon, and called at Homer’s.  Over to Geordie Dean’s.  Took Freeman home.

July 29, 1961 – Saturday.  Fine.  Leon finished haying this afternoon.  Ester and I went to Eric Purchase’s funeral this afternoon. I had supper at Homer’s.  Mable’s birthday.

July 30, 1961 – Sunday.  Not very bright.  A cool day.  The church service was at 8 p.m.  Mr Burrill’s subject was “I am the bread”.  Sandy had supper with me.

July 31, 1961 – Monday.  Fine.  Washed and ironed.  I cut out a dress and sewed up the skirt.  Homer, Joan, Mable and Kevin here a while.

August 1, 1961 – Tuesday.  Fine.  Cool this evening.  Mrs Robert Peterson’s funeral was this afternoon.  She was about my age.  Married the same year – 1905.

August 2, 1961 – Wednesday.  Fine.  Ester, Lynn. Nancy and Sandy picking raspberries.  I spent the morning with Bev and Rika.  Picked some peas and put them in the freezer.

August 3, 1961 – Thursday.  Fine.  Not so bright as yesterday.  Mrs Frank Fulton and Heather had dinner with me.  We had new potatoes, carrots and peas.

August 4, 1961 – Friday.  Overcast in the morning.  Ester, Leon, Nancy and Sandy went picking raspberries.  Heather over to spend the day.

August 5, 1961 – Saturday.  Quite warm.  Sun shone in the afternoon.  I was finishing up some sewing.  Lynn got his exam papers marks.  He passed, also Vaughn.

August 6, 1961 – Sunday.  Cloudy.  Some sun in the afternoon.  We went to church in the evening.  Mrs George Durning sang a solo and Mr and Mrs Durning sang a duet.

August 7, 1961 – Monday.  Slow clearing, so not a good hay day.  We washed and ironed.  I sewed some.  Picked the first string beans tonight.

August 8, 1961 – Tuesday.  Cloudy.  Cleared by night.  We picked 8 pails of peas, and shelled 7.  Canned some and put some into the freezer.

August 9, 1961 – Wednesday.  Fine.  A hot afternoon.  I was to the Old Home Picnic.  Met up with Martin.  There was a lot of people from far and near.

August 10, 1961 – Thursday.  A hot day.  Getting very dry.  We picked peas and froze them, and beans and canned some and froze some.  Mable spent the day with us.

August 11, 1961 – Friday.  Fine.  A good breeze.  Not so hot.  Cleaned up a bit and did not get much done.  We are planning a trip for tomorrow.

August 12, 1961 – Saturday.  Very hot.  Ester, Heather and I left home at 8 a.m. Picked up Louise Brown and went to Brule.  Was at the Festival of the Arts in Tatamagouche in the afternoon.

August 13, 1961 – Sunday.  Fine.  Not so hot.  Cool in the evening.  Heather had a grand time in the water in the morning.  Lloyd McInnes, TV announcer, gave her his autograph.  Was at the Arts Festival in the evening.

August 14, 1961 – Monday.  Fine.  A beautiful morning over the water.  Heather had a motor-boat ride in the morning.  We came home after dinner.  A lovely week-end at the beach.

August 15, 1961 – Tuesday.  Fine.  We got the washing done.  Canned 4 pails of beans.  Jim and Lynn came home after supper.

August 16, 1961 – Wednesday.  Cloudy.  Some thunder with rain in the afternoon.  Baked brown bread and cookies and dusted the rooms.

August 17, 1961 – Thursday.  Clear and sunny after the storm.  Quite a severe storm in Truro.  Washed the floor and waxed it.  The WMS Auxillary held their meeting here.

August 18, 1961 – Friday.  Fine and cool.  I piled some wood before breakfast and did more through the day.  Ester, Leon and Herman were picking blueberries.

August 19, 1961 – Saturday.  Fine.  Pretty hot.  Baked a blueberry pie.  Piled some more wood. Seymour came to Herman’s this morning unexpectedly.

August 20, 1961 – Sunday.  Fine.  Went to church in the evening with Ella.  Mr Raynor, our minister years ago,was the speaker. The car is broken.  Homer and family were to the beach.

August 21, 1961 – Monday.  Cool.  Not very bright.  We did the washing and ironing, and canned 3 1/2 pails of beans.  I greased Seymour’s nose this morning.

August 22, 1961 – Tuesday.  Cloudy.  Did not rain.  Seymour called this morning, and we went up to the cemetery.  Sewed a mat foundation into the frames.

August 23, 1961 – Wednesday.  A nice day.  Baked blueberry muffins and a jelly-roll.  Patched a few bags to help Ester.  Worked at the mat a little.

August 24, 1961 – Thursday.  Fine day.  Herman was threshing this afternoon.  I was working at the mat.

August 25, 1961 – Friday.  Fine.  Finished threshing at Herman Johnson’s and went to David Kennedy’s.  Had callers: Elsie, Vada and Martin.  Don, Priscilla and girls came in the evening.

August 26, 1961 – Saturday.  Dark.  Rained by noon.  Baked biscuits and cookies.  Was hooking some.  Lynn is home today.  Joan and Homer’s Anniversary.

August 27, 1961 – Sunday.  A wet morning and cloudy in the afternoon.  Had a grand rain last night.  Alex, Amanda and I went to Burnside in the afternoon.  Was at Murray’s for supper.  Chester and Bertha were there.

August 28, 1961 – Monday.  Some rain squalls.  I went to Upper Musquodoboit with the Hutchinson’s in the afternoon.  Made some calls and had supper with Mrs Neil Archibald.

August 29, 1961 – Tuesday.  Fine.  We got the washing and ironing done.  The Hutchinson’s went along on vacation.  The Exhibition opened in Truro today.

August 30, 1961 – Wednesday.  Fine.  Ester and I went up to Walter’s and had a visit with  Marie and children.

August 31, 1961 – Thursday.  Fine.  Did not do much.  Was hooking at the mat.  Leon was threshing at David kennedy’s in the afternoon.  He was to the Exhibition in the evening.

September 1, 1961 – Friday.  Not very fine.  Rain before evening.  Got part of the threshing done.  Don, Priscilla, the girls and Lynn got here about 11 p.m.

September 2, 1961 – Saturday.  Cleared in the afternoon.  Made a pie.  Did some work on the mat.  Don, Priscilla and girls left for B.C. about 7:30 a.m.  Going by car.  A long trip.

September 3, 1961 – Sunday.  Fine.  Quite cool.  Was at church this evening.  Mr Burrill’s text was “Work out your own salvation”.

September 4, 1961 – Monday.  Cloudy.  Rained by evening.  Did not get the washing dried.  Woodie brought me some apples.  Nancy and Kevin called.  Lynn went to Dartmouth.

September 5, 1961 – Tuesday.  No sunshine.  Ironed the clothes.  Baked a gingerbread and worked at the mat.  Jim came home for his 2 weeks vacation.

September 6, 1961 – Wednesday.  Cleared up today.  Had a salseman called.  He put on quite a show.  School opened today.

September 7, 1961 – Thursday.  Fine.  Finished the mat.  The thresher here  this  afternoon. Went to Aid at Mrs Fred Power’s.

September 8, 1961 – Friday.  Fine.  Baked 2 apple pies and made apple sauce.  Baked cookies and brown bread.  Chester and Bertha here to supper.  Threshing finished at Herman’s.

September 9, 1961 – Saturday.  Foggy in the morning.  Fine in the afternoon.  Swept and dusted up the rooms.  Lynn came home for the week-end last evening,.

September 10, 1961 – Sunday.  A nice day.  Went to church in the morning.  Went to Berry Hill to see the cattle.  Homer, Joan, Mable and Kevin called in the evening.

September 11, 1961 – Monday.  A hot day.  Got the washing done.  I piled some wood.  Ester and I made some calls after supper.  Mrs Richie Barrett, Lelia Dickie, and Louise Brown.

September 12, 1961 – Tuesday.  Fine.  Not so hot.  Did not do much.  Had a stiff neck.  Another birthday of the twins.  18 years old.  Lynn is in Dartmouth.

September 13, 1961 – Wednesday.  Fine.  Did not do much.

September 14, 1961 – Thursday.  A wet day.  I was at Edna Blaikie’s to dinner.  Homer’s to supper and WMS in the afternoon.

September 15, 1961 – Friday.  Cloudy.  Very warm.  Ester, Leon and I went to Truro.  Was at Mary Carter’s.  Nellie and her new husband were there – Charlie Brooks.  They were married September 10th.

September 16, 1961 – Saturday.  Dark in the morning.  Cleared and cooler in the p.m.  Bert and Stella Hamilton called in the morning.  I baked a pumpkin pie.

September 17, 1961 – Sunday.  A bright sunny day.  Church in the evening.  Had a surprise.  Allie and Jennie were at church and here for a cup of tea.  Much colder.

September 18, 1961 – Monday.  Fine.  Frost last night.  A busy day.  Washed and ironed.  Ester down to Brookfield.  Picked the tomatoes.  Canned pears and tomatoes.

September 19, 1961 – Tuesday.  Fine.  I was sewing and baked some biscuits for strawberry shortcake.

September 20, 1961 – Wednesday.  A nice day.  Allie and jennie here to dinner.  Then we went to Bev’s, Bert Hamilton’s and Annie’s.  I was at Homer’s for supper.

September 21, 1961 – Thursday.  Cloudy.  Hurricane “Ester” coming this way.  I did some sewing and mending.  I expect Allie and Jennie left for home.

September 22, 1961 – Friday.  Fine.  The storm warnings are down.  Did not get any here.  Vada, Elsie and Margaret called.  They came for tomatoes.

September 23, 1961 – Saturday.  Fine.  Very warm.  Baked apple cake and Anamdama bread.  Cleaned up the house a bit.

September 24, 1961 – Sunday.  Fine.  Very warm.  Was to church.  Mr Burrill’s text was” God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten son”.

September 25, 1961 – Monday.  Very warm and humid.  Rain in the evening.  The washing dried.  I was to the Doctor’s.  I have arthritis in my neck and shoulders.

September 26, 1961 – Tuesday.  Some showers.  Still humid.  Jim went back to the N.S. Hospital.  He will train for Orderley work for 10 months.

September 27, 1961 – Wednesday.  Sunny and still warm.  Baked some biscuits and cooked a few apples.  David Crockett called from Roxbury.  All well there.  I spoke to all.

September 28, 1961 – Thursday.  Cloudy.  Did not do much.  A little reading.

September 29, 1961 – Friday.  Fine.  Cooler.  Baked 2 pies and cookies. We put in some wood.  Was down to the store after supper.

September 30, 1961 – Saturday.  A beautiful day.  Cooler.  Did some dusting around.  We piled some wood.  Brought in the pumpkins.

October 1, 1961 – Sunday.  Hard frost this morning.  Fine day.  Amanda, Alex, Allister and Eleanor here to supper.   Church service in the evening.  Text “Choose you this day whom you will serve”.

October 2, 1961 – Monday. Fine.  A good wash day.  Got some wood and ends of wood in.  Looks like rain.  Lynn came home in the evening.

October 3, 1961 – Tuesday.  Cloudy and humid.  A thunder shower about supper time. I cut out a dress for myself today.

October 4, 1961 – Wednesday.  Rain, by times heavy.  Ester and Leon took Lynn to Dartmouth.  I sewed at my dress.

October 5, 1961 – Thursday.  Fine.  I was down to the store.  Murray and Lelia Dickie visited us in the evening.

October 6, 1961 – Friday.  A beautiful fine day.  Had company.  Lena and Gwen MacKay and Helen Graham was here to supper.

October 7, 1961 – Saturday.  Fine.  Very warm for the time of year.  Ester and I went to a Turkey Supper in the South Branch hall.  Called on Mrs W. Nelson.

October 8, 1961 – Sunday.  Fine.  Still warm.  We went to church in the morning.  Ester and I walked across the field in the afternoon.  Company here from P.E.I.

October 9, 1961 – Monday.  Not so fine as yesterday.  Some cooler.  The folks from P.E.I. went home after dinner. Mr and Mrs Robert Boyles and Annie.

October 10, 1961 – Tuesday. Fine, mild.  Some wind and cooler in the evening.  Washed and ironed.  Jim came home in the morning.  He mowed the lawn.  The boys went to the Blood Donor Clinic.

October 11, 1961 – Wednesday.  Fine.  A nice day.  I picked some beans for shell beans.  Ester threshed the winter beans.

October 12, 1961 – Thursday.  Fine and warm.  Jim and Leon cleaned the stove pipes.  I was to WMS in the afternoon, and to Mrs F. Fulton’s to supper.

October 13, 1961 – Friday.  Fine.  Washed windows and cleaned up some extra corners.  Jim and I paid our Hospital Insurance.  Two school children lost for a while.

October 14, 1961 – Saturday.  Rain in the morning.  Nancy washed my floor this morning.  A.Y. Project.  I was at Homer’s to supper.  Sandy’s birthday.

October 15, 1961 – Sunday.  Mild.  Some rain and high wind in the evening.  We were to Berry Hill in the morning.   Mr MacIntosh preached – from the Bible Society.

October 16, 1961 – Monday.  Cold wind.  The clothes dried well.  We got them ironed.  I finished up the dress I was making.  Seward Caddell here with a bulldozer.

October 17, 1961 – Tuesday.  Cold and some squalls.  I went to Truro with Ethel Deyarmond to the WMS Rally at First United Church hall.  A good meeting.

October 18, 1961 – Wednesday.  Milder than yesterday.  Was to Ladies Aid at Mrs Morris Blaikie’s.  Called on Mrs Roy Blaikie.  This is her birthday.  She gave us cake.

October 19, 1961 – Thursday.  Fine.  Nice and warm in the afternoon.  I was out around.  Baked cookies in the morning.

October 20, 1961 – Friday.  A wet day.  Ester washed but had to bring the clothes in.  Packed the Mission Box.  Mrs Roy Blaikie helped.

October 21, 1961 – Saturday.  Rain.  Baked brown bread.  Lynn came home in the afternoon.  We went to Springside to the Rummage sale.  I bought a hat and coat.

October 22, 1961 – Sunday.  Cooler and fine.  We were to church to a Rally Dau Service.  Nancy and Sylvia called in the afternoon.  Joan is visiting in Dartmouth.

October 23, 1961 – Monday.  A lovely wash day.  Breezy and cool.  The boys got the cow and calf home.

October 24, 1961 – Tuesday.  Rain in the afternoon.  I was up early and got the Mission Boxes sent on the Milk Truck, to Brunswick Street Mission in Halifax.  Have a quilt in.

October 25, 1961 – Wednesday.  A wet day.  Some heavy rain.  The turkey supper in the hall today.  Quite a good turn-out and the supper was good.

October 26, 1961 – Thursday.  Finer, but cloudy.  Quilting today.  Finished the quilt and took it out.  Ester and I were up the road to do some errands.

October 27, 1961 – Friday.  Some rain.  Ester went to Wolfville to work in a nursing home.  Leon took her down.  I went for the drive.

October 28, 1961 – Saturday.  Clear with sunshine.  Colder.  Got the work done and sewed the binding on the quilt.

October 29, 1961 – Sunday.  Cloudy and cold.  Leon and I went to church in the evening.  I wrote to Byron and Ina, and to Ester in Wolfville.

October 30, 1961 – Monday.  Not very fine.  The clothes were only damp-dry.  I washed up the floor and defrosted the fridge.

October 31, 1961 – Tuesday.  Showers in the night.  I got the ironing done.  Mrs Ester  Hamilton  visited me and we talked. Was over to Homer’s.  Met some Halloweener’s.

November 1, 1961 – Wednesday.  Rain in the morning.  Sunny later. Baked bread.  Richie barrett called this morning.  Homer and I went to a meeting at the church.

November 2, 1961 – Thursday.  Fine and cool.

November 3, 1961 – Friday.  A beautiful morning, but clouded over.  I washed the material for a rug.  Did not dry.  Baked squares and an apple pudding.

November 4, 1961 – Saturday.  A grand day.  My wash blew out and dried fine.  I went over the floors.  Baked blueberry muffins and a pie.  Went to the store in the morning.

November 5, 1961 – Sunday.  A beautiful fine and warm day.  I was alne most of the day.  Leon and I went to church at Springside in the evening.

November 6, 1961 – Monday.  Wet day.  Did the housework and ripped up my green skirt.  Leon went to Farm Forum.

November 7, 1961 – Tuesday.  I washed but it rained about noon, so the clothes stayed out.

November 8, 1961 – Wednesday.  Squally.  Nina and Mary came and sewed in a quilt.  Finished it about 11 p.m. The ladies brought supper and worked.

November 9, 1961 – Thursday.  Rain.  I went to the WMS meeting at Mrs M. Blaikie’s, and to the hall.  Worked on Red Cross Quilts.  Got 2 done.

November 10, 1961 – Friday.  Fine.  A nice day.  Baked bread and rolls.  The Water-Front began leaking this morning.

November 11, 1961 – Saturday.  Fine.  The ground white this morning.  Quite cold.  Was in my own room today.  Got along allright.

November 12, 1961 – Sunday.  Fine and colder.  Leon and I went to church.  The service was in charge of the Young  People’s Group.  They did well.

November 13, 1961 – Monday.  Fine.  A cold night.  Leon went to Truro this morning.  Got the pieces for the stove.  $10.00.  Elsie called after supper.

November 14, 1961 – Tuesday.  Cloudy.  Milder, rain by dark.  Leon was working at the stove.  Munroe came and soldered it and we got a fire on.

November 15, 1961 – Wednesday. Fine and sunny.  Washed,  and washed up the floor.  Leon was plowing.  Plowed the lane.

November 16, 1961 – Thursday.  Foggy all day.  Baked bread and done some sweeping and dusting.  Homer, Joan, Kevin, Mable, and Heather here in the evening.  Kevin in to the clinic today.

November 17, 1961 – Friday.  Wet day. Leon and I in to Truro in the afternoon.  Did a few errands.

November 18, 1961 – Saturday.  Cloudy.  Cooler by night.  Leon and Floyde got the cattle into the barn by noon. Pearl went up with the car.

November 19, 1961 – Sunday.  Dull day.  Chilly.  Ella was here a while in the afternoon.  Leon and I went to church.  A stranger preached.  A young fellow assisted.

November 20, 1961 – Monday.  A fine wash day.  Got the clothes ironed.

November 21, 1961 – Tuesday.  Clouded up after sunrise, with wind and rain in the evening.  I cooked 2 pumpkins.

November 22, 1961 – Wednesday.  Some rain.  Had rain and wind last night.  Baked 3 pies.  Bill Miller called.  Mildred Gardner passed away yesterday.

November 23, 1961 – Thursday.  Wet and mild.  Baked bread.  Was hooking a while.  Homer, Joan, Heather, Mable and Kevin here a while in the evening.

November 24, 1961 – Friday.  Drizzly and dark. I baked rolls and fixed up about the house.   Ester, Jim and Lynn got home for the week-end.

November 25, 1961 – Saturday. A wet day.  Heavy rain by times.  We were busy with some remodelling of clothes.  Ethel Deyarmond and Janie MacKay  here to supper.

November 26, 1961 – Sunday.  Colder and clearing.  We all went to church in the morning.  Mr Custance preached. Ester and the boys went back in the afternoon.

November 27, 1961 – Monday.  Another wet day.  Raining hard to-night.  Washed the floor and baked a cake.  Richie Barrett called.  Homer and Joan here in the evening.

November 28, 1961 – Tuesday.  Not so wet.  Did not do much but the work.  Had a letter from Ina.  Roy and Arlene have another boy, born November 22.

November 29, 1961 – Wednesday.  The ground white in the morning.  I washed, but had some soft snow, so did not dry well.  Leon went hunting a while.

November 30, 1961 – Thursday.  A few spells of sunshine and squalls of rain.  Homer, Joan and 3 children here in the evening.

December 1, 1961 – Friday.  Snow melted here, but about 2 inches in Burnside.  Done our shopping this morning.  Done a little hooking.  Baked cookies.

December 2, 1961 – Saturday.  Finer.  Baked bread and done some sweeping.  Also worked at the mat.

December 3, 1961 – Sunday.  Quite a lot of sunshine.  Went to church at 1:45 p.m.  Mr Custance preached.  Mr Burrill is away.

December 4, 1961 – Monday.  Pretty good wash day.  I was over to Herman’s for a few minutes.  Homer and Joan here in the evening.

December 5, 1961 – Tuesday.  A stormy day.  Wind high in the evening.  Baked biscuit and a cake.  Nancy over with Homer this evening.

December 6, 1961 – Wednesday.  Cleared off quite sunny.  Done the housework and made an apron.  Was to Aid at Mrs Raymond Deyarmond’s.

December 7, 1961 – Thursday.  Fine.  The sun shone allday.  First time for quite a while.  Washed the floor.  Leon was up to Berry Hill for fence rails.

December 8, 1961 – Friday.  Fine.  Was down to the store in the morning.  Baked a cake and rolls.

December 9, 1961 – Saturday.  Snow squalls.  Not cold.  I was over to Homer’s for supper and spent the evening.  This is Homer’s 46th birthday.

December 10, 1961 – Sunday.  A bit colder.  Went to church in the morning. Mr Burrill is home and preached.  Has been sick.  Was out of his pulpit 4 weeks.

December 11, 1961 – Monday.  Snow turned to rain in the morning.  Cleared.  The clothes dried well.  I did not wash.  I baked fruit cakes.

December 12, 1961 – Tuesday. A good day.  I did the washing.  Leon was to Berry Hill in the afternoon.  Brought a Christmas Tree home.

December 13, 1961 – Wednesday.  Rain in the morning.  High wind sometimes.  I wrote a letter to Ester and baked 2 cakes in the afternoon. Got the ironing and mending done.

December 14, 1961 – Thursday.  Cold wind, but finer.  I went to WMS meeting at Alice Blaikie’s. Final meeting of the WMS Auxillary. We will be the United Church Women’s Society.

December 15, 1961 – Friday.  Snow.  Some heavy squalls.  I baked bread and mailed a parcel to Brunswick Street Mission for their Christmas party.  Christmas party at BRHS.

December 16, 1961 – Saturday.  Cold.  Fine and cold all day.  Leon was skating.  I washed the kitchen floor and baked 1 squash and 1 apple pie.

December 17, 1961 – Sunday.  Fine and cold.  Jim was home for the day.  Leon and I went to the Candle-Lighting service in the evening.

December 18, 1961 – Monday.  Fine.  Not so cold.  I washed and we went to Truro after dinner.  Called at Mary  Carter’s and Nessie Hill’s.  Was home about 5 p.m.

December 19, 1961 – Tuesday.  Fine. Not so bright as yesterday.  Ironed and did the mending.  Also sewed at some slippers.

December 20, 1961 – Wednesday. Snow in the afternoon.  Swept upstairs and made doughnuts.

December 21, 1961 – Thursday.  Not very fine.  Just a small fall of snow.  Baked brown bread.  Was down to the store in the afternoon

December 22, 1961 – Friday.  Finer.  Baked bread and rolls. Elsie and Vada in for supper.

December 23, 1961 – Saturday.  Some snow, but not a snow storm.  Jim, Lynn Gordon and Ester got home by 5:30 p.m.  Jim went back to Dartmouth tonight..

December 24, 1961 – Sunday.  Fine.  We went to church at Springside at 11 a.m.  Church was filled pretty full.  Royce MacKay’s baby’s funeral in the afternoon.

December 25, 1961 – Monday.  Christmas day.  Wet and sloppy.  Some rain.  We had a turkey dinner.  I was over to Homer’s to supper.  We all had nice gifts.

December 26, 1961 – Tuesday.  Colder and dull.  Did the washing and ironing.  Ester went back to Wolfville.  Leon drove her to Brookfield to take the bus.

December 27, 1961 – Wednesday.  Fine.  Lynn Gordon went back to Dartmouth this afternoon.  Alone tonight.  A lonesome day.  56 years since I was married.

December 28, 1961 – Thursday.  A storm.  Wind and rain tonight.  Jim came home about 7 p.m. for his holiday leave.  Ella was over for a call.

December 29, 1961 – Friday.  The river very high, but fell by afternoon.  I cleaned up the house.

December 30, 1961 – Saturday.  Fine.  Washed the floor and made a cake and pie.  Jim and Leon are away this evening.  Had a not from Ester.  She got back safe.

December 31, 1961 – Sunday.  Colder.  Snow squalls in the afternoon. I did not go out to church.  Jim and Leon went.  My cold is much better.

I am keeping house for Ester.  She is assistant nurse in a Nursing Home in Wolfville.  My health is good.  Arnold and June Johnson have a daughter born August 15.  Roy and Arlene have another boy born November 22.  Have 11 great-grandchildren.

1934 1935 1936 1937 1938 1939 1940 1941 1942 1943
1944 1945 1946 1947 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953
1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963