The Journals of Annabelle Johnson 1952

The Journals of
Annabelle Johnson

January 1, 1952 – Tuesday.  A mild day and dull sky.  Gordon, Ester, Priscilla, jim, Leon and Lynn up for a while in the afternoon.  Priscilla is going back to Halifax tomorrow.  Homer brought in some wood that Alfred had cut up in the fall.January 2, 1952 – Wednesday.  A nice day.  Wet underfoot.  Alfred, Nancy, Sandy and I walked up to the woods where Homer was cutting logs and wood.   Went to WMS at the church in the evening.  A nice meeting.

January 3, 1952 – Thursday.  Began snowing about 10 a.m.  Not very much yet.  Baked brown bread.  Went down to see Christy.  She is pretty well.  Art Lockhart got into the ditch on the Junction Hill on his way up.  Homer went down.  They were all the afternoon getting out.  Homer, Joan and Nancy down to the village this evening.  I called at George MacKay’s a few minutes.

January 4, 1952 – Friday.  Colder tonight.  I was sewing.  Made 2 baby shirts for our WMS parcel for Korea.

January 5, 1952 – Saturday.  A cold fine morning.  We washed and did some cooking.  Had a busy day.  Snowing in evening.

January 6, 1952 – Sunday.  A snow storm through the night.  Drifted quite bad.  Spent a quiet day at home.

January 7, 1952 – Monday.  Fine.  I got my ironing done.   Joan washed and the clothes dried some.   The wind is high and sounds like a storm tonight.

January 8, 1952 – Tuesday.  Several more inches of snow fell in the night.  Rain in the forenoon, and wind and hail in the evening.  No mail today.  Homer, Nancy and Sandy went down to Bert Hamilton’s cream stand for the cream cans.  Road bad.   I was sewing on a dress for myself.

January 9, 1952 – Wednesday.   Did not storm much today.  The children was coasting.  Fairly good crust on the snow.    The snow plow was up as far as Elmer’s tonight.  He just came up the main roads.  Did not do the by-roads.

January 10, 1952 – Thursday.  A dull day.  Did not storm till evening.  The mail and cream truck were both up to Elmer’s today.  Allen Redden hauled 3 load of logs from Percy’s today.  I was sewing and knitting.  Baked bread.

January 11, 1952 – Friday.  Stormy day.  Snowed and thewind blew allday.  Everyone stayed indoors today.

January 12, 1952 – Saturday.  A fine day after the storm.  The roads are all blocked.  I cleaned up my rooms and done a little cooking.  Alfred sawed up a stick of wood.  The first he has done this winter.

January 13, 1952 – Sunday.  Quite fine.  The snow plow got here about 9 p.m.  No church service today.

January 14, 1952 – Monday.  Fine day.  Homer and Joan went to the village.  The electric power off.  Had to eat supper with the lamp.

January 15, 1952 – Tuesday.  Pretty fine.  Joan done a washing.   Homer went to Bass River for the separator that Bydie sent him.  The roads were fair.  Irene walked up this morning.  She was telling us they were goingaway this afternoon.

January 16, 1952 – Wednesday.  A mild day.  Rain in the night.  I scrubbed the discs of the separator this afternoon.

January 17, 1952 – Thursday.  A fine day.  I finished Sandy’s mittens.  Was reading a book.

January 18, 1952 – Friday.  Some snow in the morning, then rain.  A stormy day.  Joan and Homer went to Truro.  Joan got her eyes fitted to new glassses.   The roads very icy from Cross Roads home.  The children were home with us.

January 19, 1952 – Saturday.  A nice day.  Some water across theroad.  Homer openedit up and helped it.   I baked a birthday cake and went down and had supper with Christy.   It was her 82nd birthday.

January 20, 1952 – Sunday.  A dark cloudy day.  No church in Burnside today.

January 21, 1952 – Monday.  Rain last night.  Water over the road at the oak stump.  The cream truck did not come through.   Homer was putting up the pipes for the hot water boiler.

January 22, 1952 – Tuesday.  A cold windy day.  Milder by evening.  Homer was up early and connected up the watr front.  Everything is OK.  Lots of hot water.  I am making aprons.

January 23, 1952 – Wednesday.  A stormy day.  Rain and wind.  I was working on the church books.   Joan washed but did not put the clothes out.   Nancy was to school.

January 24, 1952 – Thursday.  A mild warm day.  Cloudy.  Not much sun.   The water is out bad on the intervals everywhere.   Ruthie, Mrs Walter Graham, died this morning.  A lovely young woman.  She has been sick with a blood disease 2 months.

January 25, 1952 – Friday.  Colder today.  I did the ironing and baked bread, cookies and pies.   Homer, Joan and Heather went to the village this afternoon.

January 26, 1952 – Saturday.  A chilly day.  Not storming.  I washed the floorthis morning.  Homer, Alfred and I went to Ruthie’s funeral this afternoon. A large funeral and about 45 flower pieces.  Beautiful.

January 27, 1952 – Sunday.  A mild day.  The ground thawed.  Heavy rain in the night.   Had our annual church meeting this afternoon following the service.   A good meeting.

January 28, 1952 – Monday.  A dark foggy day.  Soft snow before night.   Homer, Joan and Sandy went to Truro.  Sandy got 2 teeth filled.   Joan had her glasses fixed.   Heather visited us.   I wrote minutes and fixed up reports.

January 29- Tuesday.  Snow and blowing.  Did not do much.  Had a sore shoulder.   Baked brown bread.  Nancy did not get to school.   The mail had  hard  going.

January  30, 1952 – Wednesday.  A fine day.  Colder.  I baked a jelly-roll and a cake.  Read quite a lot.   My shoulder stillsore.   Bev and Grant in a few minutes.  They were plowing snow.

January 31, 1952 – Thursday.  A cold morning,  25 below zero here.  Got 10 birthday cards, 2 pairs of stockings, a box of candy and $1.00 worth of stamps.  Homer, Joan and children had supper with us.

February 1, 1952 – Milder.  Cloudy.  Done a little patching.  Writing letters this evening.  Butchered the pig this afternoon.  Roy over helping.

February 2, 1952 – Saturday.  A warm foggy day.  Cleaned up around the rooms  and fried out the lard.  Had a  letter from David, a card from Arthur Graham.  They had a dedication on CKCL for my birthday.  Ina sent me a scrap book.

February 3, 1952 – Sunday.  A nice winter day.  Colder.  Homer, Joan and the children went to Newton Mills to visit Irene and Willie.

February 4, 1952 – Monday.  Not very fine.  Clothes dried some.  I got the pig’s head cleaned and cooked.  Homer and Joan went down to Bev’s to Farm Forum.  A heavy wind and rain storm the first part of the night.

February 5, 1952 – Tuesday.  A dark day.  A thunder and lightning shower in the forenoon.  Made the pot head, canned part of it.

February 6, 1952 – Wednesday.  Still mild and foggy.  Freezing in the evening.  Went to WMS in the church in the evening.   We are making a box up to send to Korea – a baby’s layette.

February 7, 1952 – Thursday.  A nice fine day.  Alfred and I went down with the mail to Grant’s.  I called on Elsie and family.   Grant brought us home in the evening.    Had begun to snow.  The Fuller Brush Man on the rounds here today.

February 8, 1952 – Friday.  A blustery day.  A small snow storm last night.  Homer went to the village in the forenoon.   I made 2 pot-holders and did some other chores.

February 9, 1952 – Saturday.  Snowed by noon.  Bev was here with the snow plow.   I did some baking and cleaned up the house.

February 10, 1952 – Sunday.  A nice day.   Homer, Alfred and I went to church.   I stopped and called on Christy.  Found her pretty well.

February 11, 1952 – Monday.  Snow squalls and fair wind this evening.  I knit,  done some work on a scrap book, and done up a parcel to send to Korea.   Joan washed but did not put the clothes out.

February 12, 1952 – Tuesday.  A stormy morning.  High wind early then rain till afternoon.   I went to Truro with Rika, Neil and Bert Hamilton to the Blood Clinic. Got along good.   I was at Arthur’s to supper.  Homer came down for me.   Was not very tired.

February 13, 1952 – Wednesday.  Snow squalls.  Not cold.  Alfred and I washed a big washing, but it did not dry very well.  Brought most of them in.  Homer and Joan went to Institute this evening.

February 14, 1952 – Thursday.  Fairly good day.  Did my ironing and some mending.  Baked white cookies.   Homer and Joan went over to Roy’s in the evening.

February 15, 1952 – Friday.  Snow squalls all day.  The funeral of George V, King of Great Britain.  We listened to most of the ceremonies.  Heather got a bad fall, and a big bump on her head.

February 16, 1952 – Saturday.   Some finer.  Joan washed some.  I baked bread and done some cleaning.   Homer went to Truro and he bought a power saw.

February 17, 1952 – Sunday.  A nice fine day.   Homer, Alfred and I went down to call on Henry Graham.  He is 90 years old tomorrow.Had a lot of callers.  We were at Den’s, Dickie’s and Archibald’s.  The roads are good.

February 18, 1952 – Monday.  A stormy day.   Snowed all day and drifted.    The smoke blew down in Homer’s kitchen, so we had them here most of the day.

February 19, 1952 – Tuesday.  Cloudy.  The storm has died down.  Bev was here plowing this evening.  Quite a big fall of snow.   Geraldine sick today.  The Doctor came up.

February 20, 1952 – Wednesday.  More snow and wind.  The track filled up.  I made cookies and doughnuts.   Geraldine is better this morning.

February 21, 1952 – Thursday.  Still snowy.  Baked bread.  Was reading,  and finished the squares of the crazy patchwork quilt I have had on the go for years.  The mail only got up as far as Roy MacKay’s.

February 22, 1952 – Friday.  Snow flurries.   I made two holders and finished reading my book.   Helen planned to have Aid, but the lights went out on the snow plow, and it did not get the roads plowed.

February 23, 1952 – Saturday.  The sun shone some today.   I cleaned up the house and baked some gingerbread.   Had letters from Ina and Julia.   Aid at Mrs Bill Graham’s.  I did not get there.  Finished up 2 holders.

February 24, 1952 – Sunday.  Dull day.  Was down to church in the afternoon.  Our road was plowed out this forenoon.

February 25, 1952 – Monday.  A nice day but light snow by evening.  I walked down to call on Christy.  Also in to Geordie’s and to Roy’s to supper.  Nancy went to school.

February 26, 1952 – Tuesday.  Snowed most of the forenoon.  So have quite a lot of new snow.   Nancy had a hard walk across the field from school.  I started an umbrella quilt today.

February 27, 1952 – Wednesday.  A nice sunny day.  Clouds in afternoon.  Done some reading and sewing.

February 28, 1952 – Thursday.  A big storm.  Snow, wind, some rain about noon, and then more snow and rain from the north west.

February 29, 1952 – Friday.  A fine day.  The sun is shining.   Bev was here with the snow plow this afternoon.  We had our World Day of Prayer Service in the church this evening.  Seven present.

March 1, 1952 – Saturday.  Fine.   Homer, Joan , Nancy and Sandy went to the village in the afternoon.  The roads good.   I did some cleaning and made cupcakes and apple sauce.

March 2, 1952 – Sunday.  Snow and high wind.  Roads all filled in again.   Read and had a nap.  Called Priscilla.  This is her birthday.  20th.  She came home on Friday night.  Will not get to Halifax tonight.

March 3, 1952 – Monday.  The sun shining, the wind still high.  Snow drifted all day.  A big storm on land and sea.  Traffic all blocked through the Maritimes.

March 4, 1952 – Tuesday.  Not so fine but the wind has fell.  We did a big washing and they dried pretty well.   Martin was here for some eggs today.  Homer was out to the woods.  Snow is deep.

March 5, 1952 – Wednesday.  A mild day.  The snow softened.  Cloudy all day.   I got the clothes ironed and all put away.  Working some at my quilt blocks.   The roads are still not opened up.

March 6, 1952 – Thursday.   Cloudy and mild.  The snow plow was here in the night.  The roads are narrow but fairly good going.    The mail and cream truck got up.   No mail since last Saturday, and  no cream truck for a week and a half.

March 7, 1952 – Friday.  Another cloudy day.  The sun came out a few times.  Worked at my scrap book some.

March 8, 1952 – Saturday.  Dull day.  Alfred went down with the mail to see Min. Baked rolls and a stirred loaf,  and washed the floor.

March 9, 1952 – Sunday.  Cloudy.  A little snow.  Homer, Alfred and I went to church.  A lot of snow along the roads.

March 10, 1952 – Monday.  A fine day.  Joan got her washing dried.   Homer, Joan and Sandy went to the village in the afternoon.

March 11, 1952 – Tuesday.  Another cloudy day.  But did not storm.  Allen Deyarmond walked up and visited today.   Homer drove him down as far as the long road.

March 12, 1952 – Wednesday.  A rain inthe night.  Fog and wind in the west, and colder.  I walked down to call on Christie.  Found her pretty good.   Joan went to Institute at Mrs Wood’s.

March 13, 1952 – Thursday.  A cold wind and blowing snow.  Road filled in some.  Did not get much done today.  Homer, Joan, Nancy and Sandy went to a Basket Social at Springside.  The Jeep was not going good, so Homer came back.  Joan, Nancy and Sandy went with Martin.  Homer got the Jeep fixed and went later.  Bev was here with the snow plow.

March 14, 1952 – Friday.  A cold raw day.  Alfred and I washed and they dried pretty well.  Homer, Joan, Nancy and Sandy went to Truro.  Sandy got a tooth pulled.  Heather got along good with us.  Snowing agsain this evening.

March 15, 1952 – Saturday.  A stormy day.  Snow and wind.  I did my ironing and mending.  Cleaned up the house some.   Baked biscuits and custards.  The mail did not get around today.

March 16, 1952 – Sunday.  Still dull and cloudy.  Wind has fell.  Bev here again with the snow plow.  This is the 9th time we have been plowed out since January 13th.

March 17, 1952 – Monday.  A beautiful day.  The sun shone brightly.  Joan’s washing dried good.  Nancy went to school.  Homer was laying the floor in the pantry.

March 18, 1952 – Tuesday.  A few snow flurries.  Soft.  Homer finished the pantry floor.  I did some sewing and knitting.

March 19, 1952 – Wednesday.  Some sunshine.  Baked bread, bran muffins and a cake.

March 20, 1952 – Thursday.  Cloudy and dull.  Homer, Joan, Nancy and Sandy went to the village.  I finished the blocks of the quilt I have been making (umbrella).

March 21, 1952 – Friday.  Soft snow in the morning.  All gone by afternoon.  I was making some patchwork squares.

March 22, 1952 – Saturday.  Cloudy.  Cleared just before sunset.  Baked 2 pies and date cookies and dusted and cleaned up our rooms.

March 23, 1952 – Sunday.  A bright fine morning.  Homer, Alfred and I went to church.  In the evening, Homer drove us down to Gordon’s.

March 24, 1952 – Monday.  Cloudy.  Cleared nicely in afternoon.  Did not do much.  A card party in the hall in the evening.  Ester and Gordon went.

March 25, 1952 – Tuesday.  A fine day.  Gordon, Ester and I went to New Glasgow.  Alfred visited Charlie Blaikie while we went to New Glasgow.  I bought a wrist watch.

March 26, 1952 – Wednesday.  A fine day.  Ester washed and the clothes dried fine.

March 27, 1952 – Thursday.  A fine day.  We put a quilt in this afternoon.

March 28, 1952 – Friday.  Snow.  Large flakes.  Sort of dirty day.  Was working at the quilt.  Lelia called in the evening

March 29, 1952 – Saturday.  Another nice sunny day.  The sap run good.  Took the quilt out this evening.   Gordon and Ester down to the store.  Lewis Johnson brought in a gallon of Maple Syrup.

March 30, 1952 – Sunday.  A fine day.   I was in to see Ella in the afternoon.  She has a very dizzy head.   Went to church in the evening.  Mr Matheson’s subject was on the word “No”.

March 31, 1952 –  Monday.  A fine day.  Wind cold and high.  A goodwash day.  Was binding the quilt.  Called on Mrs David Kennedy after supper.  She is pretty well.

April 1, 1952 – Tuesday.  Fine.  The wind cold.  After dinner I went down to W.D. Kennedy’s and spent the afternoon with them.  Mrs Hamilton was there.

April 2, 1952 – Wednesday.  A nice fine day.  Alfred went over to Blaikie’s this morning.  Called on all the Blaikie ladies.  Ester went to Evening Auxillary.  A cow freshened in the evening.  Arthur Kennedy was down  while.

April 3, 1952 – Thursday.  Fine.  Did not do much.   Alfred and I went down tothe Doctor’s.  He gave Alfred some tablets for his arteries.   He was quite pleased by the appearance of his hip.   Gordon went to a card party at Sid Cox’s.

April 4, 1952 – Friday.  A fine day.  Gordon, Ester, Homer, Mrs Kennedy and I went to Truro.  The roads quite good.   I got my eyes tested and bought new glasses.  Called on Charlie and Bessie Blaikie.  We came home with Homer this evening.

April 5, 1952 – Saturday.  A nice day.  Warm.  The snow went fast.  Baked biscuit and a pie.  Dusted and cleaned up the house.

April 6, 1952 – Sunday.  Rain this morning.  I walked down to Elmer’s in the afternoon.  It was nice out.  Went down to WMS meeting at the church in the evening.  Had our Easter program.  The roads pretty soft.

April 7, 1952 – Monday.  Some sunshine.  Showery in the afternoon.  Joan washed.  I picked over cranberries Helen gave me.

April 8, 1952 – Tuesday.  Cloudy and foggy.   Washed clothes.  Did not dry much – left them out.   Baked 2 pies, cranberry.

April 9, 1952 – Wednesday.  Sun shone  little in afternoon.   Did the ironing and a little mending.

April 10, 1952 – Thursday.  A lovely day.   Alfred and I took the horse and buggy and drove down and spent the day with Min.   I called on Elsie in the afternoon.  The roads are fairly good.

April 11, 1952 – Friday.  Not very fine.  I went down and made some bread for Martin, and ironed the curtains for the dining room.  Homer, Joan and Sandy went to church in Springside in the evening.  Good Friday.

April 12, 1952 – Saturday.   Not vcery fine but did not rain much.  Baked rolls and cup cakes.  Cleaned up the house.

April 13, 1952 – Sunday.  Easter.  A fine day.  Homer, Alfred and I went to church.   Homer and Joan went to visit Willie and Irene Krause.

April 14, 1952 – Monday.  Fine and breezy but rained some in the early afternoon.   Joan did her washing and they dried pretty well.  Priscilla called.  She is home for the holidays.

April 15, 1952 – Tuesday.   Dull and foggy.  Cleared.  Made a couple of saquares of patchwork.

April 16, 1952 –  Wednesday.  A very fine day.   Washed the bedroom curtains and cleaned the bedroom.

April 17, 1952 – Thursday.  A nice morning.   Alfred and I went out to the woods where Homer was cutting trees.   The High School boys had Moving Pictures at the church in the evening.

April 18, 1952 – Friday.  A fine day.  We cleaned the stove pipes and after dinner I went down to see Christy.  Done a few things for Martin.  I did not find Christy very good.  Her mind is mixed up.  The Doctor was up.

April 19, 1952 – Saturday.  A very nice day.  I washed a line full of clothes and they dried grand.  A good wind.   Baked 2 custard pies and ironed.

April 20, 1952 – Sunday.  Some showers.  Homer, Joan and Alfred went to Springside to church.  I kept house.   Homer , Joan and children went for mayflowers.  Got some.  Not very well opened.

April 21, 1952 – Monday.  Fine in the morning.  Rain squalls before supper.   Homer over helping Roy butcher a beef.   Joan did not wash till afternoon.    The power was off in the morning.  Alfred was burning brush.

April 22, 1952 – Tuesday.  A nice fine day.  We cleaned the spare bedroom today.  A good day to get things outdoors.

April 23, 1952 – Wednesday.  A fine day.  I went to the village with Homer this morning.  Called at Ester’s and Mr and Mrs Henry Peterson’s.   Cleaned the cupboard in the afternoon.

April 24, 1952 –  Thursday.  A fine day.  Cold wind.  I did some snugging up today.  Alfred was burning some brush.

April 25, 1952 – Friday.  A nice day.  I heard the frogs singing for the first time tonight.   Cut up and fried out the lard.  Baked bread and cooked the pork head.   Canned 3 cans of pork.  Down to see Christy.

April 26, 1952 – Saturday.  Rain in the morning.  Made potted head.   Baked molasses cakes and cleaned up the rooms.

April 27, 1952 – Sunday.  Cloudy.  Daylight Saving Time.   Homer, Joan and children went to Middle Stewiacke this morning.   Alfred and I went to church with Martin.  Sunday School opened today.

April 28, 1952 – Monday.  A wet day.  I washed but did not hang the clothes out.   Washed part of the ceiling and wood-work of our room.   Homer, Joan and children went to Springside to a concert.   A choral group from Kings County.  Young folk.

April 29, 1952 – Tuesday.  Cloudy with rain in the morning.  Cleared some in afternoon.   Got my washing dried and ironed.   Was cleaning some more at our room.

April 30, 1952 – Wednesday.   Cloudy with rain by evening.  Cleaned.  Finished the room.  Baked bread and bran muffins.

May 1, 1952 – Thursday.  A cold day.  Snow in the morning.  Squalls of rain and hail through the day.  I went down and spent the day with Elsie Tree, and went up to Grant’s after supper.   Grant and Min brought me home.

May 2, 1952 – Friday.  Hard frost this morning.  Finer than yesterday.  Baked cookies and chews.  Done some sewing.

May 3, 1952 – Saturday.  Cool and not very bright.  Baked 2 blueberry pies.  Was down to Elmer’s in the afternoon.   Martin came up for me.   Not much change in Christie.   Nancy and Sandy were fishing in the brook all day.

May 4, 1952 – Sunday.  A cool day with a shower or two.   Nancy, Sandy and I were to Sunday School.

May 5, 1952 – Monday.  Rain in the morning.  Fine in the afternoon.   Joan got her clothes dried good.   I made a lemon pie, biscuits and a birthday cake.  Alfred’s birthday.  79 years old.   Min came up in the cream truck and spent the afternoon here.   Grant came for her in the evening.   Sandy and Nancy had supper with us.

May 6, 1952 – Tuesday.  Fine.  The wind high and cold.   I went down with the mail and called at Christie’s.  She seemed pretty good.  Washed and got the clothes dried.   They had a housekeeper come to Elmer’s today.

May 7, 1952 – Wednesday.  Rain this morning.   Homer, Joan, Sandy and Heather went to the village.  WMS meeting in the church in the evening.  Baked  brown bread.

May 8, 1952 – Thursday.  Cool and cloudy.   Homer is spreading manure these days.  Mr Matheson called and stayed to supper.

May 9, 1952 – Friday.  Cloudy and cool.   Was sewing at a dress for myself.   Ester, Gordon and the boys here for a while in the evening.

May 10, 1952 – Saturday.  Still cloudy and cool.  Baked a washington pie, rolls and doughnuts.  Cleaned up the house and finished my dress.

May 11, 1952 – Sunday.  Sun shining this morning.   Homer, Alfred, Nancy , Sandy and I went to church and Sunday School.  A nice congregation out today.  Two baptisms and a  Program Family Group.

May 12, 1952 – Monday.  Cool and very windy.   The washing blew out good today.   I mended a pair of pants and sewed a quilt top up.

May 13, 1952 – Tuesday.  Cleared about noon and a nice afternoon.    Homer, Joan, Nancy and Sandy went to the lake after supper.  They got 1 trout.  Had a nice hour or so on the lake.

May 14, 1952 – Wednesday.  A little sunshine through the day and a thunder shower just at dark.   Canned 8 cans of baked beans.   Went down to see Christie after supper.   Found her better than when I saw her last.   Homer planted some peas in the afternoon.

May 15, 1952 – Thursday.  Dark and wet.

May 16, 1952 – Cool.  Cloudy and not any fine weather.   Homer and I down to the village in the afternoon.  Called at Ester’s a while.

May 17, 1952 – Saturday.  Wet in the morning.  Finer in the afternoon.   Made some doughnuts and cleaned the house up.   Baked a rhubarb pie.

May 18, 1952 – Sunday.   Nice and fine but cool.   Homer, Joan and the children were away in the afternoon.  Alfred and I went for a walk.  Were to Sunday School in the morning.

May 19, 1952 – Monday.  A fine sunny day.  We planted some more garden.  Joan did a big washing.

May 20, 1952 – Tuesday.  A nice fine day.   I did a big washing and ironed part of them.   Homer and Alfred were planting potatoes.  Homer and Joan went to Middle Stewiacke after supper.

May 21, 1952 – Wednesday.  Not so fine.  Rain in the afternoon.   The men finished planting the potatoes in the morning.   I finished my ironing and baked biscuits and a custard.   In the afternon I went down to the cemetery at Proven’s.  A woman came up and gave some advice about the landscape.

May 22, 1952 –  Thursday.  A dark wet day.  Cold.  Homer and Joan and children went to Truro.  The children all got new shoes.  Alfred and I cleaned up the old house.  I baked scotch cakes.

May 23, 1952 – Friday.  A fine day.  The wind high.   Homer worked at the pasture fence and let the cows out.   Baked bread and a cake.  Homer went to the village.  They are having a shower for Priscilla this evening.   She is coming from Halifax this afternoon.

May 24, 1952 – Saturday.  A nice day.   Alfred and I went down to Gordon’s with the mail.   We got ready for Priscilla’s wedding at 8 p.m. to Donald Leonard Breadman.  She was attended by Freda Blaikie, and the best man was a shipmate of H.M.S. Quebec.  They went away after the ceremony for a few days.

May 25, 1952 – Sunday.  Fine and warm.  We came up to the church with Mr Matheson.  Got home after church and Sunday School.

May 26, 1952 – Monday.  Cloudy.  Windy and cool.   Got the screen doors and windows on this afternoon.  Homer was harrowing all day.   Alfred got 250 strawberry plants set out.

May 27, 1952 – no entry

May 28, 1952 – Wednesday.  A fine day.  I finished the crib quilt I was quilting.   Homer and I went to a show at Springside hall in the evening.

May 29, 1952 – Thursday.  A fine day.   Homer drove the mail for Roy.   Joan and Sandy went on the cream truck and on to Halifax.

May 30, 1952 – Friday.  A fine day.  Homer was cutting some pulp wood.  We went to Aid at Min’s in the afternoon.  Heather not very well.  Vomitted today.

May 31, 1952 – Saturday.  A very warm day.  Heather was sick all day.

June 1, 1952 – Friday.  Not so warm as yeaterday.   We had Doctor Earle up to see Heather.  She was still vomitting this morning.   He gave her a shot of penicillum.  I was tending her all day.   Joan and Sandy got home.  Homer went to Brookfield to meet them.

June 2, 1952 – Monday.  Not fine.  Cloudy and windy.   Heather is some better this morning.   I went to Truro with Ivan, Bradford, and Luther Fulton.  Had a good trip.  Was at Bev’s to supper.  Rain again tonight.

June 3, 1952 – Tuesday.  A dark day.   I washed and the clothes got damp dry.  Heather is still fussy.

June 4, 1952 – Wednesday.  Dark and wet.   Did the ironing and some mending.  Was at a WMS meeting in the evening.

June 5, 1952 – Thursday.  A dark day.  Sun came out a few times.  Did not do much.  Have a cold and cough.

June 6, 1952 – Friday.  A wet day.  Rained hard after supper.   Baked rolls and made curds.  Repaired my shopping bag.

June 7, 1952 – Saturday.  Another rainy day.  Baked cookies, cupcakes and a date loaf.  Alfred was down to visit Min.

June 8, 1952 – Sunday.  Still wet.  Homer, Nancy and I went to Sunday School and church.

June 9, 1952 –  Monday.  Finer.  The sun shone part of the day.   Joan washed a big washing and got them all ironed before supper.   I made 15 squares of patchwork for a crib quilt.  Alfred had a dizzy head.

June 10, 1952 – Tuesday.   A fine day.  Joan washed blankets and they dried nice.    Homer was to the village in the forenoon.   Homer and Joan went to Truro to a show in the evening.   I put Nancy and Sandy to bed.

June 11, 1952 – Wednesday.  Bright in the morning.  Rain after noon.   I washed and they dried before the rain.    Homer made some rows in the garden and cultivated the potatoes.  There is a lot of spuery (sic).  Homer went to Brookfield to a meeting.

June 12, 1952 – Thursday.  Fine.  Homer and Alfred set out the tomato plants and Alfred and I put in beans, carrots, beets, lettuce and cucumbers.  Gordon came for us and we went down there in the evening.

June 13, 1952 – June 14, 1952 – no entries

June 15, 1952 – Sunday.  Shower with a bad thunder storm in the evening.  Burnt out the transformer at the end of Herman’s lane.   Gordon and family got home about the time it began to rain.  Ten p.m.

June 16, 1952 – Monday.  Fine with showers.  Ester washed and baked bread.

June 17, 1952 –  Tuesday.  Quite a nice day.  Alfred hoed some in the garden.    I went with Gordon to Berry Hill.  The cattle had got out of the pasture.   Talked to Mrs Thomas Fisher and Flora a while.  Showers in the night.

June 18, 1952 – Wednesday.  Another cloudy day.  Did not do much.   Gordon brought us home in the evening.  Jim was not well tonight.   An auction at Phillip Cox’s this afternoon.

June 19, 1952 – June 20, 1952 – no entries

June 21, 1952 – Saturday.  A very nice day.  Washed and ironed.   Baked brown bread, a cake and a jelly-roll.   Burnside Aid had a pantry sale at the Co-op Store in Upper Stewiacke in the evening.  Homer, Joan and the children went down to Upper Stewiacke.

Juna 22, 1952 – Sunday.  A fine day.  Was at sunday School and church.   Not many out to church.   Joan had a lot of company in the afternoon.   About 8 p.m., Bydie, Arnold and Henry King arrived from Saxonville , Mass.  Mr and Mrs Bill Kennedy came up for the drive.   Bydie here.  The boys at Grammie K.’s.

June 23, 1952 – Monday.  A fine day.   Joan washed.  I did not do much but talk.  Bydie, Alfred and I drove to Eastville.   Called on Angus and family, also at Andy Dickie’s.  Was at the store.   Homer, Bydie, Arnold and Henry   went to the lake after supper.  Got 3 trout.

June 24, 1952 – Tuesday.  A fine day.  Not so hot as yesterday.   Homer, Joan , the children and I went to truro.   Homer and I went to the blood clinic.   Got an Express Wagon for Sandy.   Mr Milton MacMillan’s funeral this afternoon in the Upper Stewiacke church.

June 25, 1952 – Wednesday.  Dark in the morning.  Fine.   Made a pie and molasses cakes.  Went down and had supper at Gordon’s.

June 26, 1952 – Thursday.  A fine day.  Not so hot.  Baked brown bread.  Went to Aid at Mrs Murray Graham’s.  Alfred, Bydie, Homer and Sandy went to Eastville to see the new barn being raised at Andy Dickie’s.  The boys and Nancy was fishing.  Caught 22 trout.   Homer and Joan went to see the show “Pa and Ma Kettle”.

June 27, 1952 – Friday.  Cloudy.  Some sun.  Cool.  Bydie left for home this morning at 6:15 a.m.  A little late getting away, as Alfred did not pull the lever on the alarm clock.  Did some chores about the house.

June 28, 1952 – Saturday.  A fine day.  Cool.  The men were hoeing the potatoes.   Nancy, Sandy and I picked about 3 cups of wild strawberries this morning.  Quite small.  Baked a pie and made a jell-o.  Washed and waxed the floor.

June 29, 1952 – Sunday.  A fine clear day.  Dark clouds but no showers.  We were to Sunday School.   Homer and family went to Middle Stewiacke for the afternoon.

June 30, 1952 – Monday.  A fine cool day.  Joan did a big washing.  A grand drying day.   Homer and Alfred put in the bridge at the foot of the hill.   Homer yarded logs in the afternoon and Alfred worked in the garden.  School meeting this evening.

July 1, 1952 – Tuesday.  A fine day.  A cool wind.   Did a big washing, ironed and baked 3 loaves of brown bread.   Perley called this afternoon.   Had an announcement of the birth of a boy born to David and Wilma Crockett.  June 25th.  Name – John David..  Weight 9 pounds, 1 1/2 ounces.

July 2, 1952 – Wednesday.  A fine day.  Pretty hot.   Put in a crib quilt.  Got it rolled once.

July 3, 1952 – Thursday.   Fine.  Pretty hot.   Alfred and I went down with the mail to Graham Hill.  I visited Elsie in the morning.   Helped quilt a while at Emma’s.  After we had supper at Grant’s, we, Perley, Lelia, Min, Alfred, and I went down to Bev’s and had a nice visit there.  Mrs Trueman Fulton, 91 years old of Providence, Rhode Island is visiting at Rika’s.

July 4, 1952 – Friday.  Fine.  More breeze than yesterday.   I made a salmon loaf and salad dressing.  Was quilting at a crib quilt.  Got it out.

July 5, 1952 – Saturday.  A shower this morning.  Did not wet much.  Made rolls, a cake and cookies.  Got a binding on the quilt.   Homer, Joan and the children went to the village.  Heather stayed with us.

July 6, 1952 – Sunday.  A fine day.  Alfred, Homer and I went to Springside to Communion.  Twenty-four united with the church by profession of faith, and one by certificate.  135 took Communion.   Largest number in a long time in that church.  Mary, Eleanor and Min called in the afternoon.  Mr and Mrs Isnor and Marcia visited Joan and family.

July 7, 1952 – no entry

July 8, 1952 – Tuesday.  A very hot day.  Made a salad for the Aid supper at Springside.  Went with Helen and got home with them too.  Had a nice time.

July 9, 1952 – Wednesday.  Fine.  A hot day.  Homer mowed some after supper.  Joan went to Institute.

July 10, 1952 –  no entry

July 11, 1952 – Friday.  A wet day, and the rain was needed.  Baked brown bread.

July 12, 1952 – Saturday.  Cleared in afternoon.  Very warm.   Done some cleaning up and baked biscuits.   Mr Thomas Ryan and his two sons here and talked most of the  afternoon.  Roy Blaikie called in the evening.

July 13, 1952 – Sunday.  Fine.  Warm and sultry.   Homer, Nancy, Sandy and I went to church and Sunday School.   A small gathering at Sunday School and church.   The Miller family came up for a short time in the evening.  Priscilla is staying for a day or two.

July 14, 1952 – Monday.  Not very fine.  Hay did not dry extra good.   Homer drove to Truro this morning.  Back before noon.   Priscilla and I were sewing.  Put in one load of hay.

July 15, 1952 – Tuesday.  A very hot day.  I did a washing and also ironed.  Put in 5 loads of hay.  Willie Krauch came up with Jim Fulton to work at haying here.

July 16, 1952 – Wednesday.  very hot day.  Minded it more than yesterday.  Baked brown bread.   The Watkins man here today.  Got 5 more loads of hay in.

July 17, 1952 – Thursday.  Some showers and cooler.  Did not do much at haying.  I went to Truro with Rika today.  We had a good trip and I did some shopping.

July 18, 1952 – Friday.  A fine day.  Not so hot.   Cut out and sewed some at a dress for Priscilla.  Put 5 loads of hay in today.

July 19, 1952 – Saturday.  Fine.  pretty hot.  Not so bad as Wednesday.  Baked biscuits, a pie, a cake and a date loaf.  Washed the floor, and finished Priscilla’s dress.  Homer, Joan, Nancy and Sandy went to the village and also took Willie home.

July 20, 1952 – Sunday.  Cloudy and cool.  Went to Sunday School in the morning.   The Miller  family was here.   They took a drive to Riversdale after dinner.   Priscilla went home with them.

July 21, 1952 – Monday.  Cool.  Not a very good hay day.   Homer mowed in the morning and raked it up after supper.   He was down to the village in the afternoon.   I cleaned and made gooseberry preserves and  in the afternoon, we picked red currants.

July 22, 1952 – Tuesday.  A fine day.  Some fog in the morning.    Alfred went over the potatoes with Bug Death this morning.    I did a washing and ironing.  Also made 4 glasses of currant jelly.  Put 3 loads of hay in.

July 23, 1952 – Wednesday.  A hot day.  Getting pretty dry again.   I was sewing.   The men put in 2 loads of hay.  Lots of pulp-wood trucks on the road today.

July 24, 1952 – Thursday.  A fine hot day.  A good wind.   I went down to Bill Tree’s in the mail.  Was there to dinner.  At Min’s for supper and called at Emma’s after supper.  Eddie, Evelyn and baby there.

July 25, 1952 – Friday.  Fine.  Cooler today.   Baked a jelly-roll and made a pie.   Picked some currants and gooseberries.   Eddie, Evelyn and Shirley Ann May here this afternoon.  Put in the last of the hay.  Had a big crop.    A daughter born to Harry and Laura Crowe, Stewiacke, this p.m.

July 26, 1952 – Saturday.  A fine day.  Homer went down to Gordon’s to make hay.  Alfred hoed the strawberry bed and garden.  I did not do much.

Juoy 27, 1952 – Sunday.  Fine.  A cool breeze.    Alfred, Nancy, Sandy and I went to Sunday School and church.  Martin took us.  The Jeep is laid up.  Grant and Min came up from church and we called on Christy.  We found her fairly well.

July 28, 1952 – Monday.  Not very fine.  I baked oatmeal cookies and biscuit.  Mary, Min, Eleanor and Elsie were here in the evening.  Mary brought a part out for the Jeep.   Mrs Susan Parker of Owls Head Harbour called this afternoon.  She is 93 years old.    Mr and Mrs Roy Archibald was driving her.   She is well for her age.

July 29, 1952 – Tuesday.  A heavy thunder storm about supper time.  It rained hard.  I walked down for the mail and called around to see Christy.  She had lots of company today.

July 30, 1952 – Wednesday.  Fine and bright.   Homer went down to Gordon’s to hay.   Lynn came up to spend a couple of days.   I was doing some sewing.

July 31, 1952 – Thursday.  Foggy in the morning.  Fine afternoon.  I did not do much.  I had a touch of stomach flu.  Homer down working at hay for Gordon.

August 1, 1952 – Friday.  Warm.  Not very bright.  Homer at Gordon’s.  They finished haying.   Alfred painted around the square in the room.  The children, Alfred and I had our supper out doors.

Institute at Mary Deyarmond’s this evening.

August 2, 1952 – Saturday.  Fine day.  Made biscuits and cookies.   Homer hauled in wood in the forenoon.  Lynn and Nancy went down in the mail.  Nancy is staying a few days.  Homer, Joan and Sandy went to the village in the evening.

August 3, 1952 – Sunday.  A nice rain in the morning.  Cleared by afternoon.   Sandy and I were to Sunday School.  Everyone had a sleep in the afternoon.

August 4, 1952 – Monday.  A fine nice day.  Not too hot.   Grant came up for us to go down for Min’s 81st birthday. Had quite a table full at supper.  6 from Bev’s, Mac, Mary and Eleanor, Allen, Lena and Leigh, Alfred and myself, Grant and Min.   Came home with Mac Carter.  They went home by Riversdale.

August 5, 1952 – Tuesday.  Fine and warm in the morning.  Clouds and a high wind in afternoon.   I washed a big washing and Alfred and I went to the Aid Picnic at Art Deyarmond’s.   The wind was nasty so we ate supper at the house.   Lena and Min took a tumble and got wet.

August 6, 1952 – Wednesday.  Fine day.  I did the ironing up.  Went down to WMS at the church in the evening.

August 7, 1952 – Thursday.  A dark wet day.  The rain needed bad. I did some painting.  I think that was what it was  (dabbing).

August 8, 1952 – Friday.  Not very fine.   I went down to Ester’s and she cut and did up my hair.

August 9, 1952 – Saturday.  Cloudy again today.  A shower in the evening.  I canned 6 cans of peas, made a blueberry pie, Chinese Chews, and rolls.   Homer, Joan, Nancy and Sandy went tothe village in the evening.

August 10, 1952 – Sunday.  Cloudy and warm.  Went to Sunday School and church.   Mr Calder Fraser spoke on Baptism.  What it really means to be United Church people.

August 11, 1952 – Monday.  Dark and muggy.  Some sunshine in the afternoon.  I canned beets. Homer and Alfred picked peas, and they got 19 cans done.    Also picked more than 2 hampers of beans after supper to can tomorrow.

August 12, 1952 – Tuesday.   Finer.  Joan and I both got our washing and ironing done.

August 13, 1952 – Wednesday.  A wet day.  Rained hard part of the day.   The Old Home Picnic was held at Springside Hall and church grounds.  A big crowd and everyone appeared to enjoy themselves.    We went down and went with Mary Carter and Min.

August 14, 1952 – Thursday.  Cleared and was fine in the afternoon.   The Burnside Women’s Institute went on a trip to Halifax, sightseeing.   Joan went so I was the meal-getter.  Homer went looking for raspberries.  Did not get many.  Willie Krauch here this morning.

August 15, 1952 – Friday.  A fine day.  We got 13 cans of peas done.   Homer, Nancy and Sandy went picking blueberries.  Alfred picked over 3 buckets of peas. We have a big crop.  Gordon, Ester and the boys were here a while in the evening.

August 16, 1952 – Saturday.  A fine day.  Pretty hot.    Baked biscuits, 2 pies and a cake.  Canned 2 cans of blueberries.   Cleaned the windows, and washed up the floors and waxed them.

August 17, 1952 – Sunday.  Windy and cloudy.  No rain.  Had a quiet day.   Went to Sunday School in the morning.

August 18, 1952 – Monday.  Not very fine.  Rain in the night.  Cleared by evening.   Homer down to Gordon’s.  They are working at their house.  Joan washed.  They did not dry very good.  I did not do much.

August 19, 1952 – Tuesday.  Fine day.  Cool.  I washed and ironed.   Homer, Joan, Nancy and Sandy went to Truro.   The children were to the dentist.  Heather stayed with us.

August 20, 1952 – Wednesday.  Fine day.  Elmer cut what oats that was ready to cut.  I walked down to see Christy after supper.  Lelia was there.  She drove me home.   Homer and Joan canning peas and beans.  Baked ginger snaps.

August 21, 1952 – Thursday.  A fine day.   Alfred painted the gate at the cemetery this morning.  Homer down to Gordon’s working today.  Baked brown bread.

August 22, 1952 – Friday.  Cloudy.  Rain in the evening.  Threshing at Elmer’s in the afternoon.  I had Ladies Aid this evening.  About 20 here.

August 23, 1952 – Saturday.  Cleared by noon.  Fine afternoon.   Alfred, Nancy, Sandy and I picked blueberries on the Burnt Hill in the afternoon.   Ernest and Myrtle Burtt accompanied by Min was here to supper.   They went to Truro by Riversdale in the evening.  Homer has bought a half-ton truck.  We were down to the village in the evening.

August 24, 1952 – Sunday.  A squall or two of rain.  Quite cool.  Amanda, Allister, Alex, and two boys here from Dartmouth today.   Rev  Mr Murray at Homer’s for supper.    Homer and Joan took him to Springside in the evening.   Roy, Ina and Patsy arrived in the evening from USA.   Mrs Kennedy was with them.   Mac, Mary, Eleanor and Min also called.

August 25, 1952 – Monday.  A fine day.  Joan did her washing.  I baked biscuits and two pies.   Roy, Ina and Patsy came up after dinner.   Threshing at Elmer’s and Percy’s.  Took Homer’s load of oats over there and threshed them in the afternoon. Mrs Clarie Dickie has passed away.  She had suffered very much.

August 26, 1952 – Tuesday.  Fine day.  Pretty hot.  Roy, Ina, Patsy, Mrs kennedy, Alfred and I        went to truro.  Alfred visited Charlie Blaikie.  The rest of us did some shopping.  Elmer and Homer bound the oats on the field below the old road.

August 27, 1952 – Wednesday.  Fine and hot.  I did a washing in the forenoon.  Went to Mrs Dickie’s funeral in the afternoon.   Called on Mrs Jessie Brown, Andy Dickie’s and at Mrs W.D. Kennedy’s to supper. Called at Herman’s and Gordon’s in the evening.  Ester down to Dartmouth to visit Priscilla today.

August 28, 1952 – Thursday.  Fine.  Homer, Joan, Nancy and Sandy went to the Exhibition in Truro.  Heather stayed with us.  Roy went to the village after dinner.

August 29, 1952 – Friday.  Fine.  A bit cooler toward evening.  Roy and Ina spent the day with us.

August 30, 1952 – Saturday.  Rained some in the morning.  Cooler.  Made a pie and rolls.  Roy came up after supper.  Donna Anne Cecile Breadman born at Halifax Grace Maternity Hospital.

August 31, 1952 – Sunday.  Fine.  Homer, Joan and the children went to Middle Stewiacke.   Roy went away about 2:30 p.m.  Going to start back to USA in the morning.

September 1, 1952 – Monday.  A fine day.  Cooler.   Homer down working at Gordon’s.  Mrs W.D. Kennedy took sick in the early morning and they did not get away as planned.  It is a stroke and severe.  Roy and Patsy went before noon.   Patsy to be able to go to school on Wednesday.

September 2, 1952 – Tuesday.  Fine again.  Homer to the village working.   Mrs Kennedy was taken to the hospital in Truro yesterday afternoon.  Alfred down to visit Min with the mail.  WMS meeting in the church this evening.   Made some bread-and-butter pickles, and cut up  cucumbers and tomatoes for chow.

September 3– Wednesday.  Foggy in the morning.  Fine.   I made chow and washed and ironed.  Mr and mrs L. Boutlier here.  Elsie has a daughter born this morning.  Ester had a letter from Priscilla.  She has a daughter born August 30.

September 4, 1952 – Thursday.  A fine morning and day.   I went down to the village with the mail and stayed all day.  Gordon and Ester, Ina and Mrs Hamilton and I went in to Truro to the hospital. Mrs Kennedy has made a slight improvement.   She can move her paralyzed leg a little.  I called on Elsie.  Gordon and Ester called on Duncan Fisher and Warren Johnson.

September 5, 1952 – Friday.  Another very fine day.  The thresher here this afternoon.  I baked muffins and chinese chews.

September 6, 1952 – no entry

September 7, 1952 – Sunday.  A fine day.  We were to Sunday School in the morning.  Went to Truro with George Deyarmond after dinner.   Took the bus from there to Halifax.  Went to Allister’s in Dartmouth.  Had supper there.  Stayed at Carrie’s all night.

September 8, 1952 – Monday.  Fine.  Quite cool.  Went with Priscilla and the baby to her apartment .  Spent the night there.  The baby is good.

September 9, 1952 – Tuesday.  We were with Priscilla most of this week.

September 10, 1952 – September 12, 1952 – no entries

September 13, 1952 – Saturday.  Fine.  David, Nellie, Amanda, Allister and ourselves went to a show at Sackville Open Air.  Then we went to Allister’s.   Spent most of this next week there.

September 14, 1952 – September 20, 1952 – no entries

September 21, 1952 – Sunday.  A fine day.   After dinner, Alfred went to Priscilla’s and about 3 p.m. Alex took me up and we came home.  Gordon and Ester came down.  Mrs W.D. Kennedy passed away yesterday morning.  Ester and I were down to see Ina after supper.

Septembr 22, 1952 – Monday.  Fine today.  Ester done a washing.   Bydie, Arnold and Ina drove up.  Bydie and Arnold arrived last night about 12:30 a.m.  We went in to the Funeral Parlor in the evening.

September 23, 1952 – Tuesday.  A fine day.   Mrs Kennedy’s funeral this afternoon in the Upper Stewiacke church at 2 p.m.  A large funeral and beautiful flowers.   We went down to the High School at brookfield to see the vegetable show.   There were not many exhibits.

September 24, 1952 – Wednesday.  Rain in the night.   Arnold, Alfred and I came up home in the early morning.  I went back and went to truro.  Bydie and Arnold brought me home in the afternoon and was here to supper.  Bydie and I called on Christie.   Homer went to a meeting in Brookfield and Joan went to Middle Stewiacke.

September 25, 1952 – Thursday.  Another fine day.Bydie, Ina, Mrs Hamilton, Bill Kennedy and Arnold here to dinner.  They came from Truro by Riversdale.  Mrs Hamilton’s birthday.

September 26, 1952 – Friday.  Fine.  Alfred and Homer working at the potatoes.  Mr Warren Johnson’s funeral this afternoon. I made alpple jelly.  Homer and I went to Springside to an Official Board meeting.

September 27, 1952 – Saturday.  Fine.  Baked 3 pies and a cake.  Cleaned up the house.  The men got some more potatoes dug out.  I made a relish this morning of cucumbers.

September 28, 1952 – Sunday.  A very fine day.  Frost last night.  Homer, Nancy, Sandy and I went to church.  Rally Day in the Sunday School.

Septmber 29, 1952 – monday.  A fine hot day.  The men finished the potatoes. had a good crop.  I made some squares of patchwork and knit some.

September 30, 1952 – Tuesday.  A fine day.   Homer, Joan and heather went to new Glasgow today.  I did a washing.  The power went off before I finished.  Down to Margaret’s to Aid in the evening.  Did some work on our quilt for the Mission Box.

October 1, 1952 – Wednesday.  Fine day.  Grand fall weather.  Did some ironing and mending.  WMS meeting in the church.

October 2, 1952 – Thursday.  Mild.  Some cloud in the afternoon.  I sewed up the top and lining for a crib quilt.   In the afternoon, went to Truro with  Neil and Rika.  Gave a donation to the Blood Donor Clinic. Was at Min’s to supper and grant brought Alfred and I home. Baked peanut butter cookies.

October 3, 1952 – Friday.  Some rain in the night.  Mary Deyarmond here this morning collecting for Children’s Aid.  Put in a crib quilt that I am making for Amanda.

October 4, 1952 – Saturday.  Cleared today.  Rained last night.  Baked 3 pies and a gingerbread.  Cleaned up the rooms and finished the crib quilt I put in yeaterday.   Homer, Joan, Nancy and Sandy went to the village in the evening.

October 5, 1952 – Sunday.  Frost this morning.  A very fine, nice day.   Homer, Alfred and I went to Springside to church.  This is World Communion Sunday.   We went for a walk out Jack’s Road with Nancy and Sandy in the afternoon.

October 6, 1952 – Monday.  A fine day.  Mild.  Joan washed a big washing.  The well is low, so that the pump does not work good. Alfred was working at the strawberry patch and picked some beans.  I was sewing.

October 7, 1952 – Tuesday.  Fine.  A nice warm day.  Was sewing.  Homer down to the village in the morning.   Mrs Suther Fisher passed away very suddenly last evening.

October 8, 1952 – Wednesday.  Cloudy.  Cleared before sundown.  Cooler.  I sewed the top and lining of a crib quilt and put it into the frames.  Baked bread and made apple sauce.

October 9, 1952 – Thursday.  Hard frost this morning.  Fine.  Washed and ironed.  Did a little mending.   Had some fuss with the pump this p.m.  Mrs Fisher’s funeral this afternoon.

October 10, 1952 – Friday.  Colder and windy.  I worked on the quilt and got some work done on it.  Took it out in the evening.   Allie and Jennie came last  evening.  Min, Alice, Allie and Jennie called in the afternoon.

October 11, 1952 – Saturday.  Cloudy.  Cleared in the afternoon.  Baked a cake, pie and rolls.  Got the quilt bound and finished.

October 12, 1952 – Sunday.  A fine day.  Alfred, Homer, Nancy, Sandy and I went to church. Quite a lot there this afternoon.  Allie,Jennie, Min, Mary, Eleanor and Nellie had supper with us.  Mary and Eleanor was at Homer’s.

October 13, 1952 – Monday.  A grand day.  Allie came and we went down to Min’s.  Had dinner with them, and took a drive over to Elwood’s.  Came back, had supper and called at Bill Tree’s.  They had all been up here to supper.  Allie and Jennie drove us home.  Had a nice day.

October 14, 1952 – Tuesday.  Cloudy.  Did not rain much.  Alfred and I gathered up some gravel for the hens.  I walked down and got the mail.

October 15, 1952 – Wednesday.  A beautiful fall day.  Baked cookies and brown bread.  Allie and Jennie left for home today.

October 16, 1952 – Thursday.  A nice rain in the night.  Warm.  Cleared through the day.  I went down and helped Helen with a crib quilt for the Mission Box.  Homer working on the telephone line.

October 17, 1952 – Friday.  A fine day.  I did a big washing and ironing, Washed the floor.   Homer, Joan and Heather went to Dartmouth.  Got home about 10 p.m.  Had a call from Lester Johnson and Willie Krauch.

October 18, 1952 – Saturday.  A cold wind.  Baked some doughnuts.  Made beans and in the afternoon went down to the school house and we quilted the Mission Box quilt.  Mary Deyarmond, Annie Wood, Mary Graham, Margaret Deyarmond, Alice Graham and Helen Graham.

October 19, 1952 – Sunday.  This morning the snow was falling.  Cleared before noon and by night had disappeared.  The ground was covered.  The children made snowmen.  Quiet day.  Read, slept, had our meals and did the chores.

October 20, 1952 – Monday.  Cold and windy.   Homer and Alfred went down to Bill Tree’s for the young cattle.  I went along and visited a while with Elsie.   Alfred pulled some turnips in the afternoon.

October 21, 1952 – Tuesday.  Cold and windy.  I went down in the mail to Gordon and Ester’s and Ester and I went to Dartmouth.  Got down with Elwood and Peg.  Got back to Gordon’s about 10:30 p.m.  Snowed on us coming home.

October 22, 1952 – Wednesday.  A cold windy day.  Ester and I went calling.  Was at Mr Matheson’s and Mr W.D. Kennedy’s.  Found them pretty well.  Gordon and Esther went to a Mason’s banquet in Great Village in the evening.  I stayed with the boys.

October 23, 1952 – Thursday.  A nice day.   I came home in the mail and done a few things in the afternoon.

October 24, 1952 – Friday.  Mild.  A few squalls of rain.  I was sewing.  Made 2 pairs of children’s overalls.  Walked down and visited Christy a little while.  Mr Matheson called in the afternoon.

October 25, 1952 – Saturday.  Fine.  A cold wind and squalls in the aftrnoon.    I went down with Homer and helped Helen clean up the church.  Mary came and helped too.  Baked sone biscuit and brown bread.

October 26, 1952 – Sunday.  Ground white with snow this morning.  Fine.  Wind cold.   Homer and I went down and we helped do some things about the church, and put in chairs.  The 55th Anniversary of the opening of Stiles Church was held in the afternoon.  The church was filled.  Rev. Aubrey Moore was guest speaker.  His text was Ephesians 4:13.  Mrs E.J.O. Fraser and her daughter  Mrs Moore were present.  We served them a lunch.

October 27, 1952 – Monday.  A fine day although windy.  I got my glad bulbs dug.    Had a call from Rev and Mrs H.H. Blanchard of River John.    Also Lyman Fulton is making us a visit today, spending the night.  Homer and Joan went over to Roy’s in the evening.

October 28, 1952 – Tuesday.  Fine.  A high wind.  Homer and Joan went to the village this morning.  I did a big washing and got them ironed.   The clothes blew bad.  Mr Fulton went away after dinner.  Homer, Joan, Nancy and Sandy went to a show in Upper Stewiacke.

October 29, 1952 – Wednesday.  Cloudy.  Snow squalls in the evening.  Baked bread and cookies.  Ladies Aid over at Gwen’s.  We packed a box for Missions.   Had a lot of things.  Value – $64.00.

October 30, 1952 – Thursday.  Fine.  Homer, Joan and Heather went to Truro.  Alfred and I cleaned the bedroom upstairs.   I washed the curtains, also our bedroom curtains.  Nancy and Sandy here for supper.

October 31, 1952 – Friday.  Another nice day.  We cleaned our bedroom. I baked 3 squash pies.  Homer, Joan, Nancy and Sandy went out a while on a Halloween trip.  Had some callers outside.  Hauled the dump cart away.

November 1, 1952 – Saturday.  Fine.  Very hazy.  Cleaned the ashes out of the stove and cleaned it up.  Baked some biscuit.    Mary Graham and Sara Dickie here and had dinner with us.  They went down to call on Christie in the afternoon.   Homer, Alfred and I were down to Grant’s in the evening.

November 2, 1952 – Sunday.  Fine.  Mild and hazy.   Homer and family went down to Lantz today.    Alfred and I took a walk about the place.  A very nice day.

November 3, 1952 – Monday.  A mild day.  Windy.  Homer was plowing.  Joan did a big washing.  I was sewing at a crib quilt.

November 4, 1952 – Tuesday.  A wet day.  Colder tonight.  Did not do much.  Have a sore shoulder. Homer went to the village in the afternoon.

November 5, 1952 – Wednesday.  Finer.  Cold towards night.  I was sewing at a quilt.  Went to the WMS meeting in the evening.  Gordon and Jim here while we were away.  Brought us 40 pounds of pork at 35 cents per pound.

November 6, 1952 – Thursday.  Fine.  Cold wind.  Baked ginger snaps, bread and squash pies.  Put a crib quilt in and quilted some.  Alfred dug the parsnips.

November 7, 1952 – Friday.  A fine day.  I was quilting all day.

November 8, 1952 – Saturday.  Not very fine.  Rain squalls in the afternoon.  I did a washing but they did not dry.  Canned 4 cans of pork.  Made a squash pie, also finished the crib quilt.

November 9, 1952 – Sunday.  A nice fall day.  We went to church.  Remembrance Day Service.  Had a Baptismal service too.  Five children baptized. – Carol Anne Miller, Joyce Myrtle Miller, Edith Louise MacKay, Brenda Joan and Franklyn Wynn Tree.

November 10, 1952 – Monday.  A wet day.  Rain and drizzle all day.   I did some ironing and mended what clothes there was to be mended in the wash.  Bound the crib quilt in the afternoon.

November 11, 1952 – Tuesday.  Dull day.  Did not rain till evening.  I was sewing.  Joan did a washing.  Did not dry much.  Remembrance Day.  The service from the Peace Tower in Ottawa was beautiful.

November 12, 1952 – Wednesday.  Another dark day.  Some rain.   Homer, Joan and Heather went to the village.   Homer took a steer down to be shipped to Moncron.  Alfred and Hazel here to dinner.  Homer and Joan had dinner with us too.   Homer got a load of sawdust this afternoon to bank the house.

November 13, 1952 – Thursday.  Cold and windy.  Joan did a washing.  I made rolls and put in a quilt.  Heather got her hand cut tonight.   The Doctor was at Bill Graham’s, so they took her down and he dressed it.

November 14, 1952 – Friday.  A cold day.  The ground frozen quite hard tonight.  Finished the crib quilt.  This is the 4th one I have made for Amanda for her grandchildren.  The Rawleigh man here this afternoon.

November 15, 1952 – Saturday.  Fine.  Cold in the morning.  Milder in afternoon.  Baked bread, a cake and 2 squash pies.  Dusted up the house some.

November 16, 1952 – Sunday.  A dull drizzly day.   Homer, Joan and the children went away.  Alfred and I walked down to the cemetery.  Called to see Christie.  Everyone away so we walked home again.

November 17, 1952 – Monday.  Fine.  A high wind this evening.  I cleaned the cupboard.  Joan done a washimg.  Homer was putting up some snow fence.

November 18, 1952 – Tuesday.  A high wind blew hard all night.  Was cleaning the room today – the woodwork, and windows and dish cupboard.

November 19, 1952 – Wednesday.  Still a high wind.  Died down some by evening.  Squalls.  Finished the room.  Washed and waxed the floor.

November 20, 1952 – Thursday.  Another wet cloudy day.  Not so windy.  baked molasses biscuits and doughnuts.  Did up some jobs of mending and packed a box for Missions.

November 21, 1952 – Friday.  A nit finer.  The sun shone an hour or two.  did a washing in the morning.  In the afternoon, I walked over to George MacKay’s.   George shot a deer yeaterday.  Had 9 points on his horns.  A card party at the school house.  Homer went alone.

November 22, 1952 – Saturday.  A cloudy day.  We went down with the mail to Grant’s.Was also doing collecting for the Bible Society.  Grant and I went to Bradford’s, Arnold Wood’s, Arthur’s and Bert’s in the evening.

November 23, 1952 – Sunday.  A fine sunny day.  Went to church with Grant and came home after church.

November 24, 1952 – Monday.  A fine day.  Joan got a big washing dried.  I cleaned the hall and done up some mending.

November 25, 1952 – Tuesday.  A nice day.  Homer, Alfred and I went to Truro.  The roads are pretty good.  Did a little shopping and was at Charlie Blaikie’s all night.  Found Bessie and Charlie pretty well.

November 26, 1952 – Wednesday.  Another fine day.  Mary came over for us before dinner.  Alfred, Mary and Nellie Grant went to the County Home to visit  Henry Graham.  I was to a meeting at Brunswick St church. In the evening we went and visited  Mrs Melissa Johnson at East Mountain.

November 27, 1952 – Thursday.  A dark day.  Did not rain much.  Alfred got his teeth and his glasses mended in the afternoon.

November 28, 1952 – Friday.  A wet day.  Rained till late afternoon.  Alfred and I went to Charlie Blaikie’s and spent the day.  I was over on Inglis Street a few minutes.  Was in some stores.   Mac and Mary and Eleanor came out to Grant’s after supper and we came back with them.   Homer cme down there for us.

November 29, 1952 – Saturday.  A nice day.  Baked bread, made a squash pie and made cookies.  Homer, Joan, Nancy and Sandy went to the village.  Ladies Aid at Mrs Arnold Wood’s in the evening.  A nice evening.

November 30, 1952 – Sunday.  A dull day.  A snow flurry.  A quiet day.  Done some reading and had 3 meals.

December 1, 1952 – Monday.  Snowy and colder.  Done some mending and sewing.   Joan washed but did not put them all out.   Nancy went into the 2nd Grade in school today.

December 2, 1952 – December 4, 1952 – no entries

December 5, 1952 – Friday.  Fine.  Homer, Joan, Nancy and Sandy went to Truro. Sandy got a tooth out.   Heather stayed with us.  She was a good girl.  Cooked squash to can.

December 6, 1952 – Saturday. Dull day.  Done up some work and then in the afternoon, Gordon and  Jim came up and we went down to the village.Called at Christie’s and Mac’s.

December 7, 1952 – Sunday.  Some snow in the night.  Good snowballing.  The boys were out most of the day.   Gordon, Ester and I went to church in the evening.

December 8, 1952 – Monday.  A dull day.  Not a good wash day.  Homer came down and he and Gordon sawed down 2 big elm trees that took years to grow.  They were too near the house.

December 9, 1952 – Tuesday.  Weather the same.  A bit more breeze.  Was doing some sewing.  Washed out some things.

December 10, 1952 – Wednesday.  Dark and cloudy.  Was knitting and sewing.

December 11, 1952 – Thursday.  A fine day.  Foggy in the evening.  Baked biscuit, gingerbread and squares.   Helped Gwen quilt in the afternoon.  Got the quilt out by 9 o’clock.   Bradford and Ivan were at George’s to supper.

December 12, 1952 – Friday.  Soft and mild.  I wakled down to Christie’s in the afternoon.  Lots of mud on my feet when I got back.

December 13, 1952 – Saturday.  Dark and misty in the forenoon, but a nice afternoon.  Alfred, Nancy, Sandy and I went over to the woods.  We gathered some evergreens. I made bread, doughnuts and a pie.

December 14, 1952 – Sunday.  A fine day.  Mild.   Gordon, Ester and the boys were here to dinner.  The children gathered some more evergreens.  Mary and Mac Graham called in the evening.

December 15, 1952 – Monday.  A dark day.  Some rain by night.  Joan washed but did not put the clothes out.  They went to the store in the afternoon.  I baked a cake.

December 16, 1952 – Tuesday.  Snow.  Very soft.  The trees are loaded.   Homer had no trouble getting out when he took the children to school.  I put up my Christmas decorations.

December 17, 1952 – December 18  – no entries

December 19, 1952 – Friday.  Fine.  Alfred and I went down to Grant’s in the evening.  Homer took us down.  Homer and I called on Elsie and Bill , and was also over to Murray’s.  The school children had a Christmas Party at school this afternoon.

December 20, 1952 – Saturday.  Cloudy.  I made rolls, brown bread and done some other things for Min.   Grant, Min and I were down to the village in the afternoon.

December 21, 1952 – Sunday.  Quite a nice day.  We had our WMS Christmas Service at Mrs P.W. Graham’s.  had a nice meeting and we presented her with a Life Membership Certificate.  We served them a lunch.   The roads and hills have enough snow to be slippery.

December 22, 1952 – Monday.  A nice day.  Grant was hauling in some trees for wood.  Alfred and I did a washing for Min, and was down to Bill Tree’s in the afternoon.  Grant brought us home before dark.

December 23, 1952 – Tuesday.  Cloudy and mild.  Was  wrapping parcels andfixing up around.   Homer took us down to the village in the evening.  The roads are good.    We went to Gordon’s.  Are going to spend Christmas with them.

December 24, 1952 – Wednesday.  A wet day.  Took the snow off.   We played some games in the evening with the three boys.

December 25, 1952 – Thursday.  Fine day and quiet.  After breakfast we opened our presents.  Everyone got something.  Ester, an electric tea kettle, and Jim , a watch.  We had a good dinner.  Roast goose, and strawberry shortcake.   In the afternoon, Gordon, Ester and myself went to Bev’s for a call.

December 26, 1952 – Friday.  Finished the goose at dinner today.  Guess we were not very busy.

December 27, 1952 – Saturday.  Mild.  Snow in the evening.  Our 47th wedding anniversary.   Mrs Esther Hamilton and W.D. Kennedy were up and had supper with us.   Ester and I down to the post office and called at W.D. Kennedy’s in the forenoon.

December 28, 1952 – Sunday.  Snow in the night.  About noon it began snowing again, and blowing.  A rough afternoon and evening.

December 29, 1952 – Monday.  Storm over.  Not a big fall of snow.  Bev plowed the roads in Burnside.  It was drifted in places.  The big plow went up and down, but no snow along the road here.

December 30, 1952 – Cold and windy.  We called on J.D.Cox and visited W.D. Kennedy and Mrs Hamilton.

December 31, 1952 – Pretty cold day.  Ester, Alfred and I  were up and called on Mr and Mrs David Kennedy.   Gordon and the boys hauling wood.   A dance in the hall in the evening.

1934 1935 1936 1937 1938 1939 1940 1941 1942 1943
1944 1945 1946 1947 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953
1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963