The Journals of Annabelle Johnson 1950

The Journals of
Annabelle Johnson

January 1, 1950 – Sunday.  Cloudy.  Homer and family went to Middle Stewiacke this morning.  Bev and Rika here to supper.  A son born to Mr and Mrs Bud Wood this morning at 5 o’clock.January 2, 1950 – Monday.  Pretty fine.  Cut out some sewing.   Alfred walked out to the woods where Homer was cutting wood.

January 3, 1950 – Tuesday.  A dark day.  Rain in the afternoon and evening.  Mild.  I was sewing.  Made a night shirt for Alfred and some mending.  Joan washed but the clothes did not dry.

January 4, 1950 – Wednesday.  Warm.  About 50 degrees or more.  Did not do much.  Was down to Mar (Mac)’s to WMS.  The roads were very soft.

January 5, 1950 – Thursday.  Very warm.  Some cooler in the evening.  I have been working on the church books.  Bert Hamilton told me that Tom Bustin died very suddenly on Monday.

January 6, 1950 – Friday.  Colder.  I was doing some work on the church books.  Baked bread, a cake and made custard.

January 7, 1950 – Saturday.  Quite a lot of snow, and snowing some times through the day.  Homer got along all right – heavy going.  We canned 4 cans of beef.

January 8, 1950 – Sunday.  Blowing hard most of the day.  Getting colder.  Did not have church.

January 9, 1950 –  Monday.  A cold morning.  24 below zero.  I did some sewing.  Made a pot of soup and wrote letters.  The cream truck, and a truck hauling logs on the roads.

January 10, 1950 – Tuesday.  Not very fine.  I washed.  The clothes dried some.  Homer hauled 2 loads of wood in the afternoon.

January 11, 1950 – Wednesday.  Stormed in the night.  Got the ironing done.  Joan went to Institute.  A windy night.

January 12, 1950 – Thursday.  Cold and windy.  The snow plow here in the afternoon.   I finished a house dress and made an apron.  Joan washed and left the clothes out.   Baked 2 pies and bread.

January 13, 1950 – Friday.  A nice day.  Quite cold in the morning.  I did not do much.  Sewed a little and knit.  Joan, Nancy and Sandy went to the woods with Homer for a load of wood.  They saw 2 moose.

January 14, 1950 – Saturday.  Rained this morning.  Alfred went down to see Min.  It was very foggy.

January 15, 1950 – January 17, 1950 – no entries.

January 18, 1950 – Wednesday.  The snow is nearly all gone.  I have not been doing much.  Keeping off my leg.  It is pretty sore some days.

January 19, 1950 – Thursday.  Fine.  Cold wind.  Done some cooking in the morning.  Knit some and read.

January 20, 1950 – Friday.  A cold day.  Alfred sawed some wood.  Homer and Joan went to Truro.   Nancy and Sandy spent the day with us.   The roads are fair.  Some ice.

January 21, 1950 – Saturday.  A cold day.  I cleaned up around some.  Made a crock of beans and baked biscuit.

January 22, 1950 – Sunday.  A few snow flurries.  Went to church.  Had our annual meeting.  Had a balance of $12.00.   I hurt my leg getting into the jeep.

January 23, 1950 – Monday.  Mild day.  I was in bed till4 o’clock.  My leg is sore.  Farm Forum here this evening.  There were 20 ladies and gents here.

January 24, 1950 – Tuesday.  Some sunshine this morning.  Was in bed till afternoon.  Was out and had supper with Nancy and the rest.  This is her birthday.

January 25, 1950 – Wednesday.  Mild day.  Got up in time to get the dinner.  Homer hauled 3 load of wood in the morning.  They butchered the beef in the afternoon.

January 26, 1950 – Thursday.  Mild.  Awful foggy.  I went down to see the Doctor about my leg.   He said I had better keep on the go,  and bandaged it.  Pretty sore.

January 27, 1950 – January 29, 1950 – no entries

January 30, 1950 – Monday.  A wet morning.  Cleared and was pretty windy.  Washed and the clothes dried good.   Got word around – the line bad.

January 31, 1950 – Tuesday.  Some snow.  Alfred went down to see Min.  She went to Truro this afternoon.  Had a birthday company for supper.  Got 12 cards and 2 dollars.

February 1, 1950 – Wednesday.  A nice day.  Joan done her washing.  I canned some beef.

February 2, 1950 – Thursday.  A fine day.  We cut up the beef suet.  Mr Henry Johnson passed away this morning.  He was 88 years old.

February 3, 1950 – Friday.  A little more snow last night.  Homer sledded some logs today.   Baked bread and made mince meat.

February 4, 1950 – Saturday.  Cloudy.  Little snow squalls.   Alfred went to Henry Johnson’s funeral with Bev and Rika.  Den and David in a few minutes.

February 5, 1950 – Sunday.  A cold windy day.  Just kept quiet and did not do anything but read and rest.

February 6, 1950 – Monday.  Cold morning.  15 below zero.  Homer hauling logs and wood.  Homer went to Farm Forum at Bev’s in the evening.

February 7, 1950 – Tuesday.  A cold day.  Made doughnuts.  We stayed close to our rooms today.

February 8, 1950 – Wednesday.  Cold morning.  20 below zero.  Alfred walked down to Mart’s this morning.  Bev was here in the night and plowed the road.  Baked some scotch cakes.

February 9, 1950 –  No entry

February 10, 1950 – Friday.  Rain in the morning.  Olin here a while this morning.  Homer , Joan and children down to the village in the afternoon.  Ester came back with them, and stayed all night.

February 11, 1950 – Saturday.  A nice day.  A big reception last night for Mr and Mrs Fred Graham.

February 12, 1950 – Sunday.  A nice day.  I did not go to church.  The rest went.

February 13, 1950 – Monday.  Snow flurries.  Alfred out to the woods helping Homer saw down some big trees. I did some mending and knitting.  Joan got her washing dried.

February 14, 1950 – Tuesday.  A nice bright day.  Done a washing and got them dried.  Butchered the pig this afternoon.

February 15, 1950 – Wednesday.  Cloudy.  But a nice day.  Did the ironing and some mending,.  Baked gingerbread.  Called Min in Truro at Mary’s.   The Watkins man here today.

February 16, 1950 – Thursday.  Snowing today.  Not a heavy fall of snow.  Alfred and I made potted head.

February 17, 1950 – Friday.  Finer.  Enough snow for sledding.  Homer sledding wood and logs.

February 18, 1950 – Saturday.  A nice day.  Baked a loaf of bread and 2 pies.  Did not do much.  Homer hauling logs in the afternoon.

February 19, 1950 – Sunday.  Cloudy and mild.  Jerry and Blendiss (sic) here to dinner.  Mr and Mrs Clarence Watson called in the afternoon.    Homer, Joan and children  away to supper.   Fivr years today since Cecil was killed in action.

February 20, 1950 – February 22, 1950 – no entries

February 23, 1950 – Thursday.  Some hail.  Sort of nasty.  I spent the day at Bev’s.  Had a nice visit.

February 24, 1950 – Friday.  Fine day.  Was down to the church.  We met for the World’s Day of Prayer service of the WMS.  Ten members present.

February 25, 1950 – Saturday.  Snow and windy.  Baked a pie.  Made custard and beans.  Did some knitting.

February 26, 1950 – Sunday.  Sunny and cold.  Alfred and I went to church.  Homer took us down.  Mr Fraser’s subject was “Our Church”.

February 27, 1950 – Monday.  Pretty fine.  Joan did a washing.  Alfred and I went down to Mart’s.  Was there to supper.  Homer, Joan and children went to the village.

February 28, 1950 – Tuesday.  Fine.  Pretty cold.  I washed and got the ironing done too.

March 1, 1950 – Wednesday.  Snowin the morning.  Rain in the afternoon.  Bev, Rika, Ester and Florence went to Halifax.  Florence is to train for a nurse.  The roads were slippery on the pavement.

March 2, 1950 – Thursday.  Colder and sunny.  Homer’s cold some better.  I put a mat in today.  Also made a pie.

March 3, 1950 – Friday.  Cold and windy.  Homer got 4 loads of wood home today.  I was hooking.  A shower for Mr and Mrs Forbes Graham this evening.

March 4, 1950 – Saturday.  Fine.  Baked brown bread and rolls.   Grant, Martin, Roy and Homer had a Managers meeting and decided about a Memorial tablet for the church.

March 5, 1950 – Sunday.  Snowing some.  Homer, Joan, Nancy and Sandy went to Middle Stewiacke.The roads were very slippery.  They got there and back safely.

March 6, 1950 – Monday.  Snow.  Some thick squalls.  I worked some at my mat.  Bev was here with the snow plow at supper time.  The fertilizer came.  The truck did not get up the hill.  Homer and Joan went to Farm Forum at George  Deyarmond’s.

March 7, 1950 – Tuesday.  Windy and cold.  I was hooking.  Coloured mat rags in the forenoon.

March 8, 1950 – Wednesday.  A nice day.  Joan was in bed today.  Not feeling well.  Homer hauled 2 loads of wood from Elmer’s.

March 9, 1950 – Thursday.  Rain.  The roads and yard are slippery.  Hauled water to the cows.   I was working at  the mat.  Russell here collecting a flat rate for Light & Power Company.

March 10, 1950 – Friday.  Windy and cold to-night.  I baked 4 pies and hooked at my mat.

March 11, 1950 – Saturday.  Milder.  Cold towards night.  Baked bread and a cake.  Got the rooms cleaned up and done some work on the mat.

March 12, 1950 – Sunday.  Snowing.  Did not have church.  Roads are slippery.  Had a sleep and read.

March 13, 1950 – Monday.  Fine day.  Joan got her washing dried.  Alfred was sawing wood.  I finished my mat.  Trucks hauling logs, and the cream truck was up.

March 14, 1950 – Tuesday.  Some snow.  Was sewing and knitting some.

March 15, 1950 – Wednesday.  A nice day.  Cold wind.  Washed and the clothes dried good.   A Basket Social at Springside.  The roads are good.

March 16, 1950 – Thursday.  Fine.  A cold wind.  Alfred was down to see Mart this morning.  Homer and I went to Aid at Arthur Deyarmond’s in the evening. I did the ironing.  Homer to Truro in the afternoon.

March 17, 1950 – Friday.  Fine.  Canned baked beans.   Baked bread.  A card party at the school house tonight.  Cold morning.  8 below zero.

March 18, 1950 – Saturday.  Pretty cold and windy.  Snowing.  Alfred and I went down to spend the week-end with Min.   Noel came up to spend the week-end.

March 19, 1950 – Sunday.  Snowy.  No move at all.  Noel went home in afternoon.

March 20, 1950 – Monday.  Sunny.  Snow drifted in afternoon.  Alfred went out to the woods with Grant in the afternoon.  Snow plow up in the evening.   David was in a while in the evening.

March 21, 1950 – Tuesday.  A fine day.  Quite warm.  Alfred and I came home in the mail.  Homer, Joan and children went to the village in the afternoon.  I washed some for Min.

March 22, 1950 – Wednesday.  A nice day.  I put a mat in today.  Alfred was sawing wood.  He has some cold.  Homer in the woods.

March 23, 1950 – March 25, 1950 – no entries.

March 26, 1950 – Sunday.  A nice day.  Homer, Joan and the children down to Norman MacKay’s to dinner.

March 27, 1950 – Monday.  A grand day to dry clothes.  Joan done her washing. I was working at my mat.  I have some cold.

March 28, 1950 – Tuesday.  Wet day.  I was hooking.  We had a good visit from Angus Graham this afternoon.

March 29, 1950 – Wednesday.  Very warm.  Foggy in the morning.  Cleared.  A nice aftrnoon.  Lots of mud.  Joan was in bed part of the day.  The men were cutting wood.

March 30, 1950 – Thursday.  Dark in the morning.  Cleared in afternoon.  Not much on today.  Alfred cut wood and I hooked at the mat.

March 31, 1950 – Friday.  A fine day.  Washed quite a big washing.  Did some work on the mat.   I went down to see the Doctor.  He put a bandage on my leg.   Was at Gordon’s a while.

April 1, 1950 – Saturday.  Snow and windy.  Quite a lot of snow.  Did the ironing.  Baked bread and hooked some.

April 2, 1950 – Sunday.  A pretty good day.  Rested and read.  Also had a sleep.

April 3, 1950 – Monday.  Dull.  Joan and Homer washed clothes.  Partly dried.  I finished the mat.  Alfred was cutting wood.

April 4, 1950 – Tuesday.  Dark and foggy.  Homer and Joan went to Truro to the Hospital.  Left about 1 a.m.  Homer got home around 7 a.m.  A false alarm.  Mary came up with the mail.

April 5, 1950 – Wednesday.  Not fine.  I baked cookies and 2 pies.  Also rolls.  WMS at Min’s in the evening.  The roads are bad.

April 6, 1950 – Thursday.  A wet day.  Snow in the evening.  I cut out a dress for myself.

April 7, 1950 – Friday.  Quite a lot of snow.  Cold and windy tonight.  I was sewing.  Good Friday.

April 8, 1950 – Saturday.  Blustery.  Homer did not go with the mail.  The roads are bad – very bad.  Cleaned up the rooms.  Baked bran muffins.

April 9, 1950 – Sunday.  Cold and snowed most of the day.  No church in Upper Stewiacke today.  Bev here with snowplow in the evening.   A lot of snow on the hill.

April 10, 1950 – Monday.  Snowing hard and blowing.  17 inches of snow reported in Halifax.

April 11, 1950 – Tuesday.  Stormy in  morning.  Better by night.  The snow plow here in the evening.  Homer did not go with the mail.  Could not get out.

April 12, 1950 – Wednesday.  Cloudy.  Clothes dried.  Mary washed.  Homer went with the mail today.  Mary went to the Institute at Allen’s this evening.

April 13, 1950 – Pretty fine.  Washed and got them ironed.

April 14, 1950 – Friday.  Not storming.  Mr Fraser here today.  I was hooking some.

April 15, 1950 – Saturday.  Snow squalls and cloudy.  Baked 2 pies, gingerbread, biscuits and a cake.  Homer and children went to Middle Stewiacke.  Mary went home for the week-end.

April 16, 1950 – Sunday.  Cold morning.  Fine and sunny. Martin came up and watered the horses for Alfred.  Homer, Mary and the children got home before dark.

April 17, 1950 – Monday.  Nice fine day.  Awful sloppy.  The children got wet 3 times.  Mary washed.   I was hooking at the mat.  Men sawing wood.

April 18, 1950 – no entry

April 19, 1950 – Wednesday. – Finished cutting wood this afternoon.

April 20, 1950 – Thursday.  Not very fine.  Homer cutting logs.  I was hooking.

April 21, 1950 – Alfred down to visit Mart this morning.

April 22, 1950 – Saturday.  Not very fine.  Sandy webt with Homer on the mail.   I was busy till 4 p.m. at the mat.  Then snugged things up a bit.  Mary went home for the week-end.

April 23, 1950 – Sunday.  A nice afternoon.  We went to church.  Alfred stayed at home.  Mary came back from church.  Homer went to Middle Stewiacke after supper.

April 24, 1950 – Monday.  The ground covered with snow this morning.  Nasty day.  Homer got home in the afternoon.  I finished the mat I was hooking.

April 25, 1950 – Tuesday.  Fine.  Mary washed.  Alfred and I cleaned the cupboard.  We were down to Mart’s in the evening.  Mart and Christy’;s 54th Wedding Anniversary.

April 26, 1950 – Wednesday.  Done my washing and ironing.  Mart walked up this afternoon.

April 27, 1950 – Thursday.  Fine.  Mary cleaning house.  Got the closet upstairs done today.

April 28, 1950 – Friday.  Another fine day.   Alfred painting the hall.  I washed the curtains in the bedroom.   Homer went down to Middle Stewiacke this evening.

April 29, 1950 – Saturday.  Baked rolls and Mary and I finished papering the hall.

April 30, 1950 – Sunday.  Fine.  Homer, Alfred and I went to Springside to Communion Service. Homer, Mary and children down to Mrs Cy’s for supper.

May 1, 1950 – May 2, 1950 – no entries

May 3, 1950 – Wednesday.  A fine day.  Washed.

May 4, 1950 – Thursday.  Fine.  We finished taking the paper off, and washed the paint.   Done some ironing.

May 5, 1950 – Friday.  Fine.  Grant and Min here and had supper.  Alfred’s birthday.  Mr Fraser and Mr Bill Miller called.

May 6, 1950 – Saturday.  Wet and dark.  Homer and Alfred cleaned up the old house in the afternoon.  I baked a cake and a pie.

May 7, 1950 – Sunday.  Fine.  A high wind.  Sunday School opened today.  Mr Thompson, the assistant minister preached.  Homer went to Middle Stewiacke in the evening.

May 8, 1950 – Monday.  Very cold and windy.  Mary came back last night.  Alfred was painting at the room.  Harold  Fraser here this afternoon.  Lee Cameron moved into his camp.

May 9, 1950 – Tuesday.  Warm in afternoon.  Cleaned the cupboard.  Alfred painting.

May 10, 1950 – Wednesday.  Rained hard in afternoon and evening.  Still busy at the room.  Over to Gwen’s to Institute in the evening.

May 11, 1950 – Thursday.  Fine.  Nancy went with the mail.  Mary and I papered the room.  Had a busy day.

May 12, 1950 – Friday.  Fine.  Wind drying the ground.  Getting things back in place.  David here to dinner and supper.  Emma and Mac called on the way for a reception for Mr and Mrs Ed Graham.

May 13, 1950 – Saturday.  Fine.  I done some more things about.  Made a pie and gingerbread.  Mary went home in the evening.  Homer harrowing.   This was his last day driving the mail.

May 14, 1950 – Sunday.  Rain in the morning.  Cleared.  Homer and children went to Middle Stewiacke.  Grant came up for us to go to church.  Mary came up after church.

May 15, 1950 – Monday.  Fine.  A nice day.  Mary washed.  I did some sewing.  The Fuller Brush Man was here.  We were down to the cemetery this evening.  Sowed lime and fixed the shrubs.

May 16, 1950 – Tuesday.  Fine.  Rain by evening.  I washed and got the clothes dried and ironed.

May 17, 1950 – Wednesday.  Wet and squalls.  Cut out and was sewing on a dress for Mary.

May 18, 1950 – Thursday.  Cold wind.  Finished Mary’s dress.  Homer got the loan of Lee Cameron’s car and went down and brought Joan home.

May 19, 1950 – Friday.  Hard frost last night.  Homer spread manure and harrowed.  I baked bread, pies, cookies and doughnuts.

May 20, 1950 – Saturday.  Rain last night.  Alfred and I went down with the mail to David’s and Grant’s. Homer down to the store in the evening.

May 21, 1950 – Sunday.  Finer.  Cold wind.  Went to Sunday School and church.  Went down to Mac’s to supper.  Mac brought Mary and I home after supper.

May 22, 1950 – Monday.  A good wash day.  Hard frost this morning.  Mary washed.  A high wind.

May 23, 1950 – Tuesday.  A nice day.  Joan went to Truro last night to Hospital. The Doctor took her in.  Homer got back about noon.  Washed today.

May 24, 1950 – Wednesday.  A nice warm day.  Windy.  Homer sowed the oats today.  Got all done.  Mary, the children and myself were down to the brook.  Didn’t one catch a trout.  Forest Fire started out Greenfield way.

May 25, 1950 – Thursday.  A very warm day.  Mary went to the Institute rally in Stewiacke.  Homer went to Truro to visit Joan in the hospital.   A load of supplies for the camp in the barn tonight.

May 26, 1950 – Friday.  A nice fine day.   Got some garden seeds planted.  Baked bread and rolls, also gingerbread and biscuits.

May 27, 1950 – Saturday.  Fine.  Put in some more garden and did a little cooking.

May 28, 1950 – Sunday.  Fine.  Homer and the children went toTruro.  Gordon, Ester, Priscilla and the 3 boys here in afternoon and to supper.

May 29, 1950 – Monday.  Fine.  Mary done her washing.  A fire broke out in Musquodoboit about noon and spread fast.

May 30, 1950 – Tuesday.  Fine and hot.  A call for food for fire-fighters in the afternoon.  A house and barn burnt in Pleasant Valley yesterday.

May 31, 1950 – Wednesday.  Fine.  Pretty hot and dry.  Aid at Mrs Murray Graham’s in afternoon.  Made a quilt for the M.F. Relief.   The smoke bad here tonight.

June 1, 1950 – Thursday.  Fine.  Homer and I went in to Truro after supper.I called to see Charlie and Bessie Blaikie.  Bydie called from Saxonville to see if we were safe.

June 2, 1950 – Friday.  A little rain today.  Helped the forest fires.  Homer and I down to the village in afternoon.  At Gordon’s to supper.

June 3, 1950 –  Saturday.  Cloudy.  Rain in the evening.  Baked pies and washed the floors.   Cecil Kent here a while, and then the family came for him.  Homer went to Truro.

June 4, 1950 – Sunday.  A wet day.  Mac came up and took us to church.  Homer got home about 9 p.m.

June 5, 1950 – Monday.  Cooler and windy.  Cleared.  We did a big washing.  Good day to wash.  Was down to the school house and helped quilt a quilt for the Manitoba Flood Relief.

June 6, 1950 – Tuesday.  Fine.  Mary went to truro.  I did my ironing and kept house.  Homer over to the fire.

June 7, 1950 – Wednesday.  Fine.  Got the work done.  Mary came home with us from the play. “The Bride Comes to the Little Red School House”   Got some potatoes planted.

June 8, 1950 – Thursday.  Fine.  Done some cooking.  Baked rolls, cake and peanut butter cookies.   The WMS met with us this evening.  12 members present.

June 9, 1950 – Friday.  Fine.  Homer picked some stones and sowed the turnips.  Finished seeding, I guess.

June 10, 1950 – Saturday.  Pretty hot.  I went down to david’s this morning.  Spent the day.  Homer went to Truro this evening.

June 11, 1950 – Sunday.  Rained most of the day.   Mary went to church at Upper Stewiacke.  Min came home with Homer.  Grant and David came up for her.

June 12, 1950 – Monday.  Cool and windy.  Homer working on the roads.  Done the washing.  I sewed up a lining for a quilt.  Homer and I down to Bill’s in the evening, getting strawberry plants.

June 13, 1950 – Tuesday.  Fine.  Frost some places last night.  Doctor Earle called from Truro about 4:30 to tell Homer  that they had a daughter weighing 9 pounds, 10 ounces.  Both doing well.

June 14, 1950 – Wednesday.  Nice day.  Cool.  Mary washed bedclothes.  Alfred and I hoed the peas.  Homer yarded logs.   Mary went to Institute this evening at Mrs George Deyarmond’s.

June 15, 1950 – Thursday.  Fine.  Homer and the children went to the village this morning.

June 16, 1950 – Friday.  Fine.  I am doing some sewing for Nancy.

June 17, 1950 – Saturday.  Fine.  Rain by evening.   Homer cutting pulpwood today.  I done a little cleaning and baking.  Mary went home.

June 18, 1950 – Sunday.  Cool and windy.  We went to Sunday School and church.  Alfred’s leg quite sore.  The cows got out of the pasture and Homer had a long look for them.

June 19, 1950 – Monday.  Fine.  A good wash day.  Homer, Nancy, Sandy and mary went to truro.  Mac took them in.  Joan and the baby came home from hospital.  Both well.  Leonard called this evening.

June 20, 1950 – Friday.  Homer and I down to a meeting at Springside.  We are planning to get a new minister.  Mr Fraser is going away the latter part of July.

June 21, 1950 – June 22, 1950 – no entries

June 23, 1950 – Friday.  Pretty fine.  Homer, Nancy, Sandy and I went to Truro in the afternoon.  Saw the show  Cinderella.

June 24, 1950 – no entry

June 25, 1950 – Sunday.  Cloudy and cool.  We were home all day.  A dedication service at the church in the evening, and a tablet unveiled in memory of Cecil Crockett.   Alfred and I went down to Gordon’s after the service.

June 26, 1950 – Monday.  Cloudy and cold.  Ester got her washing dried.  They went to a school meeting in the evening.  Alfred mowed some grass.

June 27, 1950 –  Tuesday.  Still cold and dark.   Talked, and went to a meeting at the Cross Roads Hall  of the Official Board of the Upper Stewiacke -Springside church.

June 28, 1950 – Wednesday.  A heavy rain in the afternoon.  We called at Roy Blaikie’s,  was at Morris’ to supper,  and a call at Glenn’s.  A dance in the hall in the evening.

June 29, 1950 – Thursday.  Not very fine.  Alfred and I down to W.D. Kennedy’s in the afternoon and to supper.

June 30, 1950 – Friday.  Clear and sunny.  Finished hoeing the turnips and tore the old garage down.  Priscilla did not get home.  We were all disappointed.

July 1, 1950 – Saturday.  Rain before noon.  Gordon brought us home in the afternoon.  Gwen Osborne and boyfriend  to visit Joan.  Mary went home tonight.  She had been here 3 months.   Jean Smith went on vacation this morning.

July 2, 1950 – Sunday.  A lovely day.  Was at Sunday School and church.  Mr Thompson’s text was…

July 3, 1950 – Monday.  A warm day.  I baked bread.  Washed and got the ironing done.  Cleaned up the rooms.

July 4, 1950 – Tuesday.  Foggy in the morning.  Cleared by noon.  Very warm. Homer and I went to Truro.  Was home by 12:30.

July 5, 1950 – Wednesday.  Cleared and we got some weed out of the garden.   Went to WMS at Gwen MacKay’s. in the evening.  Alfred down to Upper Stewiacke manse to a meeting.

July 6, 1950 – Thursday.  Rain.  Perley and lelia called this morning.  Homer went to Musquodoboit with the Macleod’s to cruise the burnt woods.   Baked date squares and strawberry shortcakes.

July 7, 1950 – Friday.  Dark.  Not so wet.  We pulled some weeds and transplanted a few cabbage and cauliflower.  Homer to Musquodoboit again.

July 8, 1950 – Saturday.  Some finer.  Baked a cake and shortcake.  Went down and got 10 boxes of strawberries from Grant, and put them up.  6 cans and 3 small jars of jam.

July 9, 1950 – Sunday.  Not very fine.  We were to church and  Sunday School.   Perley and Lelia called in the evening.

July 10, 1950 – Monday.  Very cool this morning.  Was hot in the afternoon.  Homer and Alfred was hoeing turnips.  Homer and I went to a meeting in Upper Stewiacke.  Getting a call started for a Minister.

July 11, 1950 – Tueaday.  A nice day.  Did not get much done.  Baked a loaf of bread and pulled some weeds in the garden.  Homer was cutting pulpwood.

July 12, 1950 – Wednesday.  Mr Fraser and Mr William Miller calling today.

July 13, 1950 – Thursday.  Warm.  Put up strawberries and a few gooseberries.   Perley called in the evening.

July 14, 1950 – Thursday.  Foggy . Hot in afternoon.

Juoy 15, 1950 – Friday.  A nice rain in afternoon.  I baked some muffins and made rice.  Alfred was hoeing some and Homer was out to the woods. – Another mistake – a day ahead

July 16, 1950 – Sunday.  Fine and cool.  Was at Sunday School and church.  Homer and Joan had Heather Jean christened.  Thie is Mr Fraser’s last service.   His text – “Choose you this day whom you will serve”.

July 17, 1950 – Monday.  A fine day.  Washed a big washing and baked bread.  Got some gooseberries picked.  Homer mowed some in afternoon.

July 18, 1950 – Tuesday.  Cloudy and warm.  Did not do much.  Had a sore shoulder.  Homer, Joan and children went to the village in the afternoon.   I kept the baby.  Picking gooseberries.

July 19, 1950 – Wednesday.  Cleared.  A fine day.  Homer mowed some more hay.  Ester, Jim, Leon and Lynn came up and spent the day.  Lynn stayed for a few days.

July 20, 1950 – no entry

July 21, 1950 – Friday.  Not a bad hay day.  I was putting gooseberries away.  Went to Springside in the evening to Preparatory service, and a party for Mr and Mrs Calder Fraser.

July 22, 1950 – Saturday.  Showers.  Homer, Joan and children went to Truro in afternoon.  The Millers here in evening.  Lynn went home.   Bydie, Ted, Allie and Patsy came about 12 o’clock. Left home at 2 a.m.

July 23, 1950 – Sunday.  Cool day.  Homer, Bydie, Alfred and I went to church.  Min and Allie came up and had dinner.  Gordon, Ester and all the family here to supper.

July 24, 1950 – Monday.  Not a very good hay day.  Got 3 loads of hay in.  I washed and Bydie and I went down to the village in afternoon.

July 25, 1950 – Tuesday.  Cloudy.  No hay day.  Rained at night.  David Graham and a man here in the evening.  Done my ironing.

July 26, 1950 – Wednesday.  Cleasred this morning.  I baked bread and cookies.  Homer, Joan, Sandy and baby webt to the village.  Bydie went to Musquodoboit with Ted.  They expect to bring Mrs Kennedy home.  She is on a visit there.

July 27, 1950 – Thursday.  Fine.  I did some cooking.  Bydie spent the day in the village.

July 28, 1950 – Friday.  Fine.  Allie, Ted, Patsy and Bydie got here and had dinner with us.  Nancy has a sore arm from her vaccination.   She was miserable today.

July 29, 1950 – Saturday.  Not a very good hay day.  Bydie, Ted, Allie and Patsy left here for USA about 5:30 a.m.  I was sick in afternoon.  Homer and Joan went to the village.

July 30, 1950 – Sunday.  Fine day.  Homer, Sandy and I went to Sunday School and church.  Nancy’s arm some better.

July 31, 1950 – Monday.  Cleared.  Quite warm.  Showers in the night.  I did not do much.  Joan washed and the men were busy.  Moved some straw, and were down and mowed the hay at the cemetery.

August 1, 1950 – August 3, 1950 – no entries

August 4, 1950 – Friday.  Not a hay day.   Grant came up and we went down there.  Min’s birthday.   Had the family there to supper.  Nellie came with Mary and Mac – a surprise.

August 5, 1950 – August 11, 1950 – no entries

August 12, 1950 – Saturday.  Fine.  I have been sick in bed all this week.  The Doctor was here to see me Monday evening.  Got up today some.  Mrs Cecil Kent and Winnie Kent called in the evening.

August 13, 1950 – Sunday.  Fine.  I was up part of the time today.  Gordon, Ester and family were here a while.

August 14, 1950 – Monday.  Pretty fine.  Homer and Joan got 28 cans of peas canned today.  Martin and Elmer bound the hay we had for grass seed.

August 15, 1950 – Tuesday.  Fine.  I baked some brown bread.  I am feeling some better.

August 16, 1950 – Wednesday.  Fine.  Ester came up before dinner and we got 22 cans of beans and 6 cans of beets done. Old Home Picnic at Springside this afternoon.

August 17, 1950 – Thursday.  Fine.  Ester done the washing and ironing.  She went home in the afternoon.

August 18, 1950 – Friday.  A warm day.  Cleaned up my rooms.  We picked some peas to can.

August 19, 1950 – Saturday.  Fine.  We canned 11 cans of peas, and picked 3 buckets of beans for the woods.  Mr Kent called in the evening.

August 20, 1950 – Cloudy.  Nancy, Sandy and I down to Sunday School.  The Millers here a while.  Priscilla stayed.  Min and Grant also here.   Min was at Homer’s.  Grant had supper with us.

August 21, 1950 – Monday.  A big wind and rain storm.  Put the oats down some.  I made a skirt for Joan in the afternoon.

August 22, 1950 – Tuesday.  A calm day after the storm.  Priscilla went home in the mail.  Lawrence was over and helped Homer put the bridge up.  Homer and children down to the village in the p.m.

August 23, 1950 – Wednesday.  A nice day.  Pretty warm.  Alfred picked a lot of peas and we got them shelled.  Roy Blaikie here a few minutes.  Homer put Skippy out of his pain.  Found him unable to get up.

August 24, 1950 – Thursday.  Hot these days.  Canned the peas this afternoon.  Homer helping stook oats at Elmer’s this afternoon.

August 25, 1950 – Friday.  Fine.  Homer, Joan, Nancy and Sandy went to Truro.  Nancy got 3 teeth out.

August 26, 1950 – Saturday.  Fine.  Baked biscuits and brown bread.  Homer and I went to Eastville to Mr and Mrs S.G. Cox’s  60th Wedding Anniversary.  Went to see Marie and her baby too.

August 27, 1950 – Sunday.  Quite a hot day.  Was to Sunday School and church.  Mr L. Marshall preached for us today.  Mac, Mary and Eleanor came up from church and had supper.

August 28, 1950 – Fine.  Not quite so hot.  Joan done a washing.  Picked, shelled and canned 25 cans of peas.  Grant, Eleanor and June were here this afternoon.  A dance in the school house this evening.

August 29, 1950 – Tuesday.  Rain in the morning.  I washed, and they dried enough to iron.  Made a ginger bread.

August 30, 1950 – Wednesday.  Still cloudy and dull.  Did my ironing, baked biscuits.  Alfred and I went to Scott Graham’s and Rhoda Dickie’s wedding at her home in Eastville.  A nice wedding.

August 31, 1950 – Thursday.  Cool and some rain squalls.  Baked rolls.  Got my washing put away.  Homer, Joan, Nancy and Sandy went to the Exhibition this afternoon.  Heather was good.

September 1, 1950 – Friday.  A wet day.  Sewed at some patchwork.  Homer out to the woods in afternoon.

September 2, 1950 – Saturday.  Dark and squally.  A few sunny minutes.  Homer, the children and I were down to the village.  Alfred and I visited Min.  I called at David’s.  Grant brought us home.

September 3, 1950 – Sunday.  Cool.  Finer.  Nancy and I went to Sunday School.  A quiet afternoon.

September 4, 1950 – no entry

September 5, 1950 – Tuesday.  Not fine.  Went to East Mountain with Murray.  We visited Melissa till afternoon.  Went to Truro with Alden in the rain.  Stayed all night at C.A. Blaikie’s.

September 6, 1950 – Wednesday.  Finer.  Over town and did a little bit of business.  Went to Mac Carter’s.  Mary came for us.

September 7, 1950 – Thursday.  Fine day.  Alfred got his eyes tested.

September 8, 1950 – Friday.  Fine.  We were uptown.  Alfred got his glasses and I went to see Doctor Muir.  He said my heart was no worse.

September 9, 1950 – Saturday.  Fine.  Quite warm.  I washed a few things, and we wereuptown a few minutes.  Met May Phillips and talked a while to her.

September 10, 1950 – Sunday.  A cool day.  Alfred and I went to the First Baptist Church in the morning.

September 11, 1950 – Monday.  Not very fine.  Mary drove Alfred and I  out to see Stanley mackay at Union.  Had a good time and our supper.

September 12, 1950 – Tuesday.  Cool and cloudy.  Was shopping a while.  Alfred and I went to a show.  Was not very good.

September 13, 1950 – Wednesday.  Cleared this morning.  Cool.  Watched the 75th Natal day of Truro parade on the verandah of C.A. Blaikie’s.  Went to the T.A.A.C. grounds in the evening.  Cold evening.

September 14, 1950 – Thursday.Fine.  Mary, Alfred and I went down to the Board Landing Bridge and saw the tide come in.  Called on Etta and Leonard.  Came home in the evening with  Seymour and Mildred.

September 15, 1950 – Friday.  A heavy rain with thunder in the forenoon.  Baked brwn bread.  Did not do much.  Sort of lazy.

September 16, 1950 – Saturday.  A heavy shower in the afternoon with thunder and lightning.  Made some tomato preserves, apple sauce and pumpkin pies.

September 17, 1950 – Sunday.  Cool.  Cleared up pretty good.  Nancy, Sandy and I were to Sunday School.  Homer, Joan and the children went to Middle Stewiacke.

September 18, 1950 – Monday.  Fine.  Frost this morning.  I washed some blouses and slips.  Joan done a big washing.  Homer was threshing.  They finished at Elmer’s.

September 19, 1950 – September 21, 1950 – no entries.

September 22, 1950 – Friday.  Fine.  Thresher at Grant’s.  Alfred and I went down to Gordon’s in evening.  They were all away to a party for Jean Smith.

September 23, 1950 – Saturday.  Wet day.  Cold.  Gordon, Ester and Mrs Betts got away about 9 a.m. on a trip to P.E.I.  We got along good today.

September 24, 1950 – Sunday.  Cold and windy.  The boys went to Sunday School.  Jean got away about 3 p.m.  Priscilla anf Jim  –?—–   came up from Halifax on a motorcycle.

September 25, 1950 – Monday.  Cloudy and cold.  The boys to school.  We had a quiet day.  Mrs Luther miller called.  Also Bev.

September 26, 1950 – Tuesday.  Cloudy and hazy.  I did some baking.  Gordon and Ester home about 7 p.m.  They had a good trip.

September 27, 1950 – Wednesday.  Not very fine.  Overcast.  Gordon dug his potatoes.  Ester went with Ritchie and Myrtle picking cranberries.  Got a nice lot.

September 28, 1950 – Thursday.  Finer.  Ester washed this morning and Alfred and I were down to W.D. Kennedy’s in the evening.

September 29, 1950 – Friday.  Smoky, I guess.  Done some mending, and finished binding a quilt and baked a cake.  Came home in the evening.

September 30, 1950 – Saturday.  Hazy and cloudy.   I baked bread, gingerbread, cookies and 2 pies. Word came this morning that Leonard had passed away. Homer and Joan went to the village in the evening.

October 1, 1950 – Sunday.  A nice fine day.  Alfred and I went down to Mart’s in the p.m.  I went for a walk with the children.

October 2, 1950 – Monday.  A beautiful day.  Homer, Alfred and I went to Springside to Leonard Johnson’s funeral.A large funeral.   He was 86 years old.

October 3, 1950 – Tuesday.  Nice fine warm day.  I did a washing, cooked grapes to make jelly.  Homer finished sawing up his pulpwood.

October 4, 1950 – Wednesday.  Fine.  Cold by evening.  Ironed my clothes and made grape jelly.  Went to WMS meeting at Mrs Murray Graham’s.

October 5, 1950 – Thursday.  Fine.  A cold morning.  I went down to the school house and helped quilt 2 quilts for the Mission Box.  Was at Bill’s for supper.

October 6, 1950 – Friday.  Fine day.  I baked bread and rolls.  Homer and Alfred digging potatoes.

October 7, 1950 – Saturday.  fine.  Homer, Joan and children went to Truro and had some dentist work done.  Heather was home with us.  Homer took Cecil Barbour to Truro in the afternoon.

October 8, 1950 – Sunday.  Fine day.  Homer, Joan and the children went to Middle Stewiacke.  Stanley, Janie, Ross Mackay  Helen McNutt and her girl were here to dinner.

October 9, 1950 – Monday.  A nice warm day.  Almost hot.  I did some sewing and the men finished the potatoes.  Did not have many potaotes this year.

October 10, 1950 – Tuesday.  Fine.  I did a bit of cleaning.

October 11, 1950 – Wednesday.  A dark day.  Some rain.  Joan went to Otterbrook to the Institute meeting.

October 12, 1950 – Thursday.  Fine.  I did some cooking today.  Having Ladies Aid tomorrow.

October 13, 1950 – Friday.  Fine.  Got the pies and rolls made and the place fixed up.  Had a good Aid.  22 had supper.  Got along all right.

October 14, 1950 – Saturday.  Fine.  Alfred and I went down to Grant’s in the afternoon with the Kent’s.  Mary was out.  She went back to Truro after supper.  Went to a Brush Party in Pembroke.

October 15, 1950 – Sunday.  A cold blowy day.  Alfred and I down to David’s a while in the afternoon.  Came home in the evening.   Allen Deyarmond took sick on the way home from USA.  He is in Truro.

October 16, 1950 – Monday.  Fine.  Alfred and I both not very good.  Have some stomach flu.   Joan got her washing done.  Homer was putting out manure.

October 17, 1950 – Tuesday.  Fine.  Both improved this morning. I did some sewing.  Alfred and Homer pulling turnips in the afternoon.  Some rain about sundown.

October 18, 1950 – Wednesday.  A cold wind, but fine.  Homer and Roy went to Saltsprings to an Auction Sale.  Alfred was pulling turnips.  I was making jelly and pumpkin preserves.  Allen Deyarmond able to come home today.

October 19, 1950 – Thursday.  Cloudy.  Alfred and I went to Bev’s in the mail and spent the day.  Neil brought us home in the evening.

October 20, 1950 – Friday.  Not very fine.  The men finished pulling turnips.

October 21, 1950 – Saturday.   Homer and the children went to the village.  I did some cooking.  Baked bread, cookies, pies and date loaf.

October 22  Sunday.  Snow.  The ground quite white.  We started for church.  At the gate at Mart’s, a tire was flat.  So, too late to go when it was fixed.

October 23, 1950 – Monday.  Sunny in the morning.  Cloudy in afternoon.  Washed .  Clothes did not dry much.  Farm Forum here in the evening.  Just 3 here.  Snow falling in the evening.

October 24, 1950 – Tuesday.  Not very fine.  Put clothes out again and they dried some more.  Got them all ironed.

October 25, 1950 – Wednesday.  Dark and cloudy.  Rain by evening. Hauling in turnips in afternoon.  Dug some at thedrain for the water pipe.

October 26, 1950 – Thursday.  Cold but fine.  Put the turnips in.  Did not have a very big crop.

October 27, 1950 – Friday.  A cold wind.  The men finished digging and Lester came and done some work at setting up the electric pump.  I did some sewing.

October 28, 1950 – Saturday.  A mild day.  I cleaned up the house and baked some biscuits.  Alfred dug the parsnips.  The last of this year’s crop.

October 29, 1950 – Sunday.  A nice mild day.  Homer took Joan in to the hospital this evening.  Mary has a bad cold so could not come.  We will try to do it ourselves.

October 30, 1950 – Monday.  Cloudy.  Thunder showers in afternoon and evening.  Got the work done.  Lester Deyarmond here and we got our pump installed and running water in both sinks.  Joan had her operation and her condition is good.

October 31, 1950 – Tuesday.  Finer.  I washed and the clothes dried fair.  Homer went to Truro in the afternoon.  Joan is coming along well.

November 1, 1950 – Wednesday.  Not very fine.  I washed the baby’s clothes.  Elmer came home from the hospital.  He had been having x-rays this week.

November 2, 1950 – Thursday.  Baked bread and made a gingerbread.  Homer was plowing.

November 3, 1950 – Friday.  Dull days.  Homer fixed some windows and went tothe village and to Truro in the afternoon.  Joan is doing as well as can be expected.  Made doughnuts.

November 4, 1950 – Saturday.  Cloudy.  Rain in the evening.  Washed for Heather.  Baked 3 pies and some Chinese Chews.  Alfred mopped the kitchen floor.  Homer was plowing.

November 5, 1950 – Sunday.  A windy, very mild day.  Rain in evening.  Homer went down for Mary in the evening.

November 6, 1950 – Monday.  Cloudy day.  Mary washed.  Did not dry very good.  Cecil Kent and son here on a call.  Jim Fulton collecting electric light bills.  Cecil Barbour in for a few minutes.

November 7, 1950 – Tuesday.  Fine.  Alfred went down to visit Min, and went to Truro with them.  Min did not come back and Alfred stayed with Grant.

November 8, 1950 – Wednesday.  A beautiful day.  I did not do much. Alfred did not get home.  Institute at Vada’s.  Homer plowing.

November 9, 1950 – Thursday.  Fine.  Homer went to Truro and Joan came home from the hospital.  She was tired.  Aubrey went for her.

November 10, 1950 – Friday.  Fine.  I guess I did not do much.  Baked rolls.

November 11, 1950 – Saturday.  Another fine day.  I went down to Grant’s and did some baking and we cleaned up the house some.   Grant brought Alfred and I home.

November 12, 1950 – Sunday.  Fine.  We went to church in the forenoon in Burnside.  Mr Matheson, our new minister, preached.  We were to Upper Stewiacke for the unveiling of the Memorial Window.  Went with Mac.

November 13, 1950 – Monday.  Cold morning.  A fine day.  Washed the bedroom curtains and mixed bread.   Homer went to Berry Hill for the two heifers.   I went down and visited Ester.  Mrs Miller is quite sick.

November 14, 1950 -November 16, 1950 – no entries

November 17, 1950 – Friday.  A nice day.  Alfred and I cleaned our room.  Gordon came up for us to go down there for tomorrow.

November 18, 1950 – Saturday.  Mild day.  Gordon, Ester and the boys went to Truro.  Alfred and I kept house.  Mr David Miller called.  Gordon and I down to the store in the evening.

November 19, 1950 – Sunday.  A cloudy cold day.  Mrs Kennedy was down to call on Mrs Miller.   Ester, Gordon, Jim and I went to church in the evening.   Mr Matheson’s text was  “Be still and know that I am God”.

November 20, 1950 – Monday.  A white frost and fog.  Clothes did not dry till after dark. Ester washed and baked bread.

November 21, 1950 – Tuesday. A mild day, and a big wind in the evening.  Gordon brought us home in the evening.  The lights went out.

November 22, 1950 – Wednesday.  Cooler today.  Cloudy.  Put up the curtains.  Baked a pie, bread, and muffins.   Jane Graham MacMasters funeral at Folly Lake today.

November 23, 1950 – Thursday.  A fine day.  Alfred was sawing wood.

November 24, 1950 – Friday.  Colder today.  Homer, Joan, Sandy and I went to Truro.  I did some shopping .  Was at Mr Boutlier’s to supper.

November 25, 1950 – Saturday.  Cloudy.  Alfred went down to visit Min.  I cleaned the cupboard, baked biscuits, a pie and a cake.  Mary went home tonight.

November 26, 1950 – Sunday.  A strong wind.  Alfred, Homer, Sandy and I went to church.  Not many out. Mr Matheson’s text was “Command the people to go forward”.

November 27, 1950 – Monday.  Windy day.  Got the washing done.  The clothes dried very good and got them ironed.  Homer and I went to Farm Forum at Murray Graham’s.

November 28, 1950 – Tuesday.  A windy wet day.  Baked bread for Joan.  Got some sewing done in the afternoon.  Roy and Vada here in the evening.

November 29, 1950 – Wednesday.  Rained hard.  The brooks high.  Was sewing and knitting.

November 30, 1950 – Thursday.  Not so wet.  Homer went to the village and Dean.  Homer, Sandy and I went to Aid at Mrs Cyrus Graham’s.

December 1, 1950 – Friday.  Finer and mild.  Homer done some fixing up about the barn and house.  I got my Christmas Fruitcake baked today.

December 2, 1950 – Saturday.  Colder.  Baked brown bread.  Got a pair of socks finished and a cushion.  Homer went to the village with the mail.

December 3, 1950 – Sunday.  Fine.  Cloudy in afternoon.  At home all day.  The children have some colds.  Alfred and I went for a walk in the afternoon.

December 4, 1950 – Monday.  Very foggy.  We washed but did not put the clothes out.

December 5, 1950 – Tuesday.  Windy.  Rain in afternoon.  Got the clothes pretty dry and ironed.

December 6, 1950 – Wednesday.  Mild weather.  Went to WMS last evening at Mrs George Deyarmond’s.

December 7, 1950 – Thursday.  A cold wind.  I went to the village with Homer.  He drove the mail.   A school meeting at the school house in evening.

December 8, 1950 – Friday.  Not so cold.  Baked bread.

December 9, 1950 – Saturday.  Alfred, Sandy and Nancy went to the woods with Homer in afternoon.   Jim Fulton here today.  Got the floor varnished this week.

December 10, 1950 – Sunday.A wet day.  Alfred, Homer and I went to church.  Nancy not very well today.  Had an earache.

December 11, 1950 – Monday.  A wet day.  Joan not well.  Nancy miserable with her ear.   Homer went to the village in the afternoon.  I did not get much done.

December 12, 1950 – Tuesday.  A wet dark day.  Done the baby washing but did not put it out.  Joan is some better.  Was up a while tonight.

December 13, 1950 – Wednesday.  Rain in the forenoon.  Not so bad in afternoon.  Alfred, Homer and Nancy went down to the village.   Nancy’s ear is discharging.  The Doctor was not home.

December 14, 1950 – Thursday.  Pretty fine.  Alfred and I washed and they dried fair.   Homer, Joan and the children went to the village.  Nancy got a shot of Penicillun.  Rev Mr Matheson called today.

December 15, 1950 – Friday.  Cloudy.  Soft snow.  Homer, Nancy and I went to the village.  Nancy was to the Doctor again.   We were to Earl Archibald’s and Homer was to Harold’s.

December 16, 1950 – Saturday.  Not fine.  Cleaned up the house.  Made rolls and cookies.

December 17, 1950 – Sunday.Some snow.  Homer, Alfred and I went to Springside tochurch.  At Min’s to dinner and had our Candle Light Service there in afternoon.  Grant brought us home.

December 18, 1950 – Monday.  Cloudy.  A bad storm tonight.  Homer, Joan, Nancy and Sandy started but turned back – going to Christmas School Entertainment.  Thomas Fisher died very suddenly.   Nancy to Doctor and had her 3rd shot of Penicillun.

December 19, 1950 – Tuesday.  Dull.  Cleared some.  Not a very heavy  fall of snow.  The Vet was here to test the young cattle.  Got stuck on the hill.   Christmas Concert at school.  Nancy down to the Doctor again.

December 20, 1950 – Wednesday.  A nice day.  Busy sewing and getting some things done.  Put up Christmas decorations.

December 21, 1950 – Thursday.  Quite fine.  Homer and Alfred went to Mr Thomas Fisher’s funeral at Springside.  Received a lot of cards today.

December 22, 1950 – Friday.  Fine in morning.  Cloudy with snow.  Homer getting more wood home.  I was knitting and sewing.  Vet was here again.  The cattle are all right.

December 23, 1950 – Saturday.  Fine.  Done some cleaning.  Homer took Nancy back to the Doctor.  She was pretty bad.  Her temperature was away up.

December 24, 1950 – Sunday.  A pretty nice day.  We went to church.  Roy came for us.  Homer took Nancy to the Doctor.  She is much better.   Alfred and I went down to Gordon’s in the evening.  He came for us.

December 25, 1950 – Monday.  Some thunder and lightning early in the morning.  Bad in Burnside.  Had a nice day with the Millers.   Came home with the Doctor in the evening.  Joan had a bad ear.

December 26, 1950 – Tuesday.  Quite a nice day.  We did the baby’s washing.  Cold putting them out.  Joan some better.  Homer not feeling very well tonight.

December 27, 1950 – Wednesday.  A cold day.  A busy day.  Homer and Joan both sick with flu.  The Doctor here in the evening.  Homer’s temperature 102.   The Watkins man here to supper.

December 28, 1950 – Thursday.  A cold morning.  Milder in afternoon.  Homer is some better.  Joan up around in afternoon.  Percy and Lawrence watered the horses and bull for Alfred.

December 29, 1950 – Friday.  Mild.  Quite soft this morning.  Washed and the clothes dried some.   Homer feeling some better.  Up for his dinner and supper.   Lawrence and Percy called on their way home.

December 30, 1950 – Saturday.  Mild.  A big rain in the night.  Snow and ice almost gone.  Baked bread and pies.  Homer and Joan better today.

December 31, 1950 – Sunday.  Dark, cloudy.  Snow in afternoon.  At home all day.  Lawrence and Geraldine here for a while in forenoon.  End of another 5 year diary.

1934 1935 1936 1937 1938 1939 1940 1941 1942 1943
1944 1945 1946 1947 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953
1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963