The Journals of Annabelle Johnson 1940

The Journals of
Annabelle Johnson

1940January 1, 1940 –

Monday.  Snowy morning.  Alfred and Homer hauling wood.  I done some reading and started a pair of socks for the Red Cross.January 2, 1940 – Tuesday.  Fine.  Quite cold.  I washed and the clothes dried pretty good.  Homer and Alfred finished hauling the wood that was cut.January 3, 1940 –  Wednesday.  Snowy day.  Aid at Mrs Cy’s, but I did not go.   The men were cutting logs.  I done the ironing and got the meals.

January 4, 1940 – Thursday – Fine.  Quite a lot of snow.  Elmer took the mail with the horse to E. B. Deyarmond’s this morning.  Baked bread, also a cake.

January 5, 1940 – Friday.  Fine.  I churned, and baked date squares,  and knit.  Alfred filed the saw, and done some other chores in the morning.  In the woods in afternoon.

January 6, 1940 – Saturday.  Cloudy and snow flurries.  Done some cleaning.  Went to the village in the afternoon in the car.  Got along good.

January 7, 1940 – Sunday.  Cold blustery day.  Was to church.  David went back after church.

January 8, 1940 – Cold morning.  Fine.  I washed,  and the clothes dreid.  Alfred and Homer in the woods.  I baked pumpkin and Mince pies.

January 9 – Tuesday.  Fine.  I ironed the clothes.  David Hutchinson came over today.  He walked from D.F. Creelman’s.

January 10 – Wednesday.  A nice fine day.  Cold.  I baked cookies, a gingerbread,  and a bran loaf.  Also churned.  The men worked in the woods.

January 11, 1940 – Thursday.  Fine.  I peeled apples for sauce.  Done some mending and knitting.  The men were cutting logs.

January 12, 1940 – Friday.  Fine.  I baked bread.  I am doing some mending and knitting.

January 13, 1940 – Saturday.  Fine.  The boys are hauling logs tothe brook.  I done some cleaning, and baked biscuits, washington pies, and doughnuts.

January 14, 1940 – Sunday.  Fine.  No church here today.  We heard 3 sermons over the radio.

January 15, 1940 – Monday.  Fine.  It stormed in the evening – froze as it fell.  I washed,  and cleaned up the kitchen.

January 16, 1940 – Tuesday.  Soft day.  The boys were hauling logs.  I churned and done the ironing.  Alfred was cutting some wood.

January 17, 1940 – Wednesday.  Fine.  A cold morning.  We cut 3 inches off the table this morning.  This is Byron’s birthday – he is 33 years old.  It is 6 years today since I arrived in Boston, USA.

January 18, 1940 – Thursday.  Fine.  Homer and David went to the village in the car.  They had to haul the car from the foot of the hill.  I was sewing.

January 19, 1940 – Friday.  Fine.  Snowed some in the afternoon.  I baked pies,  and washed the pantry floor.  Men cutting logs today.

January 20, 1940 – Saturday.  Fine.  Baked bread and rolls,  and done the cleaning.  The men were cutting logs.

January 21, 1940 – Sunday.  Cold morning.  12 below zero.  We were down to church.

January 22, 1940 – Monday.  Fine.  Washed,  and the clothes dried pretty good.  Churned.  Had 7 pounds of butter.  Mrs Sam Johnson of Newton Mlls died early this morning.

January 23, 1940 – Tuesday – A blustery, cold day.  The boys were hauling logs in the afternoon.  I done the ironing, and started a dalhia square for a quilt.

January 24, 1940 – Wednesday.  Fine.  Mrs Johnson’s funeral this afternoon.

January 25, 1940 – Thursday.  A little more snow.  Mrs MacKinnon, the teacher, here to supper.  Mr Marshall is very sick.  He had a stroke at the funeral service yesterday.

January 26, 1940 – Friday.  Fine.  Swept and cleaned upstairs.  Baked pies.

January 27, 1940 – Saturday.  Nice day.  Baked bread and rolls.  made pickles.  Alfred and I went down to Lower Burnside.  At David’s to supper.  At Grant’s all night.

January 28, 1940 – Sunday.  Fine.  Colder this evening.  Was at Grant’s.  We came home in the afternoon.  Mr Marshall is improving.

January 29, 1940 – Monday.  Cloudy and snow in the air.  I washed.  The clothes dried some.  I baked doughnuts and washed the kitchen floor.

January 30, 1940 – Tuesday.  Fine and mild.  I churned this morning,  and did the ironing in the afternoon.  Homer and David hauling logs.

January 31, 1940 – Wednesday.  Fine.  I scoured the discs of the separator and did some cooking.  Alfred was down to Mart’s and Geordie’s in the afternoon.

February 1, 1940 – Thursday.  Fine.  The boys finished hauling the logs they had cut.  I done some mending, reading, and knitting.

February 2, 1940 – Friday.  Fine.  Swept upstairs.  Baked biscuit and made a square of patchwork.

February 3, 1940 – Saturday.  Done the cleaning,  baked two washington pies,  and brown bread.

February 4, 1940 – Sunday.  Cold day.  We went to church.      Mr Manuel preached.  His text was “What will I do with Jesus who is called Christ”.

February 5, 1940 – Monday.  Fine.  Clothes dried good.  Washed the floors,  and got the meals.

February 6, 1940 – Tuesday.  Fine.  I done the ironing and baked white cookies and ginger snaps.

February 7, 1940 – Wednesday.  A dirty day.  The men were in the woods all day.  I baked bread and churned.

February 8, 1940 – Thursday.  Fine.  Alfred went down with the eggs to David’s in the morning.  I am knitting at my third pair of socks for the Red Cross.

February 9, 1940 – Friday.  Stormy.  Snow and wind.  The men did not go to the woods after dinner.  I baked pies and done some writing.

February 10, 1940 – Saturday.  Fine.  I worked some at a jacket I am making for Alfred.

February 11, 1940 – Sunday.  Rained most of the day,  so everybody stayed quiet. David Crockett called from Allen’s in the afternoon.

February 12, 1940 – Monday.  Fine.  Homer and David hauling logs.  I washed and the clothes dried good.  There was a cold wind.  I washed the floor in the afternoon.

February 13, 1940 – Tuesday.  Fine.  The men were in the woods.  I done the ironing and some mending.

February 14, 1940 – Wednesday.  Cold days.  I am knitting and reading some.

February 15, 1940 – Thursday.  I baked bread and churned.  A cold raw wind blowing.   Homer went to the village with David  Graham in the afternoon.

February 16, 1940 – Friday.  Cloudy.  Not much storm here – bad in some places.  I baked cookies,  squares, and pies.  The men finished the brow they were working on.

February 17, 1940 – Saturday.  A dirty day – soft snow.  I done some sweeping and dusting.  Baked gingerbread and a date loaf.

February 18, 1940 – Sunday.  Fine.  Went to church in the afternoon.   Mr Marshall of Brookfield preached on the fifth commandment.

February 19, 1940 – Monday.  Fine.  I washed and the clothes dried fine.  I washed the kitchen floor too.

February 20, 1940, 1940 – Tuesday.  Cloudy.  Stormed some by night.  I done the ironing and some mending.

February 21, 1940 – Wednesday.  Snowing.  The men worked all day.  I done some more mending.  Baked jelly-roll and date squares.

February 22, 1940 – Thursday.  Still snowing and blowing.

February 23, 1940 – Friday.  Nice fine day.  Baked bread and gingerbread.  Made a square of patchwork.

February 24, 1940 – Saturday.  Fine.  Done some cleaning and baked rolls    and a cake.  The boys hauling logs to the brook.

February 25, 1940 – Sunday.  Snowed in the afternoon and evening.  Homer and David went down to Grant’s in the afternoon. Gordon came up in the evening.

February 26, 1940 – Monday.  Blustery day.  I washed but did not put the clothes out.  Alfred was hauling logs with the two old mares in the afternoon.

February 27, 1940 – Tuesday.  Snow,  and blowed hard.  The men did not go to the woods in the forenoon.

February 28, 1940 – Wednesday.  Fine.  Got the clothes dried and ironed.  Baked doughnuts.  J.W. Deyarmond is sick, and sinking every day.

February 29, 1940 – Fine.  The men in the woods.  I baked pies and cookies.

March 1, 1940 – Friday.  Fine.  The men in the woods.  Baked bread and a cake.  I churned and had 5 pounds of butter.

March 2, 1940 – Saturday.  An awful cold windy day.   The men finished getting the logs in today.  David and Gordon went home after dinner.

March 3, 1940 – Sunday.  Cold and windy.  We were down to church.  Doctor Cock, a returned Missionary from India, spoke today.

March 4, 1940 – Monday.  Washed.  The clothes dried pretty good.  Homer hauled a load of wood and a load of logs.  Cleaned up the brow.

March 5, 1940 – Tuesday.  Dirty day.  The men went to the woods but did not stay long.

March 6, 1940 – Wednesday.  Dirty day.  Was in the woods in the afternoon.

March 7, 1940 – Thursday.  A soft snow today.  Homer got the axle out of the car.  It is broken.  I was working at my scrapbook.

March 8, 1940 – Friday.  The men yarded the logs they had cut,  but the woods was wet.  I put some more pieces in my scrapbook.

March 9 – Saturday.  A wet day.  Rained all day.  Baked bread and rolls and made doughnuts.  David came home in the evening.  He has a bad cold.

March 10 – Sunday.  Still thawing some.  Snow pretty soft.  J.W. Deyarmond passed away this p.m.  David went to Eastville in the evening.

March 11, 1940 –  Monday.  Cloudy and some snow flurries.  I washed, but the clothes did not dry much.  Homer down working at the roads and shovelling.

March 12, 1940 – Tuesday.  Fine.  Churned this morning.  J.W. Deyarmond’s funeral in the church at 2:30 p.m.

March 13, 1940 – Wednesday.  Homer went to Stewiacke and Truro with David.  Got the radio fixed,  and an axle for the car.

March 14, 1940

March 15, 1940 – This was  two stormy days.  Did not do much in the woods this week.  I put a mat in.  Did not get much done at it.

March 16, 1940 – Saturday.  Wet forenoon.  Alfred and I went down to the village with Martin.  Stayed all night at Gordon’s.

March 17, 1940 – Sunday.  Fine.  Went to church with Gordon and Priscilla.  At W.D. Kennedy’s to dinner.  Gordon brought us to the Burnside church in afternoon.

March 18, 1940 – Monday . Fine.  Washed in the morning.  The clothes dried good.  Went down to Bill’s after dinner.  Called at Ervin’s, Willie’s,  and Geordie’s.

March 19, 1940 – Tuesday.  Churned,  baked bread,  and washed the floor.  Mrs Lyman Hamilton’s funeral yesterday afternoon.  She died Saturday evening.

March 20, 1940 – Wednesday.  Fine.  I done some baking.  I cleaned, and pressed Homer’s clothes.

March 21, 1940 – Thursday.  Rained in forenoon.  It cleared and the sun shone in the afternoon.  Homer went to Truro,  starting for Boston in the morning.

March 22, 1940 – Friday.  Good Friday.  Fine in the morning, but some wind.  Hooked some at my mat today.

March 23, 1940 – Saturday.  Cold and windy.  Churned and made doughnuts and custard.

March 24, 1940 – Sunday.  Easter.  Cold windy day.  Some snow squalls.  Alfred and I alone.  We read and listened to the radio.

March 25, 1940 – Monday.  Still windy.  Not so bad as yesterday.  Washed and ironed,  and washed the floor.

March 26, 1940 – Tuesday.  Cold and some more snow.  I took letters down before breakfast.  Went to the Election with Willie.  Made some calls too.

March 27, 1940 – Fine.  The MacKenzie King Government was returned to power with 177 seats.  Had a card from Homer yesterday.  He arrived in USA safe on Saturday.

March 28, 1940 – Thursday.  Fine.  Done a little cooking and hooked at the mat.  Alfred is painting at the kitchen.  Martin up a few minutes.

March 29, 1940 – Friday.  Churned and got some hooking done.  Alfred painted.

March 30, 1940 – Saturday.  Baked bread, biscuit and two washington pies.  Alfred done some more painting.

March 31, 1940 – Sunday.  Wet day.  Rained all last night.  We did not go to church.  Elwood is pretty sick.

April 1, 1940 – Monday.  Cleared and the snow went some.  I hooked at my mat,  and Alfred painted.  He finished the door and window casings.

April 2, 1940 – Tuesday.  Fine.  Colder.  Washed the floor, and Alfred put a coat of varnish on it in the afternoon.  David called up.  They are finishing tomorrow.

April 3, 1940 –  Wednesday.  Fine day.  I took my mat out and we finished painting the floor.

April 4, 1940 – Thursday.  Fine.  Churned and done some sweeping and dusting.  Alfred and I went down to Bill’s in the afternoon. Took the turkeys.

April 5, 1940 – Friday.  Dirty day.   Got some pies made,  and cookies.  Alfred went down for the turkeys.  Homer got home from USA.

April 6, 1940 – Saturday.  Squally in afternoon.  Homer took the car down the hill.  He got stuck getting back.   Norman MacKay and Alice D. Graham married.

April 7, 1940 – Sunday.  Cold windy day.   Gordon,  Ester,  Priscilla and Jim up today. Went to church in afternoon.  David came home today.

April 8, 1940 – Monday.  Fine.  Homer and I went to the village.  Good going.  Called at Ester’s, Andrew’s,  and Austin McCoul’s.  Home to dinner.

April 9, 1940 – Tuesday.  Washed and had the clothes out an hour, and it rained,  so I got them in.

April 10, 1940 – Wednesday.  Rained hard in the forenoon.  David went on the Drive this morning – rolling in logs at Geordie’s.  I done the ironing.

April 11, 1940 – Thursday.  A lovely fine day.  I was patching and darning.  Alfred down to Mart’s a while.

April 12, 1940 – Friday.  Not so fine.  Chilly.  I was mending some more today,  and done some sweeping.  The boys on the brook.  Reception for Norman and Alice.

April 13, 1940 – Windy all day.  Rained in the evening.   Baked brown bread, ginger snaps, a cake,  and biscuits. Homer and David sawing wood at Willie’s.

April 14, 1940 – Sunday.  Quite cold this morning.  No church today.

April 15, 1940 – Monday.  Fine.  Done the washing and ironing.  Alfred down to Mart’s a while.  Sawing wood there today.

April 16, 1940 – Tuesday.  A very fine day.  The wood – saw here.  Finished by dinner time.  Homer went to Pembroke,  and David was driving.

April 17, 1940 – Wednesday.  Cloudy.  The boys on the brook.  Alfred was slpitting wood.  I washed and waxed the kitchen floor.

April 18, 1940 – Thursday.  Alfred and I went down to see Min.  Called at David’s a while.

April 19, 1940 – Friday.  Rained some in the morning.   Alfred splitting wood.  Homer and David driving.

April 20, 1940 – Saturday.  Fine.  Swept upstairs and cleaned the room and bedroom.  Baked bread and doughnuts.

April 21, 1940 – Sunday.  Snowed most of the day. We went to church.  Mr Vesey preached today.  Billie Miller brought him up.

April 22, 1940 – Monday.  Snow, hail, and wind storm.  Hemmed a mat bottom and sewed it in.

April 23, 1940 – Tuesday.  Still storming.  The men split wood a while in the afternoon.  I worked at my mat.

April 24, 1940 – Wednesday.  Cleaned today.  A big storm , 8, 1940 – 10 inches of snow. I washed, churned, and ironed.  David went to the drive.  They moved to Cross Roads.

April 25, 1940 – Thursday.  Pretty cold.  Homer went on the brook.  Alfred split wood,  and I hooked some at my mat.

April 26, 1940 – Friday.  Fine.  Homer came home in the morning.  He hurt his big toe yesterday.  We went to Aid at Allen’s,  and to Preparatory Service in the evening.

April 27, 1940 – Saturday.  Fine.  Baked bread.  Homer and Martin went to the village in the afternoon. A lot of snow on our road yet.

April 28, 1940 – Sunday.  Fine.  We went to Communion at Springside.  Mr Palthrope preached.  Was at Cyrus’ to dinner.

April 29, 1940 – Monday.  Washed and ironed today.  Homer down fixing the road at Jack’s Brook bridge.

April 30, 1940 – Tuesday.  Fine.  We went to Truro to Pearl’s funeral.  Geordie’s went with us.  Called at Charlie Blaikie’s,  and Perley Lorraine’s.

May 1, 1940 – Wednesday.  Fine.  Den,  Duncan,  Donald,  and Clarence called.  Homer to the blacksmith shop.  We set the young turkey.

May 2, 1940 – Thursday.  Cloudy and warm.  Homer had the team on the road  machine..  Roy and Edwin Blaikie here to supper.  Hooked some.

May 3, 1940 – Friday.  Warm and cloudy.  Homer dragged our road, and picked off the stones.  Alfred splitting wood.    Pay day at Cross Roads.

May 4, 1940 – Saturday.  A nice warm rain.  Finished the wood pile.  I done some cleaning,  baked a cake and four pies.

May 5, 1940 – Sunday.  Fine and warm.  The grass is getting green.  Gordon, Ester and the children up today.   We were to church and Sunday School.

May 6, 1940 – Monday.  Cleared,  and the clothes dried.  Homer and I over to Musquodoboit in the afternoon.

May 7, 1940 – Tuesday.  Fine in the morning,  and showers in the p.m.  I done some cooking and the ironing.  Homer got some oats crushed.

May 8, 1940 – Wednesday.  A squally day.  Aid here.  Seventeen to dinner.

May 9, 1940 – Thursday.  Fine.  Baked bread.  Down to Grant’s in the evening.  Called at David’s.   Homer and David got the oats cleaned.

May 10, 1940 – Friday.  A cold windy day.  We went to Tom Foster’s auction.  Were at Gordon’s to supper.  Got 50 chickens from Curtis Johnson.

May 11, 1940 – Saturday.  Fine.  Homer went to Truro to meet Ivan Hamilton.  David and Alfred picked stones. Got a card and $1.00 from Byron.

May 12, 1940 – Sunday.  Mother’s Day.   Fine in the morning.  Rained by night.  We were to church in Springside and Burnside.  Mr and Mrs Parker here to dinner.  Homer got me a plant.

May 13, 1940 – Monday.  A wet day.  I washed but did not put them out.  I cleaned the big cupboard.  Homer and David went to Truro.

May 14, 1940 – May 18, 1940 – no entries

May 19, 1940 – Sunday.  A cold windy day.  Rev J A MacKean preached today.  A good many out to Sunday School too.

May 20, 1940 – May 21, 1940 – no entries

May 22, 1940 – Wednesday.  Papered the bedroom.  Have been cleaning house this last  week, and did not write my journal.

May 23, 1940 – Thursday.  Was papering the room.  Went to the village after supper.  Priscilla came home with us.

May 24, 1940 – Friday.  A cold wind.  Finished papering and got the rooms straightened up.  Laura over this afternoon.

May 25, 1940 – Saturday.  Cleaned up the kitchen.  Baked a cake and biscuits,  and made doughnuts.  Got some oats sowed, and the peas and mangles planted.

May 26, 1940 – Sunday.  Fine.  Was to church and Sunday School.  The minister did not arrive.  Ester, Gordon and Jim came up.  Priscilla went home.

May 27, 1940 – Monday.  Fine and warm.  Washed and swept the old house.  Homer went to Truro for a part for the seeder.

May 28, 1940 – Tuesday.  Wet and cold.  Butchered the pig this morning.  I churned and got the ironing done.

May 29, 1940 – Wednesday.  Fine.  Cold wind.  I ironed the curtains.  Alfred cut up the prok.  Down to David’s and Grant’s in the evening.  We have 19 turkeys.

May 30, 1940 – Thursday.  Fine.  Warmer today.  Homer finished sowing oats this morning.  David went to Grant’s.  I got the curtains up and the hall cleaned.

May 31, 1940 – Friday.  Fine.  Made pickle for the meat,  boiled the head, and put meat in bottles to can.  Bill and Helen up in the evening.

June 1, 1940 – Saturday.  Cloudy.  Rained in afternoon.  Planted potatoes till the rain came.  Baked bread, rolls, cookies, date squares and pies.

June 2, 1940 – Sunday.  Cleared off nice and warm.  Was to Sunday School and church.  Mr Tupper from Shubenacadie preached.  “Our Isles of Ratmos(sic)” was his subject.

June 3, 1940 – Monday.  Fine and warm.  Washed,  Made potted-head.  The men finished planting potatoes.  They set strawberry plants in the afternoon.

June 4, 1940 – Tuesday.  Fine.  Done the ironing and we went to the village in the evening.  Made some calls and had a check-up at the Doctor’s.

June 5, 1940 – Wednesday.  Cloudy.  Got some flower beds fixed up,  and finished the garden planting.  Homer down sowing for Bill.

June 6, 1940 – Thursday.  Thunder showers.  I done a little sewing and some cooking.  Too wet to work on the land.

June 7, 1940 – Friday.  Stilldark.

June 8, 1940 – Saturday.  Done some cleaning and cooking.  The ground too wet to do much yet.

June 9, 1940 – Sunday.  A wet day.  Did not have Sunday School.

June 10, 1940  – Fine. Baked bread.  Washed,  and got the ironing done.  Got the turnips planted today.

June 11, 1940 – Tuesday.  Fine.  Homer and I went down to Springside and helped clean the manse.  Called at David’s on the way home.

June 12, 1940 – Wednesday.  Fine day.  A Field Day for the Stewiacke Valley schools.  Homer took the teacher and scholars.  Mrs Grant Cox visiting us today.

June 13, 1940 – Thursday.  A wet day.  Miss Kennedy here today.  Homer took veal to the village.  Mary went down to E.B. Deyarmond’s in the afternoon

June 14, 1940 – Friday. Mart was up this evening getting the school bill fixed up.  Guess I didn’t do much.  Homer rolling.

June 15, 1940 – Saturday. Fine.  Cleaned up the house and done some cooking.

June 16, 1940 – Sunday.  Fine.  A cold wind.  Ester’s birthday.  She and family were here to dinner and supper.  Mr Matthews of Truro preached.

June 17, 1940 – Monday.  Fine.  Homer working on the roads.  David went to Truro.  I was in bed part of the time.  A party at David Graham’s camp for Mr and Mrs Richard  S (?).

June 18, 1940 – Tuesday.  Sunny but a high wind blowing.  The boys were hoeing mangles.   Homer took Mrs M.M. MacKay and family to Austin’s wedding in Musquodoboit.

June 19, 1940 – Wednesday.  Rain.  Washed,  but raining by the time we were ready to put them out.  Grant and Min up today.  Homer took them home.

June 20, 1940 – Thursday.  Dark.  David took Grant’s horse and buggy home and went to the village with Elmer. – Going to Halifax tomorrow.

June 21, 1940 – Friday.  Finer.  Marie came up  with cream truck,  went back with Homer to reception.  Got clothes dried.

June 22, 1940 – Saturday.  Done some cleaning.  Got the ironing done, and a little cooking.

June 23, 1940 – Sunday.  Cold and windy.  We went to church.  Mr Marshall from Brookfield preached.

June 24, 1940 – Monday.  Fine.  Washed,  and washed some bed clothes.  I scrubbed part of the old house,  and cleaned the entry.

June 25, 1940 – Tuesday.  Finished the old house floor , and done the ironing.   Had a letter form David.  He passed A – one.  Is in the P.L.F.

June 26, 1940 – Wednesday.  Dark and cold.  Cleaned the cellar.  Finished a dress for myself.

June 27, 1940 – Thursday.  Fine.  Homer and I went to the village with the veal.  Was at Gordon’s for dinner.  Called to see Henry Johnson.

June 28, 1940 – Friday.  Fine.  Down to Aid at Mrs M. Graham’s.  We worked at making a quilt for the Red Cross.

June 29, 1940 – Saturday.  Cloudy and showers.  We went to the village to church.  James Alfred was baptized.  Priscilla came up with us.

June 30, 1940 – Sunday.  Fine.  Was to church and Sunday School.  Mr Morrison of Truro preached.  Homer took him in to Truro after church.

July 1, 1940 – Monday.  Fine morning.  Cold and damp in the afternoon.  Priscilla and I picked two cups of strawberries.  Alfred and Homer were hoeing.  David and Elsie here in the evening.

July 2, 1940 – Tuesday.  Pretty warm today.  The men hoeing turnips.  Had a Red Cross meeting at Bill’s.  Got the quilt put together.

July 3, 1940 – Wednesday.  Showers.  Homer cutting logs.  Picked some berries.  Mr William Brown died last night.  He was an old man – 88.

July 4, 1940 – Thursday.  A rainy day.   Homer and Percy set a bear trap at the calf that died today.   Mr Wm Brown’s funeral today.

July 5, 1940 – Friday.  Dark and cloudy.  Went to Springside to the induction of our new Minister – Rev W. A. Ross.  I churned and baked bread.

July 6, 1940 – Saturday.  Cleared off and fine today.  Picked some berries, baked biscuits and a cake.  Done some cleaning.

July 7, 1940 – Sunday.  Fine.  Jack and Ernie Crockett here to dinner.  Was to church and Sunday School. Mr Ross the new minister preached from Psalm 34-3.

July 8, 1940 – Monday.  Fine.  Washed.  The men were hoeing.  Priscilla and I picked strawberries.  Put three and a half quarts down tonight.

July 9, 1940 – Fine.  Went down and helped clean the church in the morning.  Picked strawberries in afternoon.

July 10, 1940– Wednesday.  A heavy thunder storm.  Geordie Graham’s house was struck,  and Hallie Brown’s barn burned.  Not bad here.

July 11, 1940 – Thursday.  Showers in morning.  Picked berries in afternoon.  Homer went for the rake.  Alfred hoeing in the garden.  Down to Lower Burnside in the evening.

July 12, 1940 – Friday.  Fine.  Cool  today.  Baked bread, cookies,  and made salad dressing.  Aid at George MacKay’s.  Quilted a quilt for the Red Cross.

July 13, 1940 – Saturday.  Fine.  The Joint Ladies Aid met this afternoon at Springside.  Ester and Jim came up tonight.

July 14, 1940 – Sunday.  Gordon up today.  Min here to supper.  We were all to church.

July 15, 1940 – Monday.  Fine. Washed.  Ester picking wild strawberries.  She got quite a lot.  Also got some gooseberries picked.

July 16, 1940 – Tuesday.  Picking strawberries and gooseberries.  Took Ester home in the evening.  The colt arrived this evening.

July 17, 1940 – July 19 – no entries

July 20, 1940 – Monday.  Not very fine.  Washed a big washing.

July 21, 1940 – Tuesday.  Dark day.  Done the ironing.

July 22  – July 23, 1940 – no entries

July 24, 1940 – Wednesday.  Brightened up in the afternoon.  Put in 3 loads of hay.  Picked some strawberries.  Down to Red Cross.  Put a quilt in together.

July 25, 1940 – Thursday . Sun shone but the hay did not dry much.  Picked currants and got them cooked.  At Bradford’s in the evening.

July 26, 1940 – Friday.  Not a bad hay day.

July 27, 1940 – Saturday.  Cloudy.  Lloyd finished hauling our logs.  I done some cleaning and baking.

July 28, 1940 – Sunday.  A very fine day.   Gordon and Ester,  Mrs Kennedy and the children here today.  We were to Sunday School and church.

July 29, 1940 – Monday.  Fine.  I done the washing.  Homer mowed and they got two loads of hay in.  I was sewing at a Hospital shirt.

July 30, 1940 – Tuesday.  Rained in afternoon.  I baked bread and did the ironing.  Finished my Hospital shirt.  Ina and the boys got safely to W.D. Kennedy’s.

July 31, 1940 – Wednesday.  Cleared about noon, and then hot.  Thundered about supper time. Quilted a Red Cross quilt at Min’s.  Down to the village.  Roy came up with us.

August 1, 1940 – Thursday.  Rained by dinner time.   We were down to Arch Hamilton’s in the evening.  Homer brought the old mare and colt up yesterday.

August 2, 1940 – Friday.  Cleared off.  Put two loads of hay in – not very dry.

August 3, 1940 – Saturday.  Fine.  Done some cleaning.  Baked brown bread, cookies, and a cake.

August 4, 1940 – Sundau.  Fine.  Was to Sunday School and church.  After supper we went over to Musquodoboit.  Had green peas for dinner.

August 5, 1940 – Monday.  Fine.  Washed.  Washed and waxed the floors.  Put in 3 loads of hay.

August 6, 1940 – Tuesday.  I done the ironing.   We went to the village in the evening.  Picked currants.

August 7, 1940 – Wednesday.  Dark.  Cut the hay in the swamp.  Mr and Mrs Ross called in the evening.  Arthur Kennedy here trying to sell us a range.

August 8, 1940 – Thursday.  Fine.  Haying.  I baked bread.  In the evening we went to Cecil Kent’s to a party.

August 9, 1940 – Friday.  We finished haying this afternoon.  Ina and I helped with the load from the swamp.

August 10, 1940 – Saturday.  Fine.  Baked pies,  a cake,  biscuit,  and stirred bread.  Went down to see Min and Grant in the evening.

August 11, 1940 – Sunday.  Fine.  A cool night.  Frost in some places.  Had company today.  The family crowd to dinner,  and the Musquodoboit bunch to supper.

August 12, 1940 – Monday.  Fine.  We went to Pictou County, as far as Kings Head.  Had a nice time on the sands.

August 13, 1940 – Tuesday.  Washed this morning.  George Graham of USA here to dinner.  We went to Berry Hill and got a few raspberries.

August 14, 1940 – Wednesday.  A shower in the night.  I cooked the raspberries and did the ironing.

August 15, 1940 – Thursday.  Fine.  Done some cooking and got things ready for Ina to take back.  Was down to W.D. Kennedy’s in the afternoon.

August 16, 1940 – Friday.  Fine.  Canning peas and beans.  Homer went over to Dan Brown’s.  Ina and the boys, Jack and Mary, left for USA this morning.

August 17, 1940 – Saturday.  Hot.  Done more canning.  An agent here,  and we ordered an Enterprise Range.  Baked bread and rolls, also pies and gingerbread.

August 18, 1940 – Sunday.  Hot and very dry.  Went down to Sunday School.  Only seven of us there.  Jack and Ernie Crockett here to dinner.  Homer away to supper.

August 19, 1940 – Monday.  A fog shower after dinner.  I washed,  ironed,  and churned.  Went to Springside and registered.  Called on Mrs Annie Miller.

August 20, 1940 – Tuesday.  Rained in afternoon.  We were in Truro.  Alfred and I had our glasses changed.  Alfred got a new suit.  We paid the taxes and got some other things done.

August 21, 1940 – Wednesday.  Fine.  Priscilla fell at Murray’s and broke a bone in her arm.  We took her to the Doctor.  She had to have an x-ray.  I was at the hall waiting a few hours.

August 22, 1940 – Thursday.  Fine.  Canned some peas.  Went to Springside in afternoon to John Eddie Fisher’s funeral.    Called to see Priscilla.  She is pretty good.

August 23, 1940 – Friday.  Fine.  Alfred and I went down and Nelsie and us cleaned the school house.    Aid at Helen’s in the afternoon.

August 24, 1940 – Saturday.  Showers.  Done some cooking and cleaning.  Homer went to Truro and brought our new Enterprise Range home.

August 25, 1940 – Sunday.  Cold wind.  Gordon and family up today.  Min here to supper.  Was to church and Sunday School.  Mr Ross’s text was “What think ye of Christ?”.

August 26, 1940 – Monday.  Washed.  Washed the floor and ironed.  Quite hard frost in some places.

August 27, 1940 – Tuesday.  Fine and cool.  Alfred went down to Grant’s.  The monuments came and we were down to the cemetery – Cora’s and Father’s.

August 28, 1940 – Wednesday.  Fine.  We were down to the village last evening.  Alfred came home this evening.  Min had a new window put in her kitchen.

August 29, 1940 – Thursday.  Fine.  Done some sewing.  Cut out a dress for myself.  Homer cutting logs this week.

August 30, 1940 – Friday.  Fine.  I made some mustard pickles.  In the afternoon, we went down and called on Mr and Mrs Joe Day – Their 50th Wedding day.

August 31, 1940 – Saturday.  Fine.  Baked bread and rolls.  Made gingerbread and pies.

September 1, 1940 – Sunday.  Cloudy.  A shower in the evening.  Was to church and Sunday School.  Rev A.T. MacDonald preached today.  His subject was “Hope”.

September 2, 1940 – Monday.  Fine.  Some wind in the evening.  Did not rain much.  Lottie Graham and her boys here to spend the day.  Sewing in the afternoon.

September 3, 1940 – Tuesday.  Fine.  Washed.  Homer went down and brought Dan home.  George MacKay here this morning.

September 4, 1940 – Wednesday.  Fine.  Awful dry weather.  Elmer cut our grain.  Fred and Vina Bustin, and Mrs P.S. Hamilton called this afternoon.

September 5, 1940 – Thursday.  A few small showers.  We went to Truro in the afternoon, and Priscilla had the cast taken off her arm.  Called to see Reta and Howard.

September 6, 1940 – Friday.  Some rain.  Homer went down to Gordon’s last night.  Took Dan down to do some binding.

September 7, 1940 – Saturday.  Dark in the morning – fine in afternoon.  Baked bread, bran loaf, pies, and done some cleaning.  David came home tonight.

September 8, 1940 – Sunday.  Wet day.  Homer and David went down to the cemetery this morning.  Jack and the boys here to dinner.  David went back to halifax in the evening.

September 9, 1940 – Monday.  Cleared off this morning.  Done the washing.  Homer went down to bind oats for Gordon on the mountain.

September 10, 1940 – Tuesday.  Fine.  I done the ironing and some mending.  Homer took Alice to the village to see the Doctor.  She had a fall – no ribs broken.

September 11, 1940 – Wednesday.  Cleared off fine.  Was sewing at the dress for myself.  Lelia and children,  Lois, Ena, Geordie and Vivian called in the evening.

September 12, 1940 – September 15, 1940 – no entries

September 16, 1940 – Wednesday.  Cold and raw.  Aid at Mrs P.W.’s.  I went down and stayed all night.  Homer was over to the Musquodoboit in the evening.

September 17, 1940 – Thursday.  Fine.  Homer came down for me in the morning. He was helping Roy today.

September 18, 1940 – Friday.  Fine.  I went to Truro on the Cream truck.  I was at the S.S. Institute in the First Church.  I came home with Mr Ross.

September 19, 1940 – Saturday.  Cloudy.  The men digging potatoes.  I baked bread and rolls, gingerbread and cookies.  Down to Earl Reid’s in the evening.

September 20, 1940 – no entry

September 21, 1940 – she wrote “2 pages stuck together , so made a mistake in days here”

September 22, 1940 – Sunday .Went down to Springside to Sunday School Rally.  A pretty good crowd out.  Homer went away in the afternoon.

September 23, 1940 – Monday. A fine day.  I washed and in the afternoon I walked over to Willie’s.  Homer was helping Roy with the well.  Bill and Helen here in the evening.

September 24, 1940 – Tuesday.  A windy day.  Got 4 loads of oats in.  I made tomato preserves and chow.  Done the ironing, washed the floor and waxed it.

September 25, 1940 – Wednesday.  Cloudy.  Alfred and Homer put the rakings in this morning.  I made jelly and swept upstairs.  Alfred threshed the peas.

September 26, 1940 – Thursday.  Wet morning.  Cleared off at noon.  Alfred, Hazel. Min and children here to dinner. Homer over to Dan Brown’s getting work done on the car.

September 27, 1940 – Friday.  Fine.  Hard frost this morning.

September 28, 1940 – September 30 – no entries.

October 1, 1940 – Tuesday. Fine. Homer and I went down to Graham Hill.  Homer got the windshield fixed.  I was collecting for the Red Cross.

October 2, 1940 – Wednesday.  Fine.  Aid at Mart’s today.  A big crowd.  We killed chickens in the forenoon.

October 3, 1940 – Thursday.  We went to the village.  Got $7.64 for the 7 chickens.  Took the Red Cross money to Mrs Dickie.  Had $35.55 from Burnside.

October 4, 1940 – no entry.

October 5, 1940 – Saturday.  Fine day.  David came home.  Homer and I met him in Middle Stewiacke.

October 6, 1940 – Sunday.  Fine.  Was to church and Sunday School.  Cecil, Gordon, Ester, Priscilla, Jim and Norman here to supper.  Homer took David and Cecil in to Truro.

October 7, 1940 – October 10 – no entries.

October 11, 1940 – Friday.  Fine.   – very fine.  Went down to Allen’s in the morning  and we quilted two quilts.  Had lots of pie for dinner.

October 12, 1940 – Saturday.  Baked bread and done some cleaning.  Homer working this week on the telephone line.

October 13, 1940 – Sunday.  Fine.  Was at Sunday School and church.  Mary came up to supper.  We went over to Musquodoboit in the evening.  Mildred came home with us.

October 14, 1940 – Monday.  Fine.  I done the washing, and in the afternoon, Mildred and I took a walk out in the woods.  Got the ironing done too.

October 15, 1940 – Tuesday.  Fine.  Was down to a meeting at Springside.  Dr Jean Whittier spoke.

October 16, 1940 – Wednesday.  Cold day.  Killed the pigs.  Homer and Mildred were deer hunting.  In the evening, we took Mildred home and Amanda came back with us.

October 17, 1940 – Thursday.  Fine.  Alfred over to Willie’s.  Homer took the pigs to the village and was at the garage.  Weaning the colt.

October 18, 1940 – Friday.  Wet day.  Knitting and talking.  I got my sweater done.  Amanda, Homer and I went down in the evening to see John Fulton.

October 19, 1940 – Saturday.  Fine day.  We went over to Hopewell to see Mr and Mrs Marshall..  Amanda and Alice MacKay were with us.

October 20, 1940 – Sunday.  Chilly and cold.  Was down to Sunday School.  Mr Ross is away this week.

October 21, 1940 – Monday.  Chilly.  Homer took Queen down and brought Dan home.  I washed, ironed, and washed up the floor.  Snowing tonight.

October 22, 1940 – Tuesday.  A stormy morning.  A lot of snow.  Had to have the chains on the car.  We were out to Harry Johnson’s and made out the rate roll.

October 23, 1940 – Wednesday.  Another snowy day.  Rained in the evening.  We killed chickens and I finished making a bed shirt for the Red Cross.

October 24, 1940 – Thursday.  Fine.  Snow all gone.  Homer and I took chickens tothe village.  Called at W.D. Kennedy’s, Gordon’s,  and Herman Johnson’s.  Homer plowing and I did some baking.

October 25, 1940 – Friday.  Fine.  Homer was with the thresher. Alfred pulled turnips.  I made some jam and done some other jobs around the house.

October 26, 1940 – Saturday.  Squally.  Alfred and Homer at the thresher at Geordie’s.  I baked bread and rolls. We got a barrel of apples.  David got 5 bags of carrots.

October 27, 1940 – Sunday.  Fine but cold.  Was to Sunday School and church today.  This was the last day of Sunday School for this summer.  Miss K. and the Millers here to supper.

October 28, 1940 – Monday.  Dark.  Threshing at Mart’s.  I baked cookies and pies, and knit some.

October 29, 1940 – Tuesday.  Some squalls.  The thresher here today.  Finished before 11 a.m.  Homer took the separator to Bradford’s.

October 30, 1940 – Wednesday.  Fine.  Washed and ironed.  The men pulling turnips.

October 31, 1940 – Thursday.  Fine.  Cleaning upstairs.  Homer was plowing and Alfred finished pulling turnips.  Was toa Halloween Party at the school house.

November 1, 1940 – Friday.  Fine.  Cleaned the halls today.

November 2, 1940 – Saturday.  Fine.  Baked bread and biscuit and cleaned the cellar way.  They finished the turnips.  Homer plowing.  Was down to Bill’s in the evening.

November 3, 1940 – Sunday.  Wet.  Squally day.  Was at church.  Mr Ross’ text was  “And they supposing him to have been in the company, went a day’s journey”.

November 4, 1940 – Monday.  Not a very good wash day.  Did not get the quilts dried.

November 5, 1940 – Tuesday.  Fine – a grand day.  Alfred was digging parsnips, and Homer is hauling manure.

November 6, 1940 – Wednesday.  Wet in afternoon.  Went to Aid at Cyrus’, and then to the concert at Springside.  Had a good time.

November 7, 1940 – Thursday.  Some squalls.  Went down to Pembroke on the cream truck.  Helped Alice on her birthday.  She had a nice birthday.

November 8, 1940 – Friday.  The pullets have been laying this week.  Got 5 eggs today.

November 9, 1940 – Saturday.  Cloudy.  Washed David’s underware.  Baked bread and biscuits and pies.  Homer and David out a while hunting.

November 10, 1940 – Sunday.  Fine.  To church at Springside. – Communion.   Had a call from A.D. Johnson and family.  David went to Halifax with them.

November 11, 1940 – Monday.  Cloudy.  Not very cold.  We went to the Remembrance Day Service.  At Grant’s to dinner.  Down to Mart’s in the evening.

November 12, 1940 – Tuesday.  A windy day.  I washed and the clothes dried pretty good.  Cleaned the entry and the separator room.

November 13, 1940 – Wednesday.  Wet day.  Done the ironing and some mending.  Homer went out to the hunting camp in the afternoon.

November 14, 1940 – Thursday.  Wet and dark.  Cleaned the pantry.  Washed and ironed the kitchen curtains.

November 15, 1940 – Friday.  Wet.  Cleaned the kitchen.  Washed  all the walls.  Alfred helped me.

November 16, 1940 – Saturday.  Still wet.  Rained hard in evening.  Homer got home about noon – had some meat.  Miss Kennedy here for the week-end.

November 17, 1940 – Sunday.  Cleared, and the sun ahone.  Was to church at Springside in the morning,  and Burnside in the afternoon.  Mr and Mrs Ross and Lorna here to supper.

November 18, 1940 – Monday.  Not very fine.  Washed, and the clothes dried enough to iron.  Finished my third pair of rifle mitts.  Homer over helping Roy.

November 19, 1940 – Tuesday.  Cold , snow flurries. I knit, and baked doughnuts.  Homer plowed a while today.   Over and helped Roy fill in his ditch.  Have the water in the house now.

November 20, 1940 – Wednesday.  Killed 8 chickens and done some cooking.

November 21, 1940 – Thursday.  Cloudy.  Went to the village.  Got $ 9.20 for 8 chickens. I stayed at Gordon’s.

November 22, 1940 – Friday.  Squally.  I walked over to see  Mrs Miller this afternoon.  Ester and Gordon went to the play at Springside.

November 23, 1940 – Saturday.  Not very fine.  The family miserable with colds.  Alfred and I down to Bill Kennedy’s to supper.

November 24, 1940 – Sunday.  We went out to the Branch to church with Gordon. (Communion)  Came home before supper.

November 25, 1940 – Monday.  Washed and put the oilcloth down in the bedroom,  and shellacked it.

November 26, 1940 – Tuesday.  Cold.  Butchered the bull this afternoon.  Elmer came up and helped them.

November 27, 1940 – Wednesday.  Snowed fast in afternoon.  Cutting up the meat.  He weighed 560 pounds.  Ernie is here tonight.

November 28, 1940 – Thursday.  Quite a lot of snow.  Ernie went back this a.m.  Fried out the tallow.

November 29, 1940 –  Friday.  Fine.  Homer and I made some calls.  I was at Mrs J.W. Deyarmond’s to supper.

November 30, 1940 – Saturday.  Done some cooking and cleaning up.  Made pickle for the beef.

December 1, 1940 – A wet day.  No church.  Mr Ross fell this morning, and hurt himself some.

December 2, 1940 – Monday.  Fine.  Washed and ironed.  Got the curtains of the bedroom and living room washed and ironed.

December 3, 1940 – Tuesday.  Cold. Some snow.  Baked bread and rolls, also cookies.  Cleaned the room.

December 4, 1940 – Wednesday.  Cold morning.  12 below zero.  Fine day.  Aid here today.  18 here to supper.  Mr and Mrs Ross were here for the first time.

December 5, 1940 – Thursday.  Snowed some.  Cut up suet for mince meat,  and cooked the meat.  Cored and peeled the apples.

December 6, 1940 – Friday.  Snowwy and dirty.  Made the mincemeat.  Homer went to the Blacksmith Shop in the afternoon.  Got the horses shoes sharpened.

December 7, 1940 – Saturday.  Dark day.  Homer shod the horses this forenoon.  I baked pies and doughnuts.  Made some calls in the evening.

December 8, 1940 – Sunday.  Wet day.  Rained heavy.  Homer took Gladys McKillop to Stewiacke.  Water over the road at the oak stump so he stayed at Grant’s.

December  9, 1940 – Monday.  Dark, foggy day.  Homer got home this morning.  Washed but did not put the clothes out.  Washed the floors.

December 10, 1940 – Tuesday.  Fine.  Put the clothes out and got them dried and ironed.  Baked a fruitcake and canned some meat.

December 11, 1940 – Wednesday.  A little snow.  Grand wheeling.  We went up to Andrew Dickie’s for supper and spent the evening.

December 12, 1940 – Thursday.  Fine.  Mr Mosher brought us 5 ton of lime today.  I was doing some sewing.  Made a slip and a night dress.

December 13, 1940 – Friday.  Raining.  Turned colder at night.  Baked 2 pies and some gingerbread.  Allen Deyarmond here to supper.  Homer took him over to Willie’s.

December 14, 1940 – Saturday.  Fine.  A raw day.  Homer, Murray, Muir and I went to Truro.  The roads pretty icy.  Had a letter from David. He is in Camp Hill Hospital.

December 15, 1940 – Sunday.  Cold day.  Was to church in the afternoon.  The text was “And the word was made flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld his glory”.

December 16, 1940 – Monday.  Chilly day.  Homer was sowing lime this morning.  I washed and ironed the clothes.  Homer went to the village for a Doctor’s examination.

December 17, 1940 – Tuesday.  Killed the turkeys and Homer was down helping brush the road.  Quite a lot of ice.

December 18, 1940 – Wednesday.  This is what happened on  Thursday – butchered the beef and went to the Christmas entertainment.  A good concert.  (Wednesday  wrote onThursday – a mistake)

December 19, 1940 – Cold.  Homer and I went to the village with the turkeys.  Twelve turkeys weighed 159 pounds.  The price was 28 cents a pound.

December 20, 1940 – Friday.  Cleaned up the house and baked bread.

December 21, 1940 – Saturday.  Soft day.  Muir MacKay’s car went over the bank on  Grant’s hill.  David came home in the evening.  Homer went to meet him.

December 22, 1940 – Sunday.  Fine.  Washed David’s clothes this morning.  Went down to Gordon’s to supper.  At the candle-light service in the village.

December 23, 1940 – Monday.  Fine.  Washed.  The clothes did not dry very good.  Homer took David to Brookfield this morning.  Homer brought a new radio home.  Brushed the road in the p.m.

December 24, 1940 – Tuesday.  Fine.  Done the ironing, some cooking,  and got some presents tied up.

December 25, 1940 – Wednesday – Christmas.  Fine.  Pretty cold morning.  Had turkey dinner.  Gordon, Ester and children here.Made some calls on Graham Hill in the afternoon.

December 26, 1940 – Thursday.  Fine.  Gordon, Ester, and children went home this afternoon. Homer and Gordon out to the woods in the morning.  Down to Mart’s in the evening.

December 27, 1940 – Friday.  Fine.  We were down to Den’s for supper and spent the evening.  Thirty-five years today since we were married.

December 28, 1940 – Saturday.  Fine.  Quite mild.  Baked rolls and a cake.  Homer and Alfred cut some logs.  John R. Graham had a stroke.  Alice Graham went to the hospital yesterday.

December 29, 1940 – Sunday.  Soft day.  The roads icy.  We went over to Musquodoboit.  Alec and Mildred home from Halifax.  Bertha came over with us to Alvin Ellis’.

December 30, 1940 – Monday.  Soft and raining.  Washed, but did not put the clothes out.   Jack Crockett and Henry here to dinner.  Percy got 188 pounds of meat this morning.

December 31, 1940 – Tuesday.  Wet and cloudy.  Went to Eastville to Georgena Dickie’s funeral. She was 19 years old.  The day she died was the 29th.  The ice gone on the roads a lot – and thawed.

1934 1935 1936 1937 1938 1939 1940 1941 1942 1943
1944 1945 1946 1947 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953
1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963